2019 Keep Moving Challenge

Options

Comments

• klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all,

I am going to quietly aim to do 100 miles in January, I say quietly as I have seen a few folk on social media putting their challenges out there and that’s not for me. when I say a hundred miles in January I mean ’out for a walk’ miles not just the pottering about ones. This will be me, and my dog! I generally do 3 miles walking the dog Monday -Friday and do more on a weekend so its perfectly doable, it just depends whether the weather takes a turn for the worse. I also would like to incorporate more hills. I have a bad knee which does hinder me when it comes to terrain but I think im perfectly capable of maybe doing 4 miles a day when the weather is ok (rain etc doesn’t bother me by the way I mean snow and ice for slipping on)
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Also guilty of sitting to long at my pc at work, I like the idea of a fitbit nudging me to get moving, what are peoples opinions of the fitbit charge 3 ? I currently track my milage on my iphone
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Started off more slowly than I wanted, but I have started. :)
    2.37km yesterday, 6.04km today. Hopefully up to somewhere near I want to be by the end of the week as I've been pretty sedentary lately.
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    I signed up to RED January challenge run by the mental health charity Mind. Though running every day is not required (the challenge is to be active every day), I've set myself the goal of running each day. I'm trying to run as far as I can and then finish it up with walking. Yesterday I went out for 45 minutes, mostly walking but ran for about 8 mins. This morning I was out for 25 mins and ran for about 10 mins. So far I've done 6.6 miles out of the 1000 I'm hoping for!

I don't intend to run every day for the entire year but will assess how I feel at the end of January....
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Sleazy wrote: »
    Started off more slowly than I wanted, but I have started. :)
    2.37km yesterday, 6.04km today. Hopefully up to somewhere near I want to be by the end of the week as I've been pretty sedentary lately.

There will always be good days and bad days, the trick is not to dwell on either but to look forward to tomorrow :D
  • A tracker story:-
    A friend walked over a mile pushing a pram and registered practically zero steps - arms didn't move much. When she got home she knitted for an hour or so and really racked up the miles. True steps being ignored. False steps being registered. Misleading or what!
    I don't own a tracker and I don't want to. It would appear that different movements produce different readings. I can appreciate that, say, running with a tracker can give valuable information, but using it all day through differing activities can be misleading.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I'd like to join in. I managed 1000 miles in 2017 but 2018 saw a couple of foot injuries which held me back.
    This year I am setting the target of doing something active (beyond the daily dog walking) for at least 30 mins every week. This might be a run or swim or horse ride or maybe even cycle. It might not sound that ambitious but I managed 2 runs last year - in total!
    I had a free trial at the local running club last night and lived to tell the tale (current 5k pace is 40 mins so I am no runner). I will go again next week - I get 3 free before I have to join.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There will always be good days and bad days, the trick is not to dwell on either but to look forward to tomorrow :D

True - today was better (11000 steps / 8km approx). :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Hi
    I had a free trial at the local running club last night and lived to tell the tale (current 5k pace is 40 mins so I am no runner). ...

I often go for a coffee at Wetherspoons which is 2.5 miles (4km) away. Takes me walking without stopping (but perspiring) 50+ minutes, so 40 minutes for an extra 1k from my perspective would be brilliant! Well done. :T
  • alba7
    alba7 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    OK, for the first week of my 2019 challenge I walked 39.2 miles, including at least one hill on each walk (normally 2 or 3). I've only managed 34 miles a week before this, so I hope I can keep it up.

I've only just figured out the functions on my new tracker watch, so it says I've only done 19 minutes of cardio work (convinced I've done more, I'll set it properly next week and then see!)

Back at work next week, which may get in the way of my exercise a bit :) but I'll see how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure