Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• alexwad
    Options
    does anyone know if you can claim back charges from mid 90s I was charged £thousands by Barclays had to put charge on my parents house which they took to pay of fees went bankrupt.
    I am now retired and could really do with some of it back now.alex
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    alexwad wrote: »
    does anyone know if you can claim back charges from mid 90s I was charged £thousands by Barclays had to put charge on my parents house which they took to pay of fees went bankrupt.
    I am now retired and could really do with some of it back now.alex

No you cant.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any pre-bankruptcy assets belong to the OR.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any pre-bankruptcy assets belong to the OR.
    Since historical bank charges are not reclaimable in the first place, they are not even a potential asset. Only PPI redress is an asset belonging to the OR, the 2009 High Court case ended any possibility of refunds of old bank charges full stop.
    Nowadays only very recent bank charges are sometimes refunded to people in current financial hardship.

Regardless, the OP is wasting his time pursuing this...
  • Lochman
    Options
    Hi sorry if this is in wrong area, I am not familiar with it this works yet. My question would be - since the banks etc are paying this ppi back, they are clearly admitting that it should not have been charged in the first place. So if a client has been charged overdraft charges for being overdrawn due to lack of funds should these charges be reclaimed or are these charges included in ppi reclaim ? Alan.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lochman wrote: »
    since the banks etc are paying this ppi back, they are clearly admitting that it should not have been charged in the first place. So if a client has been charged overdraft charges for being overdrawn due to lack of funds should these charges be reclaimed or are these charges included in ppi reclaim ?
    PPI redress is a full refund of the policy plus interest, no more and no less.
    The relatively small amount of PPI paid per month is unlikely to have been directly responsible for a complainant going overdrawn.
    PPI therefore is irrelevant to Bank Charges.

In addition, the Banks won their court case about unfair Bank Charges a decade ago and since then refunds are only (sometimes) granted to customers deemed to be in the Bank's definition of current financial hardship.

Historical charges are not refunded.

(If you read back through this thread you will see this explained in detail over and over again)
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lochman wrote: »
    Hi sorry if this is in wrong area, I am not familiar with it this works yet. My question would be - since the banks etc are paying this ppi back, they are clearly admitting that it should not have been charged in the first place. So if a client has been charged overdraft charges for being overdrawn due to lack of funds should these charges be reclaimed or are these charges included in ppi reclaim ? Alan.

Banks are only paying back PPI on complaints that are successful. Not on rejected complaints. PPI is not a charge. It is a premium for a product.

PPI redress often does include a refund of incidental charges caused by the PPI premium being paid. You most typically see it on credit card PPI. You rarely see it on loan PPI though as the small monthly cost difference would not likely have changed the fact a bank charge was made or not.
  • jamiec7
    Options
    Hey, is it possible to claim authorized overdraft charges for hardship. I was forced into a DMP by being stuck in a constant 2k overdraft being charged £30-£35 a month for using the overdraft but im unsure if this will only stand for unauthorized overdraft charges or includes authorized.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Neither. But if you're in current hardship, you can ask your bank if they can hep.
  • jamiec7
    Options
    Why neithier when there are literally articles on the MSE website about it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback