Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks that’s helpful - I haven’t sent anything yet. Do you mind me asking if you have some insider/ professional knowledge on this as you sound as if you really know what you are talking about. Can the bank force me into a debt management plan because of financial hardship if I do go ahead and request charges back. I was planning on asking nicely as a gesture of goodwill. The definition of financial hardship on the MoneySavingExpert website is quite broad - do banks all have their own definitions?

The supreme court case is a matter of public record

People have posted on here about their hardship claims with banks, some had 6 months of charges refunded, some have future charges frozen etc. It's hard to tell as each bank and case will be different. The general advice is as you've been given - plead hardship and see what they offer, no harm in asking but don't expect them to say yes as they don't have to. Be prepared for your spending to be looked at to ensure it is hardship, not living beyond your means.

The FOS has a page of advice about financial hardship and what the banks can do (look at your financial circumstances for example), can't do (make everyone the same offer), won't do (write off debt just because you're in hardship) etc

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/financial-hardship-unaffordable-lending.htm
  • Spike2018
    Options
    Hello, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, however I'm hoping someone can help me.

I made a claim for backdated bank charges to Barclays a few years back, I think it amounted to just under £1500 across about 5/6 years and was rejected. I thought that there was noting I could do so just accepted their decision.

I'm now in a situation where I have some debt that I'd like to repay and so my question is this, can I go back and try again to reclaim these charges and if so, do I approach Barclays first or go straight to the financial ombudsman?

Has anyone been in a similar situation that can advise? Thank you in advance for your help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ainecan wrote: »
    my question is this, can I go back and try again to reclaim these charges
    Since 2009 (now a decade ago) historical Bank charges have not been "reclaimable". The Banks won a court case to prevent this...

Why not read a few pages of this thread?

It explains it all in some considerable detail which i don't intend to repeat.......
  • vanessa91
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have a question relating to Ulster Bank “Maintenance Fee” charged for a simple current account.
    Basically, my mother has an account with Ulster Bank Northern Ireland for over 20 years as she has been charged for a “maintenance fee” every single month. These charges initially ranged from a small fee to a current fee of £30 a month. Please note these are separate charges from any overdraft fee noted on statements from years ago.

Now, my mother was told when she signed up to the bank account (and still argues with me till this day about it) she was told “no bank accounts are free” and she seems to think that everyone PAYS for a bank account. She cannot understand that a basic current account is free.

My question is, does she has a claim in this? Considering she was told that this was the only account they offered at the time all those years ago, surely no bank charges up to £30 for a bank account unless you’re getting rewards, which she most certainly has received nothing but grief from Ulster bank over the years!!

On top of this in her previous statements from back in the 90’s, the maintenance fee is described as “managing direct debits” etc. My mother has always been a simple woman with money and hasn’t a direct debit linked to her account in over 10years!!

She will not make an appointment at the bank as tbh, she isn’t great with understanding the terms used in banking language, but I am determined to help and convince her she most certainly needs to.

Hopefully someone can advise?!

Many thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    vanessa91 wrote: »
    My question is, does she has a claim in this?
    Unless you detail exactly what your Mother does or does not get in return (preferential overdraft terms, for example) it's impossible to say..
  • Remortgage_wannabee
    Options
    Hi vanessa91. That sounds like a very good case for misspelling. Though I am no expert just a normal punter. If I was in tor position I would put some work into writing it all down so I had a clear picture of the situation , the background , your assessment of it all and what you are asking for. That would help you make a clear case to the bank. I wouldn’t demand or complain in the first instance just go with a non aggressive approach. Let us know how you get on.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That sounds like a very good case for misspelling
    Not sure what grammar has to do with this :D
  • Manaxais
    Options
    Hi, I want to claim for charges from the 2000s it was with the tsb, then they merged with Lloyds and now I'm with Lloyds (with the same account number). Who do I approach with the claim. I wrote to tsb and they told me to go back to Lloyd's and Lloyd's told me to go to tsb.... Who do I claim from??? Help
    Marina
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Manaxais wrote: »
    Hi, I want to claim for charges from the 2000s it was with the tsb, then they merged with Lloyds and now I'm with Lloyds (with the same account number). Who do I approach with the claim. I wrote to tsb and they told me to go back to Lloyd's and Lloyd's told me to go to tsb.... Who do I claim from??? Help
    Marina

The banks won the supreme court case in 2009. Reclaiming of unfair bank charges (which this thread is about) ended after that.

So, why are you trying to do something you can no longer do?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Manaxais wrote: »
    Marina
    You asked about this already back in March and received answers. Go to the link below:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75549449

This thread is not about Packaged Accounts..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback