Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad

Options

Comments

• jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    im off to cairo in january to see the pyramids any tips on calling home on a mobile???:confused:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-roaming-calls
  • bringmeshoes
    bringmeshoes Posts: 2,792 Forumite
    Options
    i work for o2 and know that we no longer 'lock' phones to our network but it is worth me mentioning that if you do use another sim card in your phone and your handset is damaged or lost this will invalidate any insurance you may have as you have to use the registed o2 sim in your handset. ( i dont know if this is the same for other networks)
    The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about - Oscar Wilde:beer:
    Big sister to Hayley11 and Before Hollywood and adopted daughter of Vikingero
  • DoraExplorer_2
    Options
    Hello money savers.....

I would really appreciate your help on this subject....

I am a stewardess and fly mainly around Europe. I'm away up to four nights a week so really need to use my mobile to stay in touch....I am up for renewal of my contract and looking for the best deal.

At the moment i'm on Vodaphone and find this to be really pricey. between £90-£120 per month...... I too had the problem when they changed me from passport without advising.... However ironically my bill seemed to be cheaper?!

I have analysed my phone bills and found that a large bulk of the additional cost to my tarrif each month is the texts sent from abroad....What is the best option for texting abroad? I think i have heard about o2 offering a service where abroad 2 texts are taken from your bundle for every one sent... is this correct? I contacted them about offers they had for users such as myself but they weren't that helpful.. is this offer a mobile myth?

The other thing i had considered was a phone such as an Iphone or blackberry where i can get a package with internet and send texts and make calls from Skype as lots of our hotels offer free in room wireless....I could get an iphone in the states with work and have it unlocked right?

I'd also considered buying a cheap laptop as i think if i get a good deal on that it would offer savings in the long run? And just use the phone less!?

What to do? Any help greatly appreciated....

I am a techno phobe and a blonde so try to keep answers simple!.....
  • bringmeshoes
    bringmeshoes Posts: 2,792 Forumite
    Options
    o2's text charges can come out of your bundle, each text from abroad takes 4 from your bundle. you do not need to request this it is just part of the tariff and is available on all tariffs, if you use all of the texts from the tariff then it is 25p per text from abroad
    The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about - Oscar Wilde:beer:
    Big sister to Hayley11 and Before Hollywood and adopted daughter of Vikingero
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello money savers.....

I would really appreciate your help on this subject....

I am a stewardess and fly mainly around Europe. I'm away up to four nights a week so really need to use my mobile to stay in touch....I am up for renewal of my contract and looking for the best deal.

At the moment i'm on Vodaphone and find this to be really pricey. between £90-£120 per month...... I too had the problem when they changed me from passport without advising.... However ironically my bill seemed to be cheaper?!
    Now that the new cheaper-roaming Eurotariff has arrived, there won't be as much difference between networks, though some have other options. So the baseline is about 18p/min incoming calls, 38p outgoing, though it's possible to get cheaper.

Although Vodafone Passport would be good for longer calls, the 75p per call connect fees add up rather faster for short calls of a couple of minutes, and perhaps that's why you've noticed a difference if they switched you to the Eurotariff

3 has lower rates than others, 10p/min incoming, 25p outgoing, and in countries with a 3 network (and with your phone logged in to it), incoming calls are free while outgoing calls use your contract's included minutes. Also they allow free Skype calls when on a 3 network. The drawback is that they only have networks in Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, a small part of Austria, Hong Kong and Australia

But because you mention texts, O2's 4 for 1 inclusive arrangement, mentioned in the last post, looks good for you. They have another interesting option with free incoming and cheaper (25p/min) outgoing calls, called My Europe Extra and costing £10 a month, which might be worthwhile.

To get a bit more complicated, if you look into so-called callback services, which set up an incoming call to connect you to an outgoing one, then you could use the free incoming to make outgoing calls from quite a bit cheaper than O2's rate. The call might be triggered by sending an sms, or calling a number and hanging up, or sending a small amount of data, then wait for the incoming call.

There are also what are called global roaming SIM cards, with free incoming calls in many but not all countries. These are mentioned in Martin's roaming article and also in this thread. They have phone numbers from Estonia, Iceland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Liechtenstein, and other places. Since the main European networks introduced cheaper roaming though, perhaps they are not quite as attractive as before, as there is still the cost to your friends to call you on a different number than normal.

Some phones, such as the Nokia E-series and their N95, do indeed have a facility for wi-fi access, and you could use any of a range of voice over internet (VoIP) providers. This usage wouldn't be a package bought from the mobile network, but independent of it, so would only cost at the call rates of the separate VoIP firm. You can read more about VoIP on the Home Phones board; the cheapest have virtually free calls to landlines of about 40 countries and calls to mobiles starting from under 10p a minute.

Whichever network you choose, there are possibilities to send cheap sms equivalents using a Java program in the phone that sends via data use for from only a couple of cents each, plus about the same charge by the network for the data. Some are smsbug, mobisms, voipbuster and vyke.

But maybe I'm gradually complicating things with too many details. I think that an O2 contract with a good helping of texts, and perhaps the My Europe Extra, is likely to be a good choice.

A couple of extra points though: you said mainly short-haul but also mentioned the USA; if you go there quite a bit then there is no cheap roaming at all, and the only way to make cheap calls is to get a local SIM card, and then use perhaps a calling card to reach UK, or some SIMs have cheap int'l calls. And in Europe if you're willing to have local SIMs without losing track of them all, then there are some with very cheap int'l calls, like from about 5 or 10 cents a minute to UK landlines.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    If you are thinking about a laptop you should have a look at the Asus EEE and its coming out in pink in February :)

http://www.nexus13.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=352&idproduct=1187
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are thinking about a laptop you should have a look at the Asus EEE and its coming out in pink in February :)

hee hee, I realised I'd intended to suggest that, then forgotten by the time I'd waffled so long

come back to edit it in, and too late

about the size of a hardback book, a third the weight of other laptops, looks great for travelling - I'm tempting myself too .......... but perhaps not pink
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    hee hee, I realised I'd intended to suggest that, then forgotten by the time I'd waffled so long

come back to edit it in, and too late

about the size of a hardback book, a third the weight of other laptops, looks great for travelling - I'm tempting myself too .......... but perhaps not pink

i have one of these.

it is cheap and perfect for travelling.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • MYLITTLESISTERLOLA
    Options
    I'm going to Jamaica in 8 weeks and I'm trying to find a cheap tariff for calling from mobile in Jamaica to UK and cheap for peopple to call me. Getting married & want to keep everyone informed of the news.
    I've tried reading all the articles but I'm baffled by science
    My phone in triband & unlocked so that shouldn't be a problem
    Please Help
    Busy mum of 3, so if my posts don't make sense or ask a silly question be patient:rotfl:
  • bagsy137
    Options
    Hi all. We are leaving for Florida in a couple of weeks and are travelling in a family group of 17. I would like to know the best option for us to stay in touch with each other via two mobiles. They will be used exclusively in the US, only phoning/texting the other mobile and viceversa. We have unlocked handsets to take with us.

REDEX - Please help and advise for cheapest option. Thanks

ps. amazing website guys & great contributions from all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback