PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Spending_Vs_Saving
    Options
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Nice to meet you all!
    X

Welcome to one of the friendliest threads on the forum :p
    meg72 wrote: »
    Its cash everytime for me, when I used my card I was always forgetting one or two or three times it was used, now with the cash in my purse. I know exactly what Ive spent by whats left and have got to hate seeing it go down so am more careful and aware everytime I go shopping.
    Helen x

I think i'm going to go back to the seperate "cash only" purse for food shopping i'm struggling too when i use my cards.
    Thank you, thats so kind.......getting better :D but scared myself silly!! and feeling apprehensive in case it happens again :o as its not something I would like to repeat ;)

Hope your feeling much better now.

I'm joining in again for June with £60.00 (this is to include healthier foods need to loose some lbs that have creeped back on) I think i had an overspend of about £20 in May but this was mainly a take out for my birthday cos i said i wasn't cooking!!:rotfl:Lost a couple of smaller receipts i think inbetween a couple of bevvies.

Thankyou to the usual posters who start of the thread each month.
    Consolidated and under control 42 payments to go.
    :cool::(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(
    [STRIKE]£7028.50[/STRIKE]£5990.43
    Aim: 35 and Debtfree
  • empy
    empy Posts: 325 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 June 2012 at 12:51PM
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave: I've started this grocery challenge sooo many times and not stuck with it so many times, BUT this time I will :D Whats different this time? Well in my last attempts I was working and didn't need to save the money! Now though as of yesterday I'm no longer working and officially a SAHM and Wifey :j so I'm now on a very strict grocery budget so we can still enjoy the other great pleasures of life such as traveling etc.

Can I please ask Jelly Bean to be put down for the month of June, the total sum of £200.
    Thank you.

In future it will be more like £250-£275 but I've got two freezers full of food and a very healthy store of cupboard items.
    I'm really looking forward to this challenge and trying out some of the lush sounding recipes at the beginning of the thread.

Have a great Jubilee weekend everyone.
    empy x
    OS Grocery Challenge
    August £250/ £103.44 left
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Hello and welcome to all our new people and our returners - nice to see
    you all on here

Gien - you don't have to set a target to be on here - why don't you start posting regularly so that you get the practise before you really start - maybe you could set an imaginary figure for June [maybe what you would like to aim for] and then just have a go :]

Fozie - hope you are starting to feel better

JJ - lovely planter, well done to your kids

debbym - OMG, what a lot of things you've had to/will have to provide, no wonder so much of your budget has already gone

It was going to be a NSD but the dog is poorly so DH had been out and bought some plain rice that he can have with some chicken mince bought from the pet shop to help out his tummy. DH also bought a small baking tray as ours has vanished!!!

Pouring with rain on and off here today - hope those of you at Jubilee parties have a good time

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Options
    Oh heavens I always knew this first month maybe an eye opener/learning curve but you could literally pick me up off the floor with how much we have already spent on food this month :eek::eek::eek:

I really need to start meal planning- im off work this week so I think I will try and start some kind of folder/spread sheet

Today's spends:

Aldi: £34
    Market (for meat) £24
    Wilko's: £16 (didnt really need anything went in for a 'look') :o
    2nd Purse: £3
    Tesco: £13

The above is excessive- there is me, OH and 1 cat, we have stocked up on meat though and did get a load of reduced tomatos in aldi and reduced peppers that OH is making into tom & basil soup as I type

Also, OH is batch cooking a chilli to freeze in portions-told him to add loads of beans/lentils etc and we having HM curry for tea again with LO to freeze- I said put couple tins chickpeas into curry to stretch it out :D

Im off for a lie down to get over the shock :rotfl:
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just had a nice suprise, last week I was given a four pack of smart price chocolate mousse, when I came to try one I couldnt find them and thought I must have thrown them out by mistake.

I have got back from bargain hunting iand was trying to find space in the freezer and there they were so I tried one, frozen, and they are delish, just like the expensive chocolate icecream. I think they are 4 for 29p, so shame theres no room in the freezer for anymore.

Will update signature later as got a lot of reduced meat and fish. I cant fit everything in so will see if my neighbour wants some.
    Slimming World at target
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm still with the GC, honest, I just haven't had enough spare time to read and post between working, managing money, and updating the MFW2012 thread.

I know that helen jelly, rosieben and all the other wonderful posters on the challenge will be keeping everyone on track, they're brilliant.

Keeping track of my spends on my spreadsheet and updating my sig when I remember. My budget for June will again be £240 for me, him and our two lovely cats.

I'll try and pop in more in June and wish everyone well with their challenge.

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    I really want to go out and mooch around the shops but I know I cant do that without spending, so staying in and hence NSD ;)

I defrosted steak burgers for my tea and WAS going out to buy a couple of rolls......but of course I wouldnt stop at just buying that, so have MADE 2 rolls instead :j from 1/4 bag of bread mix I had in the cupboard.

Mmmmmm....maybe I could just pop out and look for YS's, I havent been out of the house since Weds and I need the fresh air.....???? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Bikingbint
    Bikingbint Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I don't actually do the GC as such but I do keep a note of all spends etc. and read the thread on a regular basis. I was hoping to use some of your expertise to answer a question for me :D

I am not good at breadmaking and have created many a doorstop :eek: so I have just invested in a panasonic breadmaker. I am very impressed, so is DH. I have made edible bread, my problem is that I find it very difficult to slice any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried leaving it until the next day to slice and still the same problem.

Thanks in advance and back to lurkdom.

Bikingbint
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £25.00 to start off Junes GC..spent between MrAs and A**is..next 4 days will be NSDs as Im away doing courier work to Sidmouth...not back till late Thursday...theres tons in the fridge, freezer and cupboards to keep the kids fed till I get back...dont worry they are 22,19,18 16 5 and 2....not leaving tinies home alone lol xx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,
    Miserable day here and no shopping planned. Having a trawl through the cupboards and so far have cooked sausage casserole for tea, held a sausage back to add to stuffing for tomorrow lunch, made lovely asparagus soup in the microwave and have joint of beef defrosting. Plan on making a veggie curry and some dal for lunches next week.
    Have herb garden envy having seen JJ's, mine looks a bit pathetic with parsley and basil.
    Have found 650kgs of pork belly in the freezer which I paid a total of £1.27 for, going to look for a recipe and see what delights I can come up with.
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business