Santander Select Account

Options

Comments

• sje_111
    sje_111 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a 123 account and am on the select programme - I also have a gold debit card which gives me fee free withdrawals from any Santander ATM anywhere worldwide.

I received a letter recently to say that my card is due for replacement and as they don't produce the gold cards any more, I would be reverting to the red debit card.

One new "feature" of the new card is that fee-free withdrawals overseas will ONLY be in Spain (and in the UK of course), NOT worldwide.

Not sure if that applies if you sign up for the Select branded account, but it might be worth checking first.
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    I've had this account now for over a month. There is NO perceived benefit to this account over a Santander 1 2 3 account.

You get a black debit card and that's the only difference.

The 24 hour select line is rubbish, It sometimes takes longer for them to answer than on the normal line and when they do, if your query is anything above and beyond payments and balance they have to transfer you into the normal queue anyway.

I called last week to cancel a debit card and got told "i'm not trained on cards" had to wait another 15 mins to speak to someone else.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Toe-Jam wrote: »
    I've had this account now for over a month. There is NO perceived benefit to this account over a Santander 1 2 3 account.

You get a black debit card and that's the only difference.

The 24 hour select line is rubbish, It sometimes takes longer for them to answer than on the normal line and when they do, if your query is anything above and beyond payments and balance they have to transfer you into the normal queue anyway.

I called last week to cancel a debit card and got told "i'm not trained on cards" had to wait another 15 mins to speak to someone else.

If memory serves, the ATM limit is higher £1000 vs £750

The US ATMs are surcharge/ transaction charge free as are the Portuguese / Spanish ones. Not tried a fourth country yet (if you exclude the UK)
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    If memory serves, the ATM limit is higher £1000 vs £750

Who takes £1000 out of an atm these days ? Never taken out more than a couple of hundred in my life.

Made £6.59 in cashbach last month on my Select account , swiftly followed by a £5 charge for the privilege of it.

So giving Santander £5k a month gets you a call centre line where they cant do anything cause they're "not trained in that" and a fancy black debit card.

I use the curve card abroad, so don't pay fees at any machine , don't have to go hunting for a Santander one.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Toe-Jam wrote: »
    Who takes £1000 out of an atm these days ? Never taken out more than a couple of hundred in my life.

Made £6.59 in cashbach last month on my Select account , swiftly followed by a £5 charge for the privilege of it.

So giving Santander £5k a month gets you a call centre line where they cant do anything cause they're "not trained in that" and a fancy black debit card.

I use the curve card abroad, so don't pay fees at any machine , don't have to go hunting for a Santander one.

As a regular visitor to the US, charge/commission free cash is actually a fairly useful tool.

Good luck with your Curve card....

I found it so flaky that I cut mine up.

It would randomly either not work completely or decline randomly.
    It's cashback scheme often doesn't work as it looks for the brand in the merchant name.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am a select customer although I suspect I no longer fit the criteria for it.

I like having the relationship manager and a real person on the end of the phone. When my husband had his card cloned it was useful to have a staff member who sorted it all out for us.

I have also withdrawn up to £750 from the cash machines on one day before which I think only applies to select in fact it might be £1000 now as I seem to remember reading somewhere. Not needed to do that very often but useful to have.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh yes and the shiny gold card looks good.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I like having the relationship manager and a real person on the end of the phone.

The relationship manager phones me up every now & then to tell me he's still alive & ask would I like to meet him. But if I phone the number on the Select business card they gave me, I get a call centre not my relationship manager. They have always been helpful though so perhaps it's a Select call centre.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    The relationship manager phones me up every now & then to tell me he's still alive & ask would I like to meet him.
    I am sure it's absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Santander are now offering investments again :rotfl:
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need to look after your money people

MS money for multiple accounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income