PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Elderly parent / selling her house

Options

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    The care that she is getting in the care home is the best that she can have. Why do you think you can do better when you have no experience?
    My concern too. It's such a hard job.

Also, elderly parents etc might hint at wanting to live with their offspring, but only when they think they'll be mobile but several years older. If they thought they'd not be able to do anything for themselves, often the last person they'd want doing personal/intimate things for them would be their son/daughter/in-laws - not to mention them putting their lives on hold which they probably wouldn't want either.

I saw the effect it had on my mum looking after my dad at home for 6 years - especially the last few months of his life.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She has a brother, but to cut a long story short, he's pretty much out of the picture.

Her property is worth approx £750,000

When MIL passes away will he come back into the picture ?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Suspect the real question is "how can I legally get my hands on my quarter of a million pound inheritance before the MIL dies then dump her on the state system and taxpayer when it all gets too much without it coming back to bite me on the @rse?"
  • Trevor84
    Options
    Have social services been supportive of your idea to rehome your MIL or is it at present just an idea that you have formed without specifically getting their agreement?

We are just weighing options at the moment.
  • Trevor84
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Suspect the real question is "how can I legally get my hands on my quarter of a million pound inheritance before the MIL dies then dump her on the state system and taxpayer when it all gets too much without it coming back to bite me on the @rse?"

I find your statement quite offensive. Our first concern is for my MIL well-being.
    We are not using the state as its all self-funded. Obviously I have to enquire about tax implications, hence why I'm on this forum!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2018 at 5:20PM
    Options
    I think we should stop trying to 2nd guess the care/medical issues. Whether the OP and family are up to managing whatever needs she has is a complex issue, best decided by them, in conjunction with social services and medical advice.

there are too many variables for us to comment.
    Trevor84 wrote: »
    If we decided to purchase as tenants in common as you mentioned, I would assume inheritance tax would still apply if she died?
    Yes if she jointly owned the property as TIC, then her % of the value of the property at the date of death would be part of her Estate, both for Inheritance Tax purposes, and for Inheritance itself.

Hence my earlier question about her will.
    She has a brother, but to cut a long story short, he's pretty much out of the picture.
    Again, it's not for us to comment if you don't want us to, but does that mean

a) he does not get involved/care/want to help, or
    b) he is not included in her Will?

If she has excluded him from her Will, and your wife is sole Beneficiary, that simplifies things (as you'll inherit the property). But if brother is to inherit 50% of her Estate, then he is most definately not 'out of the picture'.

Has she made a will and do you know what it says?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,535 Forumite
    Options

Has your MIL made a will? Even if she has, remember that a will can be contested.

If she has chosen not to leave a legacy to her son, one hopes that a letter has been left with her will to explain her decision in this respect.

I have known a case where there was a bitter and distressing dispute between brother and sister because the brother felt that fair provision had not been made for him and his family.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 February 2018 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Trevor84 wrote: »
    We are just weighing options at the moment.

Without the agreement of social services there is little point even weighing up your options.

I would suspect that they would not be supportive of your suggestion so it is likely to be a waste of your time even considering it!

Not what you want to hear possibly but I suspect your MIL has been placed where she has for her own benefit and based on her needs going forward and wanting to change the situation in the way you describe will not be an option

I am quite confident that she would not have been given a care home place in the first place if there was any possibility of your wife being deemed appropriate as her main carer either in the home you currently occupy or after the purchase of a suitably adapted property.

May I ask why you did not moot this suggestion before she entered the care system,it may have been easier to arrange then rather than now she has entered.

How long has your MIL been in residential care?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As long as the care home fees are paid up to date when she moves in with you then legally this can be done.

Depravation of assets can and will be a future concern if say, 3 years down the line after you have sold up and moved then you decide to put her back into care.

They can and will chase you for the fess once more, there is no time limit on depravation of assets.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Options
    There doesn't necessary have to be any deprivation of assets i.e. MIL can own part of the new house in her own right.
    This does complicate matter if MIL dies and there is another beneficiary or MIL needs to go into care (but wouldn't need that £150K immedaitely if she has another £600K).

I think you should talk to social services who will have a much better idea of her needs but personally I think 24/7 is a very scary propspect. They would be the best people to advise.

Ignore posters who aren't being helpful. That's what you get if you ask for free advice unfortuantely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure