PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :D

I was missing in action last month...I still kept to my budget -but had little to say (not that it normally stops me I know):rotfl:
    Promise to post more this month..

Anyway I did my first shop yesterday (€27) -we started doing slimming world a couple of weeks ago ...so the spends have gone up but only a little -and it will get cheaper again once summer kicks in and the fruit n veg prices drop ;)

I have just made a beef rogan josh from a SW cook book -its for tea tomorrow, but I like to let things like that stand overnight and develope... I will report back if its a hit and worth sharing :p (it tastes nice at the mo)

I made Mexican chilli chicken(sw) with special fried rice(my own recipe) the other day which was a hit :T-I have got some of the SW cook books and Im quite enjoying working to a recipe -Im usually more of a "make it up as I go along" kinda gal :rotfl:

The freezers are packed to the hilt -so mainly this month should be fruit, veg, milk - famous last words :D

Hope everyone is well -have a good month all!!!
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hello I'd like to join for May please. I'll aim for £150 although I really need to get it lower than this. OH has just been made redundant (again!) so we're living off our wedding savings (goodbye wedding plans :cry:)

Off to read all the Weezl threads for ideas.

Oh, Pablosmummy, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I can empathise - DH was made redundant twice last year in a 7 month period, and the £64.30 JSA we got per week did not go very far for our family of 6!! Huge (((hugs))) for you. Can you hold on to the wedding plans and revise them down? - there must be loads of ideas for weddings on a small budget on here. The important bit is the getting married - not a huge party, fancy clothes, exotic honeymoon, etc...
    summerlou wrote: »
    never done a grocery challange but need to cut done big time never actually counted what we spend but it must be at least 600 a month for the four of us and two cats so am going to try and stay under 300 this month so please could i join thank you.

Welcome & Good Luck with the challenge! That's a huge leap down to be attempting in one go - have you thought about going down in smaller steps - less of a shock to the system and means that you are less likely to crash and burn and become disillusioned.
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    The branch of MrT I used yesterday, has put its purple 3L milk up to £1:25 :mad: I'm not sure what price it is in my usual branch, as I've noticed before that they can charge different prices although less than 10 miles apart & being of similar size :angry: Would expect it from an express or summat..

Booger! I've got into buying this for my many cups of tea (was previously using red Cravendale) :( I noticed that the Sainsburys orange milk was more expensive at the weekend than when I last bought it - although I can't remember if I bought it on an offer......
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • THE4WHINGERS
    Options
    hi
    can i be put down for £380 may plz have to cut dwn from last mnth as oh still got no overtime since xmas and that is our " spare after all bills paid money " so finances not looking good this month:(still looks too much aim to get lots lower over nxt few months:) thankyou in advance:T
    nothing thats meant for you passes you by ..;)
  • lizbob
    lizbob Posts: 128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    70 odd quid already spent, must try much harder!!!
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

Im going to try and do this for May as I got paid today and want to keep track. We go away on honeymoon on Monday so ive got a separate budget for that and the amount im allowing us to spend is for the remaining amount of time. Fingers crossed!

So this month im going for £60
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Could you put me down for £180 for this month please? it's a 4 week and I'm going for £45 a week - fingers crossed.

Thank you!
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, could I join again please? I did the challenge about a year or so ago and did quite well, but then just went awol :o.

Could you put me down for £250 for the month please? There's 5 of us and cook from scratch 95% of the time (the other 5% is takeaways or special meals out)

We have our anniversary coming up and are going out for a meal but I'm not including that in the challenge as we only spend £1 for each year we've been married and as this is our 3rd anniversary that's a £3 present to buy :) (tranditionally it's leather for the 3rd :eek:)

Good luck everyone :T
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £79.56 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • S_Wales_Saver
    Options
    BigMumma and Green. It seems like milk is going up all over :(. I**land's 2l went up to £1.10 last week. I did try the MrT one but OH had to drink it, 0.75% is too creamy for me lol. Also too far to go to buy milk so looking to see if anyone has a better deal. Everything just keeps creeping up :eek:

Summerlou - I second Greent - halving your spends in one month is really going cold turkey. If you decide to go with it, I shall watch with interest (and admiration lol)
    Dor
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Posted on the April thread, but will put it here too in case it's missed.

Declaring £64.45. Quite happy as although I put my total up by £10, I think I spent less than I usually do.

I am going to go for £60.00 for May please. I have a full freezer and lots in the cupboards, so will make a list over the weekend and see what I can create from it.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ooh new thread :j
    please could you put me down for £300 for may thankyou
    its £130 less a month than before but we have had some unexpected bills and need to cut down

i have done my menu plan for this week using the recipes from this thread - I find it hard sometimes finding inspiration for meals and they have really helped :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure