Force Internet Service Providers to allow capped allowance usage

Options
12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Its not an anomaly. There simply isnt any infrastructure for any other company to use.
    Kingston own the hardware for the area. They are under no obligation to open that up to other companies.
    so who is going to pay for Openreach to lay a full cable set up for the area Kingston cover?

I'm pretty sure it can be described as an anomaly as there's no other area of the UK that I'm aware of in a similar position.

Other companies can use their infrastructure if they desire, in fact there is a business BB supplier (Nexus Telecoms) who do so. For the consumer market it's just not worth the investment.
    In May 2008 the "Review of the wholesale broadband access markets"[15] report published by Ofcom determined that KC was not acting in a way that would keep out rival companies, and that pricing for wholesale broadband and access to local-loop unbundling was within the market range. The main reason cited by rivals for not providing services in the Hull area was rather one of overall cost effectiveness, given the relatively small number of potential customers (190,000 homes), and the fact that many of these would be likely to remain with the incumbent supplier.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCOM_Group#Monopoly_concerns
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    How are you able to monitor the useage?
    If you can see it via the modem , I think you can probably restrict access to the machine that is 'hitting its limit'. I dont know about consoles at all but if you know what each machine is downloading and are rationing the gbs per user, can you not then switch off that machine's access?
    It doesn't solve the problem of the provider not caring whether you go over or not but it would be an incentive to the kids not to ignore the quotas you set.
  • darkovo
    darkovo Posts: 209 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    culpepper wrote: »
    How are you able to monitor the useage?

Usage is shown within their website - my account part.

My router has QoS but doesn't work in the way that would really help. I do MAC filtering and block specific connections manually at will sometimes, this is the hitler in me.

A better router could shape traffic better and possibly allow setting a cap but I haven't seen one, also that would be another expense.
    But if my ISP allowed me to set a cap on my account...
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 October 2018 at 1:22PM
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Which mobile provider let's you switch on and off a cap at will? And what would be the point?

BT mobile do. There is a delay for the setting to propagate through the network.

I have set my bill cap to £0 after calling an international number by accident. In terms of data, I'm on a low contract so I barely use it. It's only when my wifi connection drops and I don't notice. I found in android you can block certain apps from ever using data, so I've set that on pretty much everything now.
    darkovo wrote: »
    A better router could shape traffic better and possibly allow setting a cap but I haven't seen one, also that would be another expense.

If you get a router that can run openwrt then you can probably do all the things you want. I know it's more money, but it's a one off hit & the routers that support openwrt tend to be older and cheaper ones anyway. I have a WNDR3700 that I've had for 6 or 7 years. It's what they used to call a cable router, which I then plug into the isp's supplied modem (whether that is adsl or virgin). It's better if you can switch the ISP's router to modem only mode, but I've been running in double NAT mode for ages now and it doesn't bother me.

It makes it super easy to swap suppliers every year, I just wait for the old broadband to stop and then unplug the old router and plug the new one in. One time I was only down for about 5 minutes, although my last switch took about 12 hours because the old ISP stopped working around lunch time and the new ISP only enabled the connection at midnight.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds great as it is need of the hour. However, there are actually internet service providers who are genuine and authentic. You can visit Kiindly to find such providers and can also avail coupon deals and cash back offers when you register fro a service through the website.

That's handy but this is a UK forum, post on a US forum.
  • darkovo
    darkovo Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    Well just found out the new packages have arrived at KCOM, now with "Unlimited data" allowance at similar prices to previous packages. Finally!

Also now a 12 month contract rather than 18 months, so I'm happier to upgrade and tie in now.
    Glad I held out another month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport