Should I use money-off vouchers that aren't mine?

Options
Last week at the supermarket self-service till, the customer before me had forgotten to take their money-off receipt. I took it to use on my next shop as it was worth £4 and it was only going to waste. However, my boyfriend thinks it's stealing and I shouldn't have used it. Who's right?

Comments

• iscamaid
    iscamaid Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tell your boyfriend to get a life. Had it been £4 in cash then that would be different, they left a voucher, then its fair game. I would have picked it up like a shot.
  • rachiibell
    rachiibell Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Technically it might be stealing I'm not sure. But in your shoes I would certainly pick it up and use it!

And if it was my voucher I'd left behind I'd hope that someone else got some use out of it at least :)
  • gwdhld
    gwdhld Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I do it all the time. I am a bit of an embarrassment when we go shopping because i often pick things like that up. Mind you i don't always use them, i sometimes just put them on the item that it is for and hope that someone else uses it.
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If they've left their receipt, then you're not depriving (this is the legal definition of theft) them (and how do you identify 'them' to return it?) of any potential discount.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Doubt the store would be really fussed if they got someone in for a bit of extra shopping in order to use that voucher (and spend more besides) than no one. Profit is profit
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• curlycat_2
    Options
    Are you sure it's not linked to a loyalty card ? Some are
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    What goes around comes around.

Maybe next time you will neglect to collect your £10 note from the machine.

Then you will be on some forum or other bemoaning the dishonesty of others.
  • Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What a boring made-up dilemma.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • polarization
    Options
    Those are usually the threshold spend vouchers. Unless you take the voucher redeemed from someone's loyalty points, it should not be stealing as the machine may give you the same voucher by chance. I always leave the voucher I have no use at the self checkout hoping it may be of use by others.

The supermarkets do enough to rip everyone off!! :-)
  • Robin_Davies
    Options
    If you don't pick it up, someone else will. But if you want to be really virtuous, hand it in at your local Police Station in case the 'owner' comes to claim it. (Try and keep a straight face.) You can come back for it in a month. It will still be there. Many people just don't care about these coupons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure