PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Options

Comments

• bikeman17
    bikeman17 Posts: 233 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My girlfriend and I looking to buy a flat together. I own a house on BTL. Would I need to pay the 3% extra tax on the second property. We are currently renting.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bikeman17 wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I looking to buy a flat together. I own a house on BTL. Would I need to pay the 3% extra tax on the second property. We are currently renting.

We don't deal with tax issues I'm afraid. I'd suggest posting on the wider forum for advice on this
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes of course. You are buying a 2nd property. That is what the tax on 2nd properties is designed for.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2017 at 5:09PM
    Options
    Maybe. From the consultation document:

"A owns both a main residence and a second home. She sells her main residence and purchases a new one. Although she has two properties at the end of the day of the transaction, she has replaced her main residence so the higher rates will not apply."

Unfortunately for you, you can't sell your rented main residence so this doesn't apply to you. Rarely it could make sense to buy a cheap interest in a place first so you do fall within this exemption.

However, only you own, not your girlfriend.

Did you ever sell a place that was your main residence? If you ever did, however long ago, that's enough to get you out of it if you complete before 26 November 2018.

Did she ever sell? If you're married on the day of completion that would save you, but not if you aren't. Provided completion is before 26 November 2018.

Is the BTL worth more than £40,000? Is the part owned by you worth more than £40,000? Will you still own a portion worth more than £40,000 at the time of the purchase?

The part you're buying also has to be worth more than £40,000 for the tax to be due. You could be able to buy less than that.

Have a read of The all-important rule that could see you escape paying higher rates of Stamp Duty The rules are quite complicated so getting advice from the solicitor you plan to use for conveyancing would be sensible.

The easy answer is yes but that assumes the flat is in a non-cheap area and it is worth thinking about the no cases because they might apply now or by the time of completion.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    No. From the consultation document:

"A owns both a main residence and a second home. She sells her main residence and purchases a new one. Although she has two properties at the end of the day of the transaction, she has replaced her main residence so the higher rates will not apply."

So long as it's to be your main residence it's fine. Do discuss with your conveyancing solicitor, of course.

That's a completely different scenario.

bikeman isn't selling his main residence and buying another house to live in - "My girlfriend and I looking to buy a flat together. I own a house on BTL."
  • koolishy65
    Options
    hi i am thinking to buy a house but on a deeds street name and post code is wrong is that easy to change? and how long it take to update correct detail ? or should i pull out?. thanks
  • G_M
    Options
    bikeman - ignore jamesd's post above. It contains misinformation, as well as focussing on a scenario which does not equate to yours.

The only way you can avoid the additional SDLT would be to first sell your BTL property.

Neither you nor your girlfriend would then own any property, and hence neither of you would be buying a 2nd property.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of saying what I posted is wrong, try doing what I did and pointing to a reputable source that says so and contradicts the one I gave. if you do and it shows I'm wrong I'll be happy to edit my post to incorporate the correction.

What Mojilola quoted is an accidentally posted incomplete draft that was accidentally posted. The text in the draft wasn't complete and that meant it was wrong when it was posted.

bikeman17 can simply read the source i linked to, consider the value of the property, consider whether they might get married before completion and consider whether it's worth doing any transactions involving the BTL property that might improve their position.

Part of what I try to do here is explain and point to possible ways that the position can be improved. No just guess at a property value, whether they might or might not plan to get married before completion or whether one of them might have previously sold a residence.
    G_M wrote: »
    The only way you can avoid the additional SDLT would be to first sell your BTL property.
    That is not necessarily true, as the source I linked to explains. The easiest way to avoid it is just to be under the value threshold but either of them having sold a residence before could do that if they plan to get married before completion and if completion happens within the time limit. And so says the reputable source I linked to, so if you believe otherwise, you might try linking to a reputable source saying otherwise.
  • someboody
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to find out the contact details of the owner of a property and want to find out whether the owner will be informed that I conducted a search on his/her property?

At the moment, I'd like to stay anonymous and don't want to alert the owner that a search has been conducted on his/her property for fear that the owner may try to abscond as I need to serve legal documents to the owner.

Bearing this in mind, is it possible to pay the £3 to get a copy of the title register for that property without the owner being informed?

Would really appreciate if anyone knowledgeable could kindly advise me on this.

Many thanks :)
  • G_M
    Options
    The owner will not be informed if you download the Title documents from the LR for £3.

Whether the address provided for him is actual address is not guaranteed. I assume he is not resident at the property - Many peple fail to notfy the LR of their address when they move out of their property.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback