Options
1235»

Comments

• shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I've heard of a case where the woman brought another baby along to the GPs for the test so that the result would show he wasn't the father.

If she's determined to make the new man believe he's the father, that's something to watch for.
    You'd hope that the husband attended (was able to attend) the same appointment for DNA sampling.

When I went through the process the mother, baby and myself all went together.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shiny76 wrote: »
    You'd hope that the husband attended (was able to attend) the same appointment for DNA sampling.

When I went through the process the mother, baby and myself all went together.

The break-up had been bad (because she wanted to 'move on with her life' with the new man) and she wouldn't allow him anywhere near the baby.

The tests were done separately.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    4. She goes from man to man throughout the child's life - giving the child a string of 'fathers'.
    Or how about
    5. The BIL contests custody and he brings the child up (assuming DNA shows him to be the father).

Not guaranteed to succeed if contested as family courts do still tend to be very sexist, but an option nonetheless.
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Unless there are possible inherited problems then it may well be best for the child to let sleeping dogs lie. The child is most important here, it did not ask to be put in this situation. If she comes back to the BIL how long will it be before that child hears something, will the whole family be able to keep quiet for the rest of time even if the child does turn out to be the BILs.

And if this is all dealt with now, before the child is at all aware, that will be a lot better than leaving it be and risking serious emotional distress down the line if the child finds out accidentally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure