Desktop Alternative to FirstDirect "Internet Banking Plus"

Options

Comments

• mrmajika
    Options
    I echo most of your sentiments Marigold123.

I have been using the YOLT app which is very good, and a little better than MoneyDashboard (IMO) at seeing all your balances in one place. That uses a combination of open banking, where available, and screen scraping where it's not.

There's also an app called Emma, but it seems to be early days for it.

Whilst open banking is a good concept in principle, it seems to be distinctly read only, meaning that direct logins to all the accounts, to start moving money around isn't possible.

I'd read on MSE somewhere recently that the screen scraping option as used in FDs internet banking plus is to stop in September 2019, so who knows what the future will bring with it.

I'm still plodding along with FD IB Plus, but it's getting harder and slower to use. It seems crazy that the functionality was better using it 10 years ago than it is now.
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right! :D
  • Marigold123
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    A bit of a moot point but eWise are the technology provider for FD IP, not the other way round. The native eWise provides many more accounts than FD have chosen to implement. eWise has obviously similar shortfalls as FD IP has but at least you can get them to fix things a little faster. It's all become rather tedious now.

Yeah, I realise eWise are the creators, not First Direct. FD have had me go to eWise's support page to do some troubleshooting a few times, without much success. Egg actually had the identical program too, at one point, but the skin was pretty ugly and it died a death along with Egg, or possibly even before.

I searched for eWise earlier and they seem to have evolved into a smart US-based company who make very sexy-looking apps that do exactly what we need, but sadly they don't appear to be available to us plebs, as they market their software directly to other companies only. Not sure who these other companies might be, but none of them can be in the UK, that's for sure. I was slightly puzzled, as I know eWise were originally based in Australia, but I can't see there being two companies with the same name selling the same(ish) niche product.

Anyway, I've just spent half a day adding accounts to Money Dashboard, which has gone very slowly, and some organisations just won't connect at all. It also turns out that they have even fewer organisations for me to add than First Direct. I think I might take up your suggestion and look at eWise again via the Accountunity link, and not do any more googling, as if I see any more pictures of those perfect-looking apps it will only make me cry!
    I'd read on MSE somewhere recently that the screen scraping option as used in FDs internet banking plus is to stop in September 2019, so who knows what the future will bring with it.

I hadn't heard about that. First Direct keep telling me they have no plans to stop supporting Internet Banking Plus, so I'm guessing that if that's the case, they simply haven't told their staff yet. I'll be a very unhappy bunny if that happens.

Not heard of Emma, but will see what I can find on it. *ever hopeful*
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Not heard of Emma, but will see what I can find on it. *ever hopeful*
    Sorry to dash your hopes. Emma can't touch accountunity/FDIP either. None of the apps can. I tried most of them. They're all obsessed with categorising transactions and selling insurance and energy deals to people who have a handful of accounts. They're not geared towards people who have dozens of accounts, incl investment ones, and who are looking for simplicity. I wouldn't mind the categorisation business, in fact, I quite like it, and I could ignore the insurance and other sales efforts but I *do* want something that lets me log into all my accounts, and that presents a simple, condensed, list of all my balances, grouped by company.

I half suspect there is some truth to the rumour that screen-scraping is no longer legally allowed in the EU/UK from sometime later this year, and that this is the reason why ewise have not done anything to keep accountunity up-to-date. I'd be deliriously happy if this wasn't the case and if they made their more modern technology available to the UK market, too.
  • ScoobyZ
    ScoobyZ Posts: 487 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use Internet Banking Plus and it has become buggy. Hopefully something better will come out. I would happily pay for a decent version.

However with all the interest rates dropping I'm going to look to simplify things so won't have so many accounts.
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear, just had a play with Accountunity/eWise, and I'm sorry to say I don't like it at all. There's no separation between the different kinds of accounts, so a credit card and a current account with the same bank are grouped together. It works as a portal, and returns your balances, but that's about it. I thought I wasn't fussed about a lack of bells and whistles, but this is too bare bones for my needs. It doesn't seem any faster, and I didn't find any more of the organisations that I want, even though it does seem to have more, just not the ones I'm missing. I had only ever put one account at a time on there for troubleshooting, so I guess I didn't notice the lack of features. Oh well, back to the drawing board! :-)

I think once I can get all my accounts loaded into Money Dashboard it will be OK, though I'll try Yolt too, and see which works best for me. I don't mind running two systems alongside each other, (ie. an app for updating balances, and IB Plus as a portal if I need to go somewhere). Anything that means it doesn't take me forever to get my balances!

If it helps anyone, it looks as if the Money Dashboard app has more organisations available than on its web version. I was able to add organisations in the app that weren't available using my laptop, and have them show up in my accounts on the web page afterwards. The app seems to be faster once everything is set up, but it was easier for me to add details with a proper keyboard, and the ability to quickly copy and paste.
  • mrmajika
    mrmajika Posts: 986 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think once I can get all my accounts loaded into Money Dashboard it will be OK, though I'll try Yolt too, and see which works best for me. I don't mind running two systems alongside each other, (ie. an app for updating balances, and IB Plus as a portal if I need to go somewhere). Anything that means it doesn't take me forever to get my balances!

I like that MD has a desktop and app interface, but i've always found it a bit slow at updating certain accounts automatically. I could never find away to do a mass refresh, so you had to click refresh on each individual account, which then didn't allow you to do anything else in the app until it'd refreshed.

Yolt has a refresh on startup option which auto updates all balances and a quick pull down of the app screen to refresh too. It's tagging categorisations aren't as comprehensive as those in MD, and, sadly, there's no desktop option.

:beer::beer:
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right! :D
  • colsten
    Options

I think once I can get all my accounts loaded into Money Dashboard it will be OK, though I'll try Yolt too, and see which works best for me. I don't mind running two systems alongside each other, (ie. an app for updating balances, and IB Plus as a portal if I need to go somewhere). Anything that means it doesn't take me forever to get my balances! ls with a proper keyboard, and the ability to quickly copy and paste.
    I use the banks' apps on my iPhone/iPad as portal, and AceMoney as my Personal Finance Manager alongside it. All the apps support FaceID/TouchID, so it's just a matter of a one-time set-up , and a very quick login from thereon in. It's not perfect, as many of the Building Societies /investment platforms don't have apps, and the apps often don't offer all the functions you get in internet banking. Having said this, none of the aggregators, and those posing as aggregators, do support all the Building Societies and investment platforms, so it will be a very, very long time before we can even dream of having a single portal to all our accounts.

Be careful with Yolt. They lost all of my account data in a recent app upgrade, and they are only 'supported' (haha) on phones, not on tablets (even though you can install and set up the app on tablets). They suggested I "just re-enter" my accounts. I declined, as I wasn't too happy with their app, and with their attitude towards improvement suggestions. Having said this, I found Yolt a whole lot better than Money Dashboard. Though it's a while since I last looked at them. I think I'll have another look at BankTree now, as they are now offering a trial version. Looks VERY expensive though.
  • colsten
    Options
    No, I won't trial BankTree again. They can't even give us a list of supported banks in alphabetical order, and they barely cover the main banks. No Building Societies apart from Nationwide, and no investment platforms. They also refer to Nationwide as a Bank.......

http://www.banktree.co.uk/online-banking-providers.html
  • nightvision
    Options
    This is an old thread, I can see, but would be grateful if anyone has any more input on this. Like the original post, I echo the same views - the software is free and we get as much as we can. However, it has been over 10 months and Hargreaves Lansdowne and Tesco ClubCard Credit Card logins don't work. I am tired of calling them every 2 months to be given a very enthusiastic - Did you try removing all accounts and putting them back in again? I know this won't work and so do they, it is a bit shameful for them to be giving that advise and fooling people, because it obviously wastes a lot of time of a customer who thinks it is going to work and then finds it is the same situation.
    I sometimes hear that they have to send requests to all these organisations and when these organisations will update some code or whatever it is is their own choice. I kind of am not sure about the technicalities of all this but wonder how can an organisation not respond to a request from FD for over 10 months.
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nightvision, I am pretty sure it is going to die, and probably quite soon. I have been using it since it first came out, and the list of organisations not working is getting longer and longer, and the time taken to fix them is increasing all the time. It's partly because organisations update their websites more frequently, but also because there is simply nothing in it for anyone to keep maintaining the program, past keeping the very few old customers using it moderately happy. From what I can tell there are just a couple of hundred people in the country who use IBP. It's never been a very high number, but I think more and more people are ditching it in favour of apps. Probably because they work, (for most people's needs), and it only barely does now.

The company who originally created it have moved on to much more profitable things, and only seem to be maintaining it as a legacy program now. The only browser it will work in, IE, is also a legacy program, no longer supported by Microsoft, and becomes more unusable with every passing month.

There is also the spectre of this new legislation looming, which many interpret as ending the legality of screen scraping, which is the process used by IBP to obtain balances. I have seen emails from at least one organisation saying the only third party access they will now allow to their accounts is via Open Banking, which doesn't allow functional access to the account itself, only sight of the balance and transactions. I have tried multiple times to ask FD's technical team whether the legislation will end IBP, but still cannot get anything out of them about it. The only reply they will give is that they have been given no information about it, and that customers will be informed if there are any changes.

All FD seem interested in at the moment is what sounds to be a radical updating of their website, and their new, ghastly and irritating hold 'music' of birds singing, traffic noise and ice cream vans, which I have to hold away from my ear if I'm contacting them by phone. I've always had great respect for First Direct, but their obsession with trying to appear 'different' just for the sake of it has been a bit of a negative in the last few years, as far as I am concerned.

I am currently using a combination of IBP and Money Dashboard, which seems to be improving, and updates many organisations automatically in the background, (although, it appears, on a completely random basis, and some occasionally won't update manually at all, so I wouldn't want to rely on it alone). I have a current total of 6 organisations which are 'broken' on IBP, (including FD itself!) and one which is effectively useless due to the login process used. This same organisation is also currently broken on MDB.

If nothing else, I will continue to use IBP as a login portal, as there's no other tool that will do this. If it dies completely I will just have to make myself a dedicated favourites folder and use that instead, with MDB for my balances and balance sheet function, plus apps for fast and nasty access when I don't need any higher functions.

I am still toying with the idea of using the HSBC app and adding other organisations, as someone here mentioned, but I find it fiddly and hate using it, so it's unlikely to become my go-to daily banking app. I haven't tried the FD app yet, which I believe works in a similar way, but I hate all the extra authentication, and would just love IPB to do what it used to do so well, and just bl**dy work! Sadly, I think those days are gone. It's the only example I can think of in the last 20 years where the usefulness of technology has actually gone backwards, and we've lost something which nobody else is doing better.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure