The National Trust and visitors with disabilities

Options
Glad
Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
The National Trust welcomes visitors with disabilities

Entry fees
Our admission policy admits the necessary companion of a disabled visitor free of charge.

Resources
The majority of our properties offer Braille and large print guides. Many properties are also developing sensory information.

Information
The National Trust Access Guide 2008 (PDF / 4MB) provides more information about the accessibility of our properties.

More info by clicking the link National Trust
The downloadable access guides are very good
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At some properties, they have also given their guides a basic introduction to sign language. Not so sure that they included any other aspects of communication with people with a hearing loss, but at least there's an awareness.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for this - there are a few NT places near me, and I never knew about this :D
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Shelle
    Shelle Posts: 353 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about the disabled person themselves? I have been to several National Trust properties and was refused any concessions at all of them.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think it's along the same lines as the cinema. if the disabled person chooses to go then they have to pay but the carer goes free as disabled person can't go out without them. I usually split the cost 50/50 with whoever i'm with so we both get in half price.
  • Shelle
    Shelle Posts: 353 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do you know if you are eligble to have a "carer"? What disabilities is accepted to have carers (if that makes sense?)?

I only ask as I am deaf but although I am not considered "normal" for want of a better word, I am also considered not disabled enough for many benefits.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Shelle wrote: »
    How do you know if you are eligble to have a "carer"? What disabilities is accepted to have carers (if that makes sense?)?

I only ask as I am deaf but although I am not considered "normal" for want of a better word, I am also considered not disabled enough for many benefits.

Same here Shelle, I have a glaucoma and have 90% vision loss in one eye. Yet I am still not disabled enough to get benefits.

I get round the carer issue by taking my chap with me - in fact he makes a point of asking about concessions for disabled people. In his view, he is the carer or any friend that I may have with me. Usually we have found that the carer goes free and the disabled person has to pay for instance The Black Country Museum and Cadbury World operate this policy.

I have National Trust membership so I am not affected by their charges.

I have on occasion been to the National Gallery in London to see various exhibitions (ones that you have to pay for), I have sometimes been allowed a concessionary fee and have even been handed a large print guide to assist me when I wander around the exhibits.

One thing to note National Express coaches do concessionary fares for disabled people although when you book online it comes out as an Over 60 ticket. I have found it invaluable when I have had to travel anywhere by coach.
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    Shelle wrote: »

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringForSomeone/MoneyMatters/CarersAllowance/DG_10012522
  • amanda40
    amanda40 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Options
    Usually if you show your blue badge or letter with proof of DLa ( any rate)that will get you carer in free.
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    amanda40 wrote: »
    Usually if you show your blue badge or letter with proof of DLa ( any rate)that will get you carer in free.
    But it is not limited to those getting DLA!

FIL has booked theatre tickets, mentioned that he is very deaf, and MIL gets in free as his 'carer'. they are not getting any benefits, nor are they asked for 'proof'.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    Options
    If you click on to
    Attraction and Park Entry Prices

on the national trust site you wish to visit
    you will see the prices for blue badge holders
    eg .... Tatton Park
    March 15th 2008 to March 20th 2009
    Vehicle Entry Charge £4.50
    Blue Badge Holder £2.50
    Car entry fee applies to all visitors including National Trust members.
    Car entry passes are available to purchase:
    Annual £90 (£45 blue badge holder)
    Quarterly £30
    Monthly £12.50
    Horse Box £4.50 + £3.50 per horse
    Free entry for walkers and cyclists.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure