PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• 2004nsnazir
    Options
    Finally exchanged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Completion date is set for 20th and we are really excited to finally see the end in sight!
    congratts!

how long did it take from offer being accepted?
  • PassingOutInTheParade
    Options
    13 weeks from offer accepted to draft contract being sent by the seller's solicitor.

Is this a record?
    I'll bet not............
  • Trixsie1989
    Trixsie1989 Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    Still waiting on the fixtures list and have contacted solicitors and estate agents to chase this up.
    I'm sure the EA is fed up of me calling them though, they huffed when I spoke to them on the phone yesterday :rotfl:

And another email chain to EA and solicitor, I have emphasized that we are now only waiting on these last few bits to exchange so EA is actively hurrying vendors solicitors in providing the information we are missing! Hopefully not too much longer!
    Debt free finally :j
    First house purchase ... 2018 :j
  • Tiffyb
    Tiffyb Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys!!

Here we are so far,

14/7 viewing, offer, offer accepted!! (yay!!)
    21/7 Solicitors Details sent to estate agent.
    around 15/7 memorandum of sale agreed.

Fast forward to the last two weeks - AIP agreed (finally!!)
    last two days the conveyancey people (like my legal terms hehe) have started speaking to the other side and doing searches etc.
    Today we got tolld our mortgage lender is fine with us and just need to do a house valuation!
    We have no chain and nor does the seller, so i am hoping for speedy speed.
  • KingMob
    KingMob Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jennhg88 wrote: »
    What on earth?! I don't think they can insist on that. Not so much risk if FTB and no chain but imagine if you had a long chain and were expected to exchange and complete on the same day :eek:

Whole process has been a nightmare, fortunately been lucky the vendor is a really nice/helpful couple and their EA has been very straightforward with me. My solicitor been dragging heels for weeks possibly due to work load. Final hurdles cleared this afternoon after some shouting and received documentation with view to complete next week.

Don't know how anyone could have managed a chain in this scenario, taken me until today to even determine when to book leave/movers/etc.
  • jennhg88
    jennhg88 Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well my sale and purchase are ready to go, BUT bottom of the chain (my buyer!!!8217;s sale) has a massive delay that the EA told me was previously sorted. Absolutely fuming and could potentially lose my purchase.
    Today is going to be fun.
  • FTBNow
    FTBNow Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    We are now ready to go our end: sent funds for deposit today to our solicitor and given them authority to exchange over the phone. Now just been told that the vendors solicitor is still checking the file for completion and are unable to advise when the review will be completed.

So we need to give authority again.

What a nightmare: the vendors solicitor has been nothing but a pain from the start with constant hold-ups. We are hoping to complete next Friday and our vendor is a primary school teacher who is desperate to complete.
  • jedthehumanoid
    Options
    Just had a call from our Solicitor - everything back from the other side and ready to exchange this afternoon, fingers crossed. Looking at completion on 17/08. The end is in sight...

So close - one query outstanding apparently then we're ready to go. We're first time buyers purchasing a probate property so no reason for completion to take any time after exchange. Hoping to be in really soon so we can do a little bit of work before we have to leave our rented property at the end of August.
  • timefortea
    Options
    Three people I know who've recently bought houses are telling me that exchange and completion happens on the same day and that's normal, but the prevailing opinion on MSE seems to be that it's not. Does anyone know if there are regional differences? I'd really rather have a week or two in between but if that's not the norm in my area I don't suppose I'll get it.
  • jennhg88
    jennhg88 Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    timefortea wrote: »
    Three people I know who've recently bought houses are telling me that exchange and completion happens on the same day and that's normal, but the prevailing opinion on MSE seems to be that it's not. Does anyone know if there are regional differences? I'd really rather have a week or two in between but if that's not the norm in my area I don't suppose I'll get it.

It's not normal and if in a chain particularly risky.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback