Why does a poll thread get bumped whe someone votes?

Options
Pretty sure that it never used to happen but now when someone votes on the poll, the thread gets bumped up which ever board that it is on and the time showing for last post made is updated to when the vote was cast in spite of showing the actual time the post was made when you open the thread.

would you like the thread to get bumped up to the top of the board when a vote is cast? 12 votes

yes
50% 6 votes
no
50% 6 votes

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi!

Yes, we changed this setting in August.

Here's our post announcing it:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5693414

PS I've voted yes. I think it's a great way to encourage more people to post polls and to join in on them.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've voted no - I think the thread should be bumped when someone actually posts a new message to it rather than when there's a new vote because that means if more people vote than post content to a thread then the thread will look more popular than it probably is in reality.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    I've voted no - I think the thread should be bumped when someone actually posts a new message to it rather than when there's a new vote because that means if more people vote than post content to a thread then the thread will look more popular than it probably is in reality.

I think what bothers me most is the updated time of the last post to the time that the latest vote was cast.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Suggest the mods actually look at the polls most are totally irrelevant to the thread .
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Suggest the mods actually look at the polls most are totally irrelevant to the thread .

Could you pop a few links below as examples?

Thanks!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 4 May 2019 at 12:08PM
    Options
    ... I think it's a great way to encourage more people to post polls and to join in on them.

I don't think MSEers are interested in participating in polls :(

I created a poll 2-3 hours ago here
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5997780

Has 111 views so far which is great :)

But it only has 5 votes so far :(
    ... one of which was mine at time of creating the poll, and one by a MSEer who posted within 3 mins of the poll creation, blaming my browser or device.

As an aside, the overewhelming results of this other poll were ignored by MSE anyway ;)
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5204963

and don't even get me started on Brexit ...:cool:
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Benight wrote: »
    I don't think MSEers are interested in participating in polls :(

I created a poll 2-3 hours ago here
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5997780

Has 111 views so far which is great :)

But it only has 5 votes so far :(
    ... one of which was mine at time of creating the poll, and one by a MSEer who posted within 3 mins of the poll creation, blaming my browser or device.:

To be honest it’s a rather specific subject that won’t grab most peoples interest.
  • Benight
    First Post
    edited 4 May 2019 at 12:36PM
    Options
    To be honest it’s a rather specific subject that won’t grab most peoples interest.

With respect, 111 people have taken the time and trouble to view the thread in the fisrt 2-3 hours of posting as I indicated and am pleased with, so I don't agree "that won’t grab most peoples interest".

The poll is aimed at everyone, as they either can see the link as is, or are redirected.

It is important to understand what people are able to see, as posts are made referring others to a page that I for one (and everyone but one so far who has voted) cannot actually see.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I’m one of the people who opened the thread. But it didn’t look sufficiently interesting or relevant to make me more than skim it and click away. You might be expecting too much of people. I’ve made several threads that didn’t get replies. Such is the nature of online forums.
  • Benight
    First Post
    Options
    Yes I’m one of the people who opened the thread. But it didn’t look sufficiently interesting or relevant to make me more than skim it and click away. You might be expecting too much of people. I’ve made several threads that didn’t get replies. Such is the nature of online forums.

You may not find the content interesting, but others have even taken the time & effort to respond within that thread for which I am also grateful.

And you are taking the time and effort to discuss this matter in this thread. How mucvh effort does it take to make a click to vote on a poll, ... especially once you have taken the time and trouble to open the thread to read it in it's entirety

Remember, you get to see the OP by hovering over the thread before opening it, when you view it from the list of all threads on the appropriate board. You can choose there whether or not it is of sufficient interest to view more. Having decided it was of interest to actually read the whole thread, it is surprising that 95% failed to make one more click to vote.
    Hence why I don't think MSEers are interested in polls based on my experience of the only poll I have created.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure