TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    1005922 wrote: »
    You can use any email address you like but if you don't have a TV licence then you'd be breaking the law by watching anything on iplayer

As an aside, if you can use any email address (one not verified with an email etc), then that's an odd way to authorise yourself on iPlayer - wonder why they left this so woolly?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I had a reminder from the BBC ("TV Licensing") on 17 July to say "Your TV Licence expires on 31 July 2019" "Remember to renew by 31 July 2019"

Does my TV License really expire on 31 July? If so, then at what time? Do I need to renew my TV license on Tuesday 30th if I want to watch live TV or iPlayer on 31st July? Or is the BBC lying to me?

My understanding was that my license expires when the month ends.

Not planning on buying another license, but I was expecting to be able to watch Sky News tomorrow night for the last time.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would have thought that the Licence expires at 23:59:59 on the final day of the month in which it finishes.
  • bobfredbob
    bobfredbob Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On an old Sky dish (15+ years old) will it "lock up" if nothing is connected to it for a year or two?

So, my understanding is that there's some type of switch on the dish that is given power by the Freesat box and it flicks horizontal/vertical. I guess that every day it does an EPG scan so gets some use, even though I don't tend to use the box for actually watching anything. But, if I cancelled the licence and disconnected it, I'm wondering if it may stick and then cost me more money to fix next year in time for watching the Olympics.

Also, on AppleTV 4K, I can uninstall the pre-installed iPlayer app (that I've never used), but its recommendations still appear in the TV app. I'm guessing that's unavoidable?

Thanks.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    bobfredbob wrote: »
    On an old Sky dish (15+ years old) will it "lock up" if nothing is connected to it for a year or two?
    Any electronics will tend to degrade over time without regular use. However, satellite dishes are designed to stay outside for years (as you've already found out).
    So, my understanding is that there's some type of switch on the dish that is given power by the Freesat box and it flicks horizontal/vertical. I guess that every day it does an EPG scan so gets some use, even though I don't tend to use the box for actually watching anything. But, if I cancelled the licence and disconnected it, I'm wondering if it may stick and then cost me more money to fix next year in time for watching the Olympics.
    Yes, there is a control signal that switches the polarisation of the dish, however it is electronically very simple and I've never heard of it "locking" after being unused for a period of time.
    Also, on AppleTV 4K, I can uninstall the pre-installed iPlayer app (that I've never used), but its recommendations still appear in the TV app. I'm guessing that's unavoidable?
    Same with Now TV box.
  • Britannia12345
    Options
    Does anyone know how long it takes tvl to send a refund? I cancelled my licence at the end of june and the lady on the phone said i should have a couple of months refund to come back but no sign of a refund yet ��
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Does anyone know how long it takes tvl to send a refund? I cancelled my licence at the end of june and the lady on the phone said i should have a couple of months refund to come back but no sign of a refund yet ��

They are usually pretty quick - might be worth chasing it up.
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Got my latest letter from TVL.

"Officers have now been authorised to visit XX XX"

Not by me they haven't so they will not be visiting my home without a warrant.

I notice in the official MSE article these people are referred to as "enquiry officers". Nothing so mundane in the letter, they are called "Enforcement Officers" (their capitals).

So people have been "authorised" to "enforce" something at my address?

I look forward to closing the door on them.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Watchkeeper
    Watchkeeper Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 August 2019 at 4:48PM
    Options
    The only sanction the BBC has under the legislation is to persuade a magistrate to issue a search warrant (Communications Act 2003 s 366). Everything else - the letters, 'phone calls, "TV Licensing", "interview under caution", "just come in to check", and in particular "officers" of any persuasion - are not mandated in law and are inventions of the BBC.

It just shows how devious that organisation is in perpetuating the myth of "TV Licensing" as part of law enforcement. It isn't.

If enough people realised what a con trick "TV Licensing" really is, the whole system would be unenforceable.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 22 August 2019 at 7:53PM
    Options
    I think it's quite tricky for reputable consumer outlets like MSE to hit the right line with this - the BBC puts them in an invidious position.

There is plenty of misleading BBC lore and jargon that heavily suggests legal powers over the main enforcement activities where there are none, and I don't think any mainstream organisation wants to be seen to be undermining law enforcement activities unless there is a very compelling reason.

At the same time, there are some basic, and unanswered questions about TV Licensing that any investigative journalist really should be asking themselves, and then asking the BBC:-

- How is the process supposed to work to catch evaders?
    - How is the process supposed to work to "check" households that are not evading?
    - Is it true that there are no legal powers covering the main enforcement activity and, if not, what statutory power is there and where in legislation is it?
    - If householders refuse to co-operate with TV Licensing, is it true that TVL are largely powerless?
    - Why won't TV Licensing disclose the tiny number of TVL warrants that are issued each year?
    - Is it right that TV Licensing has a tendency to be economical with the truth, and is that lawful where the matters concerned are within the scope of the Human Rights Act (like privacy in one's own home)?

I should say that we know that there are issues in some of these areas because TVL and the BBC make contradictory statements on them within their own communications.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback