MPGS - What's it Like??

Options

Comments

• jojo_the_joyful
    Options
    Hi all.

I asked hubby who he applied to 6 years ago now & he contacted MPGS direct from Germany before we repatriated for his last 6 months. That is how he had the number to nag and nag and nag. It is all differently now apparently.

However even then he was offered a posting miles and miles away yet our local camp (where he got) was crying out for men. I think that was a bit of fill the hardest places first.

Now my hubby has told me something that could further explain the delays. (Not that it is any help to you) Apparently some of the camps / stations are being regraded and so there are soldiers who have to be offered the chance to re-locate or leave. There is one chap hubby knows in Barnstable who was offered Scotland.

Best of luck every one !!!
  • MissKitty
    MissKitty Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all.

I asked hubby who he applied to 6 years ago now & he contacted MPGS direct from Germany before we repatriated for his last 6 months. That is how he had the number to nag and nag and nag. It is all differently now apparently.

However even then he was offered a posting miles and miles away yet our local camp (where he got) was crying out for men. I think that was a bit of fill the hardest places first.

Now my hubby has told me something that could further explain the delays. (Not that it is any help to you) Apparently some of the camps / stations are being regraded and so there are soldiers who have to be offered the chance to re-locate or leave. There is one chap hubby knows in Barnstable who was offered Scotland.

Best of luck every one !!!

I think your hubby might be right.

I went to the Guard Room on our local camp today and spoke to 2 very nice MPGS men. They said alot of camps are closing down so they need to relocate the guards on these camps first before taking on new MPGS staff. One of the men said it took him 2 years to get in, he said it wasn't what he planned to do but there was nothing decent on civvy street.

I told him my hubby has been applying for loads of jobs and doesn't even get a response, we though he would of been in with a good chance with his service background. The MPGS man told me it was exactly the same problem for him and it's happening to alot of people.

A bit disappointing really, you don't know if you will hear in weeks, months or years!!

Keep us all up to date everyone.
  • Shaithis14
    Options
    Technically the post above is a bit misleading. Sites are not closing (a few might be, but not enough to effect the MPGS).

What is happening is a re-classification of sites. That simply means that if a site has enough people there to manage it's own guarding the MPGS are being withdrawn and redistributed to other sites that require them, as the civvy guardforces are being removed from there and being replaced by us. These sites are getting their manning upped. The site I am at is due to raise it's numbers by an extra 10+ people.

The MPGS are still recruiting, so the ACIO is giving out wrong information. There is currently a promtions freeze due to the moving of manpower. It isn't a good idea to promote 40-50 people and then tell them that the site they are going to does'nt have a vacancy for their rank. Once everyone is settled in the new sites the promotions will start to flow again.

Glasgow will be under a lot of pressure now to sort out the manning situation (moving people about) and also with the influx of new recruits. We are still crying out for people as all 3 arms (Army, Fleet and Air) are still requiring more and more of us.

The bottleneck does seem to be at Glasgow. But, as somebody above has stated, they have to do loads with limited manpower. As always, please be patient and don't give up.

Most of all, don't believe any careers office who says we are not recruiting. We most certainly are. :D
  • MissKitty
    Options
    Shaithis14 wrote: »
    Technically the post above is a bit misleading. Sites are not closing (a few might be, but not enough to effect the MPGS).

What is happening is a re-classification of sites. That simply means that if a site has enough people there to manage it's own guarding the MPGS are being withdrawn and redistributed to other sites that require them, as the civvy guardforces are being removed from there and being replaced by us. These sites are getting their manning upped. The site I am at is due to raise it's numbers by an extra 10+ people.

The MPGS are still recruiting, so the ACIO is giving out wrong information. There is currently a promtions freeze due to the moving of manpower. It isn't a good idea to promote 40-50 people and then tell them that the site they are going to does'nt have a vacancy for their rank. Once everyone is settled in the new sites the promotions will start to flow again.

