PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Brilliant VJsmum ,now that's what I call using up food to its fullest extent :):):)

LFHW award of the week:):):)

JackieOxx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tins to use up today, only a couple of years past BBE date so they'll be fine a lentil dhal and a vegetable Balti together with a 2016 tin of peaches chilling in the fridge to finish with. Moving is good for the pantry!
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Made a mousakka with lamb mince. (Played with the recipe a little!)
    Used home grown aubergine (included a courgette as well).
    Finished of the lasagna sheet (used instead of layers of aubergine).
    Used a bechamel sauce - that has just passed its best before date.
    Hubby tucked into it - it was a hit. Yay!
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    MMF007 - how did the jam set ?

Dinner tonight was the contents of last night’s doggy bag from the Chinese with the addition of boiled rice & peas - yummy :)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    I love picking blackberries - I made 5 jars of jam yesterday from the last few blackberries from last year plus some of this year's, so now i need to go and pick some more to stock up :D:D

I tend to get a few each day while I'm out walking the dogs rather than do a big one-off pick, but it is addictive, and I do use them all year

I'm also getting a tad sick of courgettes, still picking 2 or 3 each day and I've got a huge pile of them. I might have to try and cram a few more into the freezer, maybe break my own rules and use a plastic bag rather than an old ice cream tub or food saver so it'll squash (if you'll pardon the pun :p) into a smaller space - guess I could wash and re-use a bread bag so I'm not using new singe-use plastic
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have a few left over blackberries in the freezer from last year I will add them to a couple of wrinkly apples and make a couple of turnovers today to take to my DDs for the DGS, they scoff almost anything edible :) and I am doing my best to empty my freezer.

The boys are brilliant at helping me collect them, and my DD has a large second freezer which will hold this years crop until my freezer has been defrosted, hopefully by the end of September.

I love foraging for them and one of my DGS is just under 6ft and is great at getting those hard to reach ones which I hook the branches down with my walking stick We have a great system they collect, and I cook :)

I also like them whipped into some plain vanilla ice cream and swirled around :) I do that with slightly softer strawberries as well. A nice taste of summer in January when the weather is cold and grey

On the last day of our holiday when we are coming home from the IoW we collect them first thing before catching the ferry and they get washed and frozen when we get home Where we stay there are some beauties at the bottom of the garden by the field, which no one seems to bother about.
    We always bring a big empty tub home with us, a better reminder than a stick of rock and a darned sight less expensive :)

JackieO :)
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Haha I know what you mean JackieO. I always take my partner when we go blackberry picking as he is 6ft 5. Also very useful for grocery shopping to reach stuff on the top shelf lol.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why do they put stuff so high up on shelves in supermarkets I nearly always have to hunt for a tallish chap and 'borrow ' him I am 5'4" and it drives me nuts .it was OK when my late OH was around as he was 6'2" ,now I have to hunt around for a tallish chap :) My DDs said Oh Mum, any excuse to pick a chap up in the shops :) as if :):):)

I am going to make a victoria sponge today as I have a good few eggs i want to use up before my holiday so my DGS will get the benefit of free cake next week when I am looking after them :)Probably make some melting moment or choc chip cookies as well.I shall be getting lots of cuppas made for me over the next few days :) Roll on next Friday and we will be off to our beloved IoW for a fortnight

have a good and frugal weekend chums

JackieO xx
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Why do they put stuff so high up on shelves in supermarkets I nearly always have to hunt for a tallish chap and 'borrow ' him I am 5'4" and it drives me nuts .it was OK when my late OH was around as he was 6'2" ,now I have to hunt around for a tallish chap :) My DDs said Oh Mum, any excuse to pick a chap up in the shops :) as if :):):)

I am going to make a victoria sponge today as I have a good few eggs i want to use up before my holiday so my DGS will get the benefit of free cake next week when I am looking after them :)Probably make some melting moment or choc chip cookies as well.I shall be getting lots of cuppas made for me over the next few days :) Roll on next Friday and we will be off to our beloved IoW for a fortnight

have a good and frugal weekend chums

JackieO xx

Oh I love melting moments. I always used to make them with my granny when I went round hers for the day. And cheese straws lol. Those were the days. I haven't had them for years!
    Do you have a recipe I could pinch please JackieO?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning all

Melting Moments

5ozs butter or soft stork marg

3ozs caster sugar

2 tea spoons vanilla essence, OR one tea spoon of vanilla extract

5 ozs self-raising flour

desiccated coconut or some oats

a few glace cherries, quartered to decorate

cream the butter /marg and sugar together until light and fluffy

beat in the vanilla essence/extract

stir in the flour

roll into walnut sized pieces of the mixture and toss in either the
    coconut or oats

place on greased baking trays and flatten slightly with a knife,
    leaving room for each biscuit to 'spread slightly'

decorate with a quarter or sliver of glace cherry in the middle

Bake for 12-15 minutes in the oven until just golden, keep an eye on them as they 'catch' quickly and you don't want dark brown biscuits.

oven heat 180c or 350f gas mark 4 should fill two baking trays around 24 or so biscuits

I like them done to around 12 minutes and they should be slightly 'bendy when they come out let them cool for a minute or two and with a palette knife put them on a wire cooling tray They will crispenup as they cool.I store in a lock'n'lock box but they don't last very long with my DGS around

They are very 'moreish ' :) Sometimes I will add a bit of cinnamon to them as I like spicy biscuits or some ground ginger if I am making them for myself indoors But my grandsons will devour a plate of these without any problem Very quick and easy to make and my DGC have all over the years 'helped' me make them

I have been making these for well over 60 years, and if I had a quid for each one made I would be a very rich old woman :) cost very little but are so much nicer than shop bought biscuits .

A good afternoon treat to make when its raining and the kids can't go out to play

No shopping at all to buy this week as I am out tomorrow night and Thursday night to dinner so only two dinner to cook as I am off on my holidays on Friday
    My DGS and I will take a big box of these with us on Friday morning but they will probably last just over the weekend.

The only fresh fruit I have left in the fridge is one apple and a melon. :) a few new potatoes which I will use up probably tonight and the remains of a white cabbage which will also be used tonight steamed with some chicken from the freezer Wednesday nights dinner will be a chilli from the freezer with some rice Nothing binned at all :):)

Have a good and frugal week chums

JackieO xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport