PIP in Northern Ireland

Options
kah22
kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
Hi, I helped a friend fill in her DLA to PIP Form a number of weeks back. We pushed hard and got a paper based assessment.

Anyway I’m wondering how long she should have to wait to get a decision. The DfC said 6-8 weeks, while information I’ve been reading online suggests 4-6 weeks, admittedly that’s across the water

I know that claimants here in the North are getting hammered at these assessments, see the Spotlight review sometime back

Can anyone say what the figures are like for those receiving paper based assessments and if Capita’s financial problems has had any affect on the assessments

Kevin

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 February 2018 at 3:09PM
    Options
    kah22 wrote: »
    Hi, I helped a friend fill in her DLA to PIP Form a number of weeks back. We pushed hard and got a paper based assessment.

Anyway I!!!8217;m wondering how long she should have to wait to get a decision. The DfC said 6-8 weeks, while information I!!!8217;ve been reading online suggests 4-6 weeks, admittedly that!!!8217;s across the water

I know that claimants here in the North are getting hammered at these assessments, see the Spotlight review sometime back

Can anyone say what the figures are like for those receiving paper based assessments and if Capita!!!8217;s financial problems has had any affect on the assessments

Kevin

What you are after may be on this link https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmworpen/829/829.pdf
    But why don't you raise a question on https://www.whatdotheyknow.com

Here's the stats for the UK as a whole
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/666525/pip-statistics-to-october-2017.pdf
    With the following referring to N. Ireland http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/work-and-pensions-committee/pip-and-esa-assessments/written/73585.pdf
  • kah22
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Thank you for your response. I had discovered most of what you suggested but the Green Party never crossed my mind
    I suppose what I’m trying to find out is how members, their family and friends got on when applying for PIP herein the North. Official stats are all very well but there is nothing to beat individual response. You’re all the old saying: there are lies, dam lies, and statistics !

Paper based assessments seem pretty uncommon across the water, I’m wondering if it’s the same here. My friend has a chronic mental health problem
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Things seem to move quicker here in NI. A friends Mum was told their wait would be 6-8 weeks from her face to face interview but she had her decision in around 3 weeks.
  • kah22
    Options
    Sambella wrote: »
    Things seem to move quicker here in NI. A friends Mum was told their wait would be 6-8 weeks from her face to face interview but she had her decision in around 3 weeks.
    That’s what I’ve heard the PIP people said 6-8 weeks while from the people at BenefitsAndWork were saying about 4-6, and its coming up on four now and because of my friend’s vulnerability I’m beginning to feel anxious for her. Here is what the BBC had to say about PIP in NI.

That said I suppose there is little we can do but wait, then take it to the next level
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    My friend has a NHS pension .He was awarded low rate DLA a few years ago then they took it of him .He applied for PIP .They came out to his house to assess him and the told them every detail .He has now been awarded mid rate DLA for 5 years
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • kah22
    Options
    Just thought I’d pop back and let you know what is happening. Hopefully the information will be of interest to those in a similar situation. We received the message below from DfC on the 12 March while the process for my friend began officially on 11 January
    We've received the written report of your PIP assessment. We will write to you once we've made a decision on your PIP. As a guide you should hear from us within 4 weeks. You don't need to contact us unless any of the details you gave us have changed. Thank you.
    The wait continues :(

Kevin
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was 3 weeks for me.
    I lost part of what I got with DLA. Was surprised when 3 months later I got a letter from DFC saying they were giving me a sum similar to what I'd lost for 1 year. I didn't even know this existed and is only in NI.
  • kah22
    Options
    It was part of the deal made when SF refused to implement the change from PIP to DLA.

Benefits was a devolved matter but is now back in Westminster hands
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How did this work out?
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • kah22
    Options
    How did this work out?
    No word yet but she did receive a letter from the ESA people telling her that according to new information they had received she was in the support group. I’m hoping that ‘new information’ has come from PIP but the letter was posted on the 5 April the beginning of the financial year

I’ll let you know when we get definite news
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport