Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Oct 19, 11:49 AM
    • 805Posts
    • 12,184Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 14th October?
    • 14th Oct 19, 11:49 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 14th October? 14th Oct 19 at 11:49 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
Page 1
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Oct 19, 11:58 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 12,184 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    • 14th Oct 19, 11:58 AM
    • 14th Oct 19, 11:58 AM
    I've looked and looked and don't think I've missed our new weekly thread anywhere!!
    So here goes

Todays list from me
    * Back to the gym, two classes and refill water bottle there - good for £16/month done
    * Check all unused sockets/chargers etc are off, no need to see the time display on the microwave or oven - small things done
    * Got an appointment at the dentist as its been painful for three weeks was able to park right outside for free and was seen as soon as I arrived which was great! Now I'm on a 5 day course of antibiotics and a telling off from the dentist for not going in sooner!
    * Wash two loads on the quick 30 degree wash doneand hang on radiators later - no heating going on until the kids get home at the earliest done
    * Run the dishwasher on the quick wash done and empty done
    * Pop to aldee with a list, need bread, milk and fruit for lunches mainly done
    * Check banking/update spreadsheet done
    * Check back on last years spreadsheet at interest as I've forgotten to put it on my tax return. done
    * Put in new router that our supplier has sent me as ours was showing as faulty-not looked at it yet I'm hoping its just a plug and play done
    * General Monday tidy round and wipe round using washable cloths and stardrops,
    * Rm survey done
    * Try to get dh booked in for his flu jab done
    ** made families lunches for tomorrow too, much cheaper then the daily meal deal dh used to think was a good deal

Right I better get on, take care all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 14-10-2019 at 6:12 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    • 5,835 Posts
    • 46,542 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 14th Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    Afternoon all

Thanks for starting the thread 1LL. Glad you are finally getting your tooth problem sorted out.
    Not sure where everyone is today?
    Babysitting this morning, so pitching my expectations of what I can get done accordingly! GS isn't very well, and just wants carrying about all the time. But I have:
    Had cooked HG fruit from freezer with breakfast

Cleared up kitchen, emptied dishwasher, put recycling out etc
    Quick tidy round, got rid of dead flowers etc
    Wrapped 2 ebay parcels and finalised finance survey thing I have been doing for the past 4 weeks. All ready to post when I get chance to go to the post office!
    Pulled and prepped some carrots from the garden before it started raining, for dinner later

Lady came to collect 3 slightly damaged cake stands via freecycle

Charity shop people came to collect a large bookcase I decided to get rid of
    Not really moneysaving, but I love decluttering, and it will help the charity
    Little bit of paperwork for my business
    Needless to say I did most of that before GS arrived.
    He is asleep atm, and so is his mum who is back from her chiropractor appointment. She was up most of last night with GS, so I sent both of them up to sleep in my bed. Will wake her a bit later in time to collect GD from school.
    Won't make it to the post office or my sales unit today, but will get stuff ready for tomorrow, when I will.
    Persuade OH to put some pictures up later, in my 'new' decluttered dining room
    Must clean dusty space where the book case was

Dinner will be made from things I already have in, no spending planned
    Wish it would stop raining!

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    • 5,448 Posts
    • 33,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 14th Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    Hi 1LL, Dawn & all who follow,
    I've done my mid-month budget check-in today & that is going to inform this week's frugal activity.
    So before next week, I want to:
    *Use as little electricity as possible, esp on heating (it doesn't feel cold yet) & laundry.
    *Maximise food stores, which will include doing a very economical meal plan & shopping list for next week.
    *Progress Christmas plans. I still haven't achieved my usual levels of organisation with this yet.
    *Really double down on Christmas gift knitting.
    *Continue garden clearing - good free fitness, but weather dependent.
    *Chase solicitor again if necessary (it will be)
    *Continue preparing house for winter.
    *Try to update my DFW diary most days.
    I've not listed all my little regular daily habits as I shall do them anyway, but this is the general shape of my week.
    Love to all,
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £227
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 14th Oct 19, 9:03 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ditty1234
    • 14th Oct 19, 9:03 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 9:03 PM
    Hi LL thanks for starting us up.
    NSD day here for me. A long fay though, am about to pack up and go to bed.
    LBM Jan 2019 -£25.928/-£24.510 5% paid off
    EF £0 March 2019 /EF £700 in August 2019/EF £150 October 2019
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 14th Oct 19, 10:06 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 13,718 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    • 14th Oct 19, 10:06 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 10:06 PM
    1LL thank you for starting this weeks thread
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th Oct 19, 8:13 AM
    • 5,835 Posts
    • 46,542 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:13 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:13 AM
    Morning all
    Running a bit late this morning. Currently drinking much needed coffee and contemplating the day ahead. Just read the news online and will be needing another one
    Anyway, today's plans:
    HG cooked fruit from freezer with breakfast Done

It is forecast to be dry, so I have washing ready to go out Done, it needs finishing off on the airer, so will have to sort that out in a minute
    Must restock my sales unit. So I must find and label some suitable items first. Done

And post some books sold on ebay. Done. Aargh, had to queue in the post office because I couldn't get the printer to work to print out my Drop and Go form. Wasted an hour trying to sort it out, to no avail. It appears to be a Windows 10 issue

Meals today will consist of fridge shrapnel Done, finished up hummus for lunch, and leftover mash and cabbage to make bubble and squeak for dinner, much to OH's delight
    I will make some scones Done

Think about storage for cleaning products in bathroom. Wonder if I have anything suitable already? I don't think so, but will investigate before I contemplate buying anything!. Well, I didn't have anything suitable, but popped into the charity shop and found a small and narrow but tallish cabinet thing which is what eb*y and Amaz*n were coming up with when I searched for bathroom storage. It isn't a thing of beauty, but is unobtrusive, easy to clean and fits out of the way in a corner by the wash basin. It was £5 as opposed to the online prices of around £25 for a flatpack. And the added bonus is that I don't have to assemble it!

Walked the dog in the sunshine with OH. Dog was a pain, and we had to keep making detours due to the floods, but it was nice to soak up a bit of afternoon sun Especially since there is more rain on the way.

Started the process of changing energy suppliers, using the MSE Energy Club. A bit ambivalent about this, as I am currently with Ovo, who have never messed up, but have got rather expensive lately I am on a fixed tariff, so will have to pay to get out of this, but this is nothing compared to the claimed saving. We will see!
    Last edited by DawnW; 15-10-2019 at 6:35 PM.

• twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 15th Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 7,230 Thanks
    twiggy86
    • 15th Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    Morning all!

Today I have/will:
    * Check banks
    * Wash load on 30 degree eco wash
    * Put milk back in fridge as OH had left out and gone to work!
    * Update spreadsheet
    * Cash out PA
    * Make CC over payment
    * Check OP/PA
    * Gym at lunch
    * Charge phone at work
    * Make meal plan
    * Make shopping list
    * SHOP TO LIST
    * Snap receipt
    * Dinner from stores
    * Do some more of my current crochet project

Think that's everything. Hope you all have a good day!
    Starting again.. LMB 31.7.19 Starting total: £13,418.33 Current total: £11,611.25
    One and half debts down, four more to go!
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 15th Oct 19, 12:42 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 12,184 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:42 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:42 PM
    Afternoon all,

I had been hoping that the antibiotics would have kicked in by now but not yet Still in pain and feeling very grumpy!

This afternoons list ...
    * cook two chickens together to make the most of the oven being on - will mesage my parents to let them know there will be some chicken for them to collect tomorrow.
    * make families lunches for tomorrow
    * radiator shuffle the dry washing away, ironing just what is needed
    * check banking /update spreadsheet
    * make sure I'm clear for when the boys come home as ds1 is having a difficult time with his friendship group and the last couple of days he's wanted to chat.
    * cut open the brown sauce bottle to get it completely emptied
    * de-stone, chop and freeze 4 punnets of ys plums bought at the weekend - will stew these with a bit of honey and ginger for our weekend desserts with a bit of yogurt over the next few weeks
    * check off credit card statement

Thats it for now. Take care all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 15-10-2019 at 3:14 PM.
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 15th Oct 19, 5:57 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Looking like an other NSD day today. Jubii. Am a bit stressed, so decided to bake a cake when I got home today. Yet have to make dinner though.
    And have cancelled all sport this week - not a great combo!
    Am getting land lord handy man to fix a broken window and a socket. Thats two things off my list!
    Am excited I did a planned weekly shop on Saturday, might plan an other big shop this Saturday and get 10 p off fuel at Tesc* - just to stock on some things and I need to till tank this weekend anyways.
    If I do that I will just do the scan as you shop and just make sure I get to £62 - just in case.
    Still to do:
    Book minimal service for car
    Rebook dogs vaccination
    See if I can get hair cut at college salon
    Get last Info I need for DS first UK passport
    Run laundry
    Actually cook dinner
    Start meal plan and shopping list for next week
    Including food to bring as will go see uni son next week, and want to bring, or sort out a nice non take out lunch.
    Have a great week.
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 15th Oct 19, 8:21 PM
    • 3,640 Posts
    • 35,856 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Hi Everyone

1LL - Thanks for starting us off today, hope the antibiotics kick in soon

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Had a busy few days but we have been keeping the DFW faith and doing lots of small things as well as resting:

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Gym
    Up to date on washing and ironing
    Up to date on RM surveys/correctly delivered
    Continued decluttering (lots more bits left the house via freegle and charity shop)
    Listed a few bits for sale (DS made £70 which he is thrilled with)
    Take up DS's old carpet & underlay and taken to tip (as opposed to paying carpet fitters to do it - apparently its what people do)
    Swagbucks
    Purged a few emails
    Entered a few comps
    Surveys
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner
    Finished Library Book, ordered and collected more

Night all!

C x
    Make £5 per day 2018 £1556.43/£1825.00 Make £5 per day Jan - Jun 19 £713.84/£905 Make £5 per day in July 19 £46.73/£110 Make £5 per day in Aug 19 £36.02/£155 Make £2 per day in Sept 19 £38.50/£60 Make £2 per day in Oct: £132.50/£62 Make £2 per day in Nov: £89.60/£60
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 15th Oct 19, 10:15 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 8,150 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Many thanks for starting us off 1LL. I hope the antibiotics are now beginning to kick in for u and u are feeling a bit brighter.

Been busy decluttering here. I have the decorator coming in next week so have been trying to get things sorted and rubbish out of the house. Feel stressed already!
    Need to buy more paint so will do it on the b+Q 3 4 2 offer
    Banking all checked-everything good.
    Have items to go on eBay, plan to do this on Thursday.

Have been making the most of the oven and cooking 2 days of meals in one go- only one slight problem, the cats attacked my cottage pie
    Heating is still off. We're still having some warm days here
    Shopping today.minimal list and a couple of YS items ready for when DD is home
    Still getting my cat food tins from h. Bargains, now the cheapest place for them

That's about it from me x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 16th Oct 19, 6:07 AM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 7,356 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Morning all, just a quick check-in as I need to be off to work soon (7am start - but I finish at 12 so not complaining!!)

Apart from work, today I will
    - continue with the 'Spring' Cleaning. I've done the downstairs and the stairs themselves, and bottomed out the bathroom yesterday (if you'll pardon the pun...) So today it's the turn of my bedroom, will make a start after lunch. A thing begun is half done - stripped the bed, pulled it out from the wall, hoovered and mopped underneath, turned the mattress, washed the nets, cleaned the windows. Still need to empty wardrobe and chest of drawers and have a good sort out (tomorrow).
    - a minimal amount of ironing Not done it yet. It'll probably wait and get done with any ironing from next week's wash now.
    - empty the bins etc ready for bin day tomorrow Done
    - so some mandatory training (online) for my other job, and check emails to see if they need me to work on Sunday The link didn't work, so will see if they send me another one tomorrow.
    - do surveys. I've just started doing this, so will be interested to see how quickly the cash mounts up. I seem to get rejected for quite a few... Thanks for the heads up about Prolific Academic - I'll give them a try.
    - check bank statement and add to spreadsheet Bank statement not there yet - maybe tomorrow.
    - decide if I want/need to go to the gym tonight. I should have gone two days ago, but went last night instead, so if I go tonight that'll be two days in a row (I normally go every other day) - probably better to have a rest day, to be honest. Decided not to go
    - get something out of the freezer for dinner tonight. I need to think ahead because the lodger has my microwave, so I can't just defrost in a hurry!! Defrosting nicely.
    - it's blog-writing day. Done.

Right - the porridge is eaten, the tea is drunk, I've checked in here and now there are no more excuses. Time to get up and get on.

Have a good day everyone.
    xx
    Last edited by trailingspouse; 16-10-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 16th Oct 19, 7:21 AM
    • 2,965 Posts
    • 20,250 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    1LL thanks for starting the thread. Hope youíre feeling better.

Trailingspouse with surveys I found you just have to find sites that maximise your time. When I started I did a few and lost the will to live with getting screened out, sometimes a decent way in to the survey for little reward. Pr0lific are very good and you donít get screened out. If you canít get on p1necone they are the same, you donít get screened out and pay £3 a time and often products to test. But you can just apply for that one.

Hope that helps. Purps.
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 16th Oct 19, 8:10 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ditty1234
    The ever returning question - Is it worth £60 to save £4?
    I know it depends on how one spends the £60 - right?
    My ds is smart though - is it worth it, as all together that is about a hundred pound spend in a couple of days
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 16th Oct 19, 8:18 AM
    • 5,448 Posts
    • 33,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Trailing Spouse - Agree that Prolific Academic is a good survey site. You do at least feel you are assisting with academic research.. I used to do one of the big major survey sites, & yes, I had a decent amount of pay-outs, but the amount of surveys where I invested my time then got screened out quite a rip-off length of time into the questions just annoyed me so much in the end that I stopped doing that one. I currently do Prolific (don't wait for an 'invite', sign in & see what's there), YouGov, Ipsos & (less frequently) OnePoll.
    It's not a fortune, but it's defo useful when the cash-out money arrives. It's not all that long ago since I cashed out of Prolific (early summer, I think?) & I'm up to over £30 again. Not bad given that I don't check every day.
    Getting screened out is the most annoying thing, but at least Ipsos still bung you between 5 & 25 points for showing an interest, so better than nothing.
    Hope this is helpful.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £227
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 16th Oct 19, 8:25 AM
    • 5,448 Posts
    • 33,166 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Ditty - I've asked myself the same thing over the past week as we had a supermarket voucher for £6 off £60. As it is a supermarket we use only to get the few things we can't get at Aldi plus a few gifts, I decided it wasn't a helpful voucher atm. We had also already done our grocery shop for the week. I argued that I could go & stock up the pantry & get £6 off, but if I went to a cheaper supermarket, I'd save a lot more than £6. I also considered using it against Christmas food Inc a turkey, but realistically, there is no space in our freezer for storing it. I also felt I was unlikely to need £60 of gifts from one shop. So it was a 'no' from me on this occasion, but I do love a voucher & always consider whether they are worth using.
    F x
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 16th Oct 19, 8:49 AM
    • 5,835 Posts
    • 46,542 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    I agree re the vouchers, I always weigh up whether it is worth it to use them. The only ones where it always is, are the money off fuel vouchers Sainsburys sometimes give for their petrol stations, as their fuel is most of the time the cheapest locally, and as far as I am aware hasn't been involved in the contamination incidents that occurred with some of the other supermarket brands, or the card cloning that is reported to have taken place at some non-supermarket service stations round here
    Today I need to make quince and chilli jelly, or rather finish making it. OH picked the quinces yesterday afternoon, washed them and cut them up, so I cooked them and left to drip through the jelly bag overnight. I decided to add chilli this year, so put in one big fresh one to simmer with the quinces. I now need to measure the extracted juice, boil it up with sugar and a little lemon (or vinegar, haven't decided on that one yet) and stir in some dried chilli flakes when it reaches setting point. Done, it looks really pretty, a lovely deep red colour and clear except for the chilli flakes suspended in it

Also need to fold up and put away dry washing on airer (just 1 item needs ironing, but it can wait till there is more, I am not getting the ironing board out just for that!) Done

Make a sausage casserole for dinner Done, made a big one, will freeze some
    Make a hair appointment (just for a trim) Got onefor tomorrow afternoon. Thought I ought to make the effort as w eare going to a wedding at the weekend.
    Put some sales stuff away Done, sold an ebay item, so got that out at the same time
    A bit more tidyng in the garden if the rain holds off Trimmed back some lavender pots. Emptied a huge urn thing which is far too big for our tiny garden, washed it out and offered it for sale on FB. It sold this afternoon. Paid for but not picked up yet (it will need 2 strong people and a big car, it really is big and heavy), so not actually gone yet. The lady will arrange and let me know when they will come for it.
    Read stuff that new energy company have sent in an email Still to do
    And see what time I have left after that
    Last edited by DawnW; 16-10-2019 at 6:08 PM.

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th Oct 19, 9:36 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 12,184 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all, thanks for the well wishes. Still in pain and barely slept so have decided to ditch the gym for today and tomorrow and potter around at home instead. I want to be fit and rested for Friday as dh & I have a day out planned for just the two of us to celebrate his birthday, then on Saturday we are heading up North so that he can celebrate his big birthday with his mum. So going to take it easy til then.

Todays list will be a grower as I do bits I think!
    pop to aldee with list - just milk, bread, fruit and an ingredient to make his lordships birthday cake to take into work.
    post back faulty router to supplier - free postage
    wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash and hang out as its blue sky!
    check banking/update spreadsheet
    order dh's pressie - we don't usually bother but its a big birthday and this is something he's been looking at for a while but talking himself out of as its expensive. I know he'll love it though and he'll be surprised.
    run the dishwasher on the quick wash & empty
    * bake dh's cake for work
    * make families lunches for tomorrow
    rm surveys done
    Thats enough to be starting with. Take care all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 16-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 16th Oct 19, 1:45 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Gosh I am being a time waster today, took the day off to prepare a presentation, but am struggling to get organised. Might have eaten more of cake from yesterday. By tomorrow afternoon it will all be over and I'll go for a long run/and/or a pint.
    Have washed and hung a machine of laundry though. And managed to not start deep cleaning the whole house.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,835Posts Today

7,454Users online

Martin's Twitter