36 free books

Options
2»

Comments

• KG
    KG Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I have tried the library. I use it all the time. Just looking for a way to be introduced to authors and books I wouldn't have normally picked up in the library / bookshop.

KG
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    KG, I think everyone's giving you a hard time and it's not very nice. I actually had this letter last year, and sent it onto six people. Some told me they weren't interested, which was fine, but the long and the short of it was that I got two books back, both of which I read and enjoyed, and neither of which I would have picked out for myself in the library/bookshop. So, you're right, it's a good idea - worked for me, anyway.
    cheers, Caroline
    :D
  • droopsnout
    droopsnout Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Of course chain letters don't work, for reasons explained over and over again. But one other reason is that I, for one, would be far too embarrassed to send such letters on to friends and relatives. They'd think - rightly or wrongly, as I can't see any harm in doing it for books - that I'd lost my marbles.
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was a similar scheme going round my way for a while, only it was knickers and not books that were on the go!

Not wanting to be the boring one who wouldn't play, I duly went off to M+S and bought nice knickers to send to the next name on the list and then sat back and waited for mine to arrive. And waited.......and waited.......and.......eventually (weeks later) an envelope dropped onto my mat with a very fetching pair of Ann Summers thong things complete with fluffy bobbles. ;D Trust me - I do not have a fluffly thong thing type bottom - and neither do I have the other 35 pairs of knickers that were suposed to appear!

So, whilst I think it's a decent enough idea in theory, in practice it fails miserably and I will without doubt be happy to be the boring one who wont play next time!! ;D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi KG,

not sure if you'll get this off the ground here
    but if you are interested in new authors why not read the book thread in the Discussion Board,
    CLICK HERE
    I decided to get 'The Lovely Bones', which I would never have chosen for myself, after reading what people had said about it and I loved it.

Happy reading
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • elfmay
    elfmay Posts: 18,716 Forumite
    Options
    Ahh - but then you'd have to buy more than one book.  I'd get through 36 good books, and the others I can give to charity, 'release into the wild' with book crossing, or sell on ebay...

KG
    try your local market? a few near me have book stalls where I can 'swap' books or sell/purchase old books
    I need someone really bad! Are you really bad?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure