Force Internet Service Providers to allow capped allowance usage

Options

Comments

• darkovo
    darkovo Posts: 209 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Let's say you get your wish and Kcom put a cap in place, what will you say when your internet gets stopped or reduced to a Giffgaff like crawl so you can barely load an email up let alone stream content or play online games?

I'd say thank fluff I don't owe them £10's-£100's this month for accidentally going over my usage limit.
    Then I'd pick up my mobile phone and check the internet on there.

I think you're a bit confused, it's me the customer putting the cap on, KCOM would just be allowing this on my account now. All other monitoring services will still be in place as they currently are. I could take the cap off if I wanted to pay more that month for the extra usage.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    darkovo wrote: »
    Yes unlimited should be the norm now, too much of a money maker for the ISP.

Except UL is the norm and is even available for the potential 190,000 customers in Kcom's area. Your complaint is actually that it's too dear (for your speeds I'd disagree) or there's no lower speed alternatives.

Would your wife be happy if her streamed TV stopped working? I highly doubt she'd be pleased with just being able to check her email on the phone.
  • darkovo
    Options
    They all have to shortly to stop bill shock although as pointed out elsewhere it won't stop the scammers. You'd probably have to phone up to activate it anyway so I'd have thought it was pretty much a one shot deal.

All the different mobile operators my family uses have the option in their webpage account logon now, easily click a few buttons to set limits to this and that and a full cap to £0 extra if needed by limiting service, ideal in my eyes.
  • darkovo
    Options
    Except UL is the norm and is even available for the potential 190,000 customers in Kcom's area. Your complaint is actually that it's too dear (for your speeds I'd disagree) or there's no lower speed alternatives.

Would your wife be happy if her streamed TV stopped working? I highly doubt she'd be pleased with just being able to check her email on the phone.

Yes it's morphed into a bit of a moan but I originally wanted 1 simple thing, allow me to cap broadband usage.

You're digging at a certain angle and missing my main point of wanting this cap to stop unwanted extra charges.

Choices, alternatives, affordability, customer preferences are still high on the list of wants, but are lower in the pecking order to a simple cap.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It really isn't, Hull is unique from my ISP availability point of view, but I can still see the benefit for other ISP customers that are also not on unlimited packages, ie. unaware customers having the grandkids to stay could easily see a bill rise of multiple £10's because they only have a 30GB limit per month and weren't aware the littleuns phones and tablets could do so much.

Yes requested many times, they just aren't interested, saying I can monitor usage with my account logon and email alerts, which I have to do.

Yes unlimited should be the norm now, too much of a money maker for the ISP.

So its back to how do you force them? unlimited packages are becoming the norm IMO (i have never had anything but since moving from dial up)
    So i dont see you getting much mass behind your request.
    I wonder how many folks arent on unlimited in Kingstons customer base
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    KCOMs's product bandings are either a bit daft or designed to push customers to the top price. 200Mbps with a 200Gb cap or 400Mbps with a 400Gb cap. Most households today would be happy with a lower speed, say 100Mbps, with a larger cap, say 500Gb or unlimited.
  • darkovo
    Options
    littleboo wrote: »
    KCOMs's product bandings are either a bit daft or designed to push customers to the top price. 200Mbps with a 200Gb cap or 400Mbps with a 400Gb cap. Most households today would be happy with a lower speed, say 100Mbps, with a larger cap, say 500Gb or unlimited.

Yes, tactically done.

I must also say that I'm on an older package so my limits are:
    200 GB allowance

50 Mbps download speed

5 Mbps upload speed

I could sign up for the newer limits but at the expense of being tied in to a new 18 month contract, nfw to that! And tbh faster download and upload speeds would only eat into the allowance quicker, due to streaming apps would always default to the highest quality setting (although they probably do already).
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As KC is your only choice apart from no Internet or very expensive mobile data (for the amounts you use) why the problem with a new 18 month contract if it fits your needs?
  • darkovo
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    As KC is your only choice apart from no Internet or very expensive mobile data (for the amounts you use) why the problem with a new 18 month contract if it fits your needs?

Hoping for something better to come along, hope is all I have ☺️
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hoping for something better to come along, hope is all I have ☺️

Unless you've heard a rumour I wouldn't think anything is going to change in the next 18 months.

Since you're out of contract and paying for a lesser service to new customers why not call them and see if you can get the 400GB limit for around the same price? Given their monopoly (in effect) they don't have to offer anything but you never know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure