PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 9:46PM
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:....ahem...as you were...

EDIT; and Caron - sorry to hear that news....I think you're allowed more than one glass of wine in the circumstances. In your position right now - I'd probably have several glasses, followed by throwing the empty bottle (hard!) at something and then start googling for alternative health ideas on this when I "came round" the following morning. Guessing you might have already researched the complementary medicine route??

Though I guess trying to clear up a pile of broken glass may not be the best idea when one has a bad back episode.......back to the drawing board as to what to throw then....I've been known to throw every item of footwear I possess (rather a lot) at a wall before now in those sort of circumstances...and the shoes can be picked up later (when your back feels better).
    Thank you - though I'll avoid the broken glass, spilled cream was enough for one day :eek:. Tbh they've been pretty open from the start re outlook/prognosis so no big shock much as I might want it not to be. Much as medical science can work wonders somethings at present "are what they are" and compared to a year ago things are much better so I've a lot to be thankful for, it's not terminal and things could be so much worse ;):cool:

ETA: re alternative treatments, looked into lots but the main ones re diet etc. are fairly mainstream and I follow those already Vestibular "cures" where there is an established medical pathology seem to beyond credible alternative practitioners as well.....
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    My back has gone back to just being twingey unless I sit or stand for too long. so on the grounds that being mobile is best I hoovered and mopped all the floors this morning and gave the house a good airing :D, suffice to say I'm more than ready for a sit down now. :cool:
    There's another gale due tonight and outside the weather is rapidly closing in so I'm glad I don't need to go out this afternoon. I'm swithering re dinner tonight of either an easy option of pork steak, veg, mash and gravy or making a venison sausage or meatballs and green lentil casserole. I've only enough sausages for one portion but the base mix will make two whereas if I go with meatballs I can have one and freeze one, oh decisions, decisions.......
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 October 2017 at 3:41PM
    Options
    I'm making a keema mince ... I think I'll serve that with spaghetti as that's quicker than using it as a spud topping or serving with rice.

EDIT: Photo of keema mince & spaghetti: https://s1.postimg.org/8tumpl7ev3/Keema.jpg
    All cooked in the magical nuclear box, of course :)

81hr7uqt4w
    caronc wrote: »
    There's another gale due tonight and outside the weather is rapidly closing in

I think it's most north west .... so I will mostly avoid the hurricane that's coming. They are using the word hurricane..... although that might be the one after the gale.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

I'm having one of those days today :(.

Breakfast was supposed to be scrambled egg on toast, but for some reason I set the button on the microwave for 3 minutes on full power! Came out of the bathroom to find egg splattered all over the microwave. By the time I had cleaned it up the toast had gone cold. So I just stuck some butter on that, and had a banana as well.

Lunch was interesting. I went to the supermarket and when I cam home my brother was here, and he had been through the freezer looking for some rolls to defrost. As it is new and everything has been moved around between the the two freezers he had trouble finding them Meanwhile he had take a bag of blackberries and some filo pastry out and forgotten to put them back and both had defrosted. So lunch was a quickly made apple and blackberry filo pie, with Greek yoghurt (well I had to really :D).

I will add that my brother has a key and my permission to go through the freezers/fridge/cupboards and help himself if he is working in this town, He always pays for what he uses or replaces it so I don't mind :).

I'm not sure what the freezer surprise is tonight, it is some sort of casserole, and looks like it is either chicken or turkey. All will be revealed later. I'll have whatever it is with steamed veg and plain potatoes.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    wort wrote: »
    Farway, that looks yummy.
    Can you post recipe please ? It looks similar to one my mum used to make, and I keep trying to replicate!

Here you go, http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/25621/almost-fat-free-tea-loaf.aspx

I used less sugar, about 50g, as I don't like things too sweet, plus I was adding marmalade
    I deviated slightly in the method by adding sugar into the hot tea & fruit mix to dissolve sugar, I also stirred in a tablespoon of marmalade into the tea mix. Left to soak overnight. It really was that easy, and fat free so nil calories:D

Bit late on parade, AGM after lunch of smoked salmon, cream cheese & salady bits

Dinner is planned as cheese topped mushroom omelette, I have heap of mushrooms need using up, and seems an ideal way

HH, seems a normal CFO day, plans made & changed as "things" change.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    ... nil calories:D
    Correct :)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you Farway , I will definitely try that with my grandson ,as we usually do baking together. I'll be using gluten free white mix Instead of flour, so I'll see how it comes out.:T

I had other half of frittata for lunch with a muller corner, and after work came hungry so just had homemade g free pizza, with chicken ,chilli, peppers,onions, and mushrooms on. MI try to have a couple made up in freezer for when I CBA! Trying to decide what to have for afters now! I picked up some yellow sticker ed gf scones, and I've got half a pot of cream open so if I can motivate myself to whisk it, it will be jam and cream scone and a cuppa.:j
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Lovely looking keema PN - I love keema mince:D.
    There is definitely a storm on the way and it's been pretty much dark since just before 6pm. Nevermind I'm nice and snug indoors. I picked the remaining toms from the hanging baskets and now have 2 huge bowls to sort through tomorrow;). Decided in the end up to go with the pork steak option and I'll cook some mushrooms and kale to go with it and the mash & gravy. A decent dinner for a wintery night:).
  • caronc
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

I'm having one of those days today :(.

Breakfast was supposed to be scrambled egg on toast, but for some reason I set the button on the microwave for 3 minutes on full power! Came out of the bathroom to find egg splattered all over the microwave. By the time I had cleaned it up the toast had gone cold. So I just stuck some butter on that, and had a banana as well.

Lunch was interesting. I went to the supermarket and when I cam home my brother was here, and he had been through the freezer looking for some rolls to defrost. As it is new and everything has been moved around between the the two freezers he had trouble finding them Meanwhile he had take a bag of blackberries and some filo pastry out and forgotten to put them back and both had defrosted. So lunch was a quickly made apple and blackberry filo pie, with Greek yoghurt (well I had to really :D).

I will add that my brother has a key and my permission to go through the freezers/fridge/cupboards and help himself if he is working in this town, He always pays for what he uses or replaces it so I don't mind :).

I'm not sure what the freezer surprise is tonight, it is some sort of casserole, and looks like it is either chicken or turkey. All will be revealed later. I'll have whatever it is with steamed veg and plain potatoes.
    Yikes nothing worse than cemented on scrambled egg:eek:
    Farway wrote: »
    fat free so nil calories:D
    And lots of your five a day-positively a health food and if you slather it with butter you're protecting your bones as well:rotfl::rotfl:
    wort wrote: »
    I picked up some yellow sticker ed gf scones, and I've got half a pot of cream open so if I can motivate myself to whisk it, it will be jam and cream scone and a cuppa.:j
    Sound like a plan you've got to use things up:D;)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, that was interesting! Today's food adventures continue :). The chicken or turkey casserole turned out to be a sausage casserole, but, I really enjoyed it and if I had of had the choice of the three it's the one I would have chosen. So all's well that ends well :D.

I'm looking forward to tomorrows surprise dinner now. At least I don't have to think about what to have and make decisions while I'm using up UFOs from the freezer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure