PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slower Cookers Are They Good???

Options
I didn't know weather to add this ti the "What did you have for your tea tonight" post so.

I was going to buy a slow cooker, are they worth it,whats the best brand,and do you really like them,does the food taste good in them. ::)

And last of all please advise on recipe link or recipes for slow cooker. :P ;)

Thank You all very muchly, and hope they are good cos I've wanted one for sometime but kept forgetting, but theres alot of you that I noticed use them, last spotted Sheel talking about doing chilli in hers ;D

Comments

• sparky61
    sparky61 Posts: 10,422 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got one as a wedding present 20 years ago. It sat in the box for 4 years and then I donated it to my daughters nursery fete. So I couldn't tell you if they're any good.
    Just recently been tempted to get one though. Saw someone using one on The Bank of Mum and Dad on tele last night.
    :D
  • Pat__3
    Pat__3 Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Sparky, I too got one for a wedding present about 30 yrs ago but never used it, when we got divorced it was still in the box and I left it for him ;)
    Wasn't motivated then to use it, but would like to have ago now. :D
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    DW is a very slow cooker and the results are pretty lousy - she can even burn a salad.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pat, theres a thread on them on the old style board, with lots of recipes. personally i use mine a lot, and you'd be amazed what you can do in it.

hth

160/.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Pat

The first slow cooker I had didn't have a separate (lift out) bowl so it was a !!!!!! to clean. Make sure the one you buy has a separate bowl that can be immersed in hot soapy water.

I'm about as good at cooking as I am at understanding all things IT, rubbish in other words so I couldn't help you with recipes.

My efforts are simple like buying chicken pieces, taking a packet sauce mix, mixing with boiling water, pouring sauce over the chicken pieces............then going out for the day fishing and returning hours later to a ready meal ;D.

If you want a very cheap way to cook meat that is so tender it falls apart.........a slow cooker is for you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slo-cookers are great in as much as they are much cheaper than running your oven/hotplate on a low-lite.
    If you like braising/casseroles & soups you will find one really useful. If you don't like/eat this comfort/winter food then don't buy one cos they only really cook this kind of 'sloppy meal'.

Technically a slo-cooker doen't have a removable dish (just like a deep fat fryer) A crock-pot does have a dish you can take out. Nowadays they all have removable crocks and are sold under both names.

Almost all (regardless of price) have 2 heat settings and a keep warm. They are not very high-tech and little goes wrong with them (unless you drop the crock) so I would go for a cheap budget name like Swan of JMB if you want to buy on the cheap or pick a posh looking chrome one if you want to leave it out and show off a bit.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Pat__3
    Pat__3 Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Options
    DW is a very slow cooker and the results are pretty lousy - she can even burn a salad.

Ivan

LOL @ Ivan, poor you. ;D

Thank You everyone for your response, any more ideas anyone. ::)
  • bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ours was £19.99 from Argos a couple of years ago, it's very good and has separate pot so easy to keep clean.

It makes great food, very easy to use but must admit dont use it as often as I should.

Saying that plan to make Delia's shin of beef stew in it tomorrow!!!!!

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    loads of recipes HERE Pat
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Crikey this thread moved quicker than pickfords ;D ;D
    wouldn't it be better in old style with the recipes :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income