Glasgow will be under a lot of pressure now to sort out the manning situation (moving people about) and also with the influx of new recruits. We are still crying out for people as all 3 arms (Army, Fleet and Air) are still requiring more and more of us.

The bottleneck does seem to be at Glasgow. But, as somebody above has stated, they have to do loads with limited manpower. As always, please be patient and don't give up.

Most of all, don't believe any careers office who says we are not recruiting. We most certainly are. :D

I think I was told slightly wrong information, they probably meant camps are being re-classified not closing lots of them down.

I'm more stressed about it than hubby (hence why I am still on the computer after midnight) as I do the finances in the house and the agency work is not good at the moment.

I'm trying to support him and help with all the job applications but it's so frustrating when you hear nothing back. :(
  • Jim2509
    Options
    Hello all, I found out today having applied in March 2009 to the MPGS, that the stupid idiot at my AFCO stopped updating my application in Jun 2011, so guess what..it got binned without me knowing sod all about it. I only found out when I phoned my AFCO to be told by the very helpfull new AFCO Sgt that the old AFCO was shut down, my application only holds for 12 months, then if it's not updated it gets binned and I'd have to come in and apply AGAIN, which I'm going to do. Obviously I'm not very happy about it, so if you are waiting for your AFCO to call you to offer you a job, phone them EVERY month instead or you may suffer the same fate as me. Best of luck to you all.
  • jojo_the_joyful
    Options
    Jim2509 wrote: »
    Hello all, I found out today having applied in March 2009 to the MPGS, that the stupid idiot at my AFCO stopped updating my application in Jun 2011, so guess what..it got binned without me knowing sod all about it. I only found out when I phoned my AFCO to be told by the very helpfull new AFCO Sgt that the old AFCO was shut down, my application only holds for 12 months, then if it's not updated it gets binned and I'd have to come in and apply AGAIN, which I'm going to do. Obviously I'm not very happy about it, so if you are waiting for your AFCO to call you to offer you a job, phone them EVERY month instead or you may suffer the same fate as me. Best of luck to you all.

Jim I am so sorry this happened to you.

Now you all know why I put in every post NAG NAG NAG:D

Also just because you nag, don't let it settle because if you talk to different people at different time, the !!!!! and the elbow disassociation tend to apply. For example, you apply to Plymouth, you are told Plymouth is full, yet the staff at Plymouth tell you they are 3 blokes short.

Nag Nag Nag :D
  • MissKitty
    Options
    How frustrating and annoying for you Jim, I hope you get your application in again soon and you have better luck this time.

My hubby rings up his AFCO once a month, nothing has changed but he's just letting him know he's still there waiting. Luckily he speaks to the same Sgt every time. This Sgt said he is interested to see how long it will take my hubby to get in as he is leaving soon and wants to apply so hopefully he wont let my hubbies application slip through the net.
  • Jud546
    Jud546 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Just heard from my AFCO yesterday that I start at the end of the month at my second choice station. Thats obviously good news for me, but it also shows that the wheels are turning, albeit slowly at first but when the offer is made you can be in pretty quickly. So hang in there everyone and good luck. I will update when I hear further.
  • MissKitty
    Options
    Jud546 wrote: »
    Just heard from my AFCO yesterday that I start at the end of the month at my second choice station. Thats obviously good news for me, but it also shows that the wheels are turning, albeit slowly at first but when the offer is made you can be in pretty quickly. So hang in there everyone and good luck. I will update when I hear further.

Thanks for the update Jud546, that's brilliant news, I'm really pleased for you.

Good luck when you start, hope it all goes well, keep us all up to date.:j
  • Jud546
    Jud546 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    MissKitty wrote: »
    Thanks for the update Jud546, that's brilliant news, I'm really pleased for you.

Good luck when you start, hope it all goes well, keep us all up to date.:j

Thank you MissKitty,

I will make sure I let you know more when I do. It took about 5 mths from application to being made an offer- so hopefully your hubby will hear something soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure