PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Miro - that's fab. :T
    What a wonderful pair of earrings it might have been.

A few thoughts:
    the hallmark is on the bale so it means that bit is 9 carat gold but if the antique expert is right about it possibly being added later, the rest may not be gold or - excitingly - it might be more than 9 carat gold.
    DFV may be right and it did come Birmingham's jewellery quarter. And if it did, I wouldn't be surprised it it was at least 18 carat or even 22 carat. :eek:
    Is it a very yellow gold?

I know a bit about silver stamps, I guess gold is similar.
    On silver there's a lion passant to signify it's silver, a town mark (you have the anchor for Birmingham) and a date letter which indicates the year of manufacture.
    And the maker's mark which is - probably PFB or PEB.

You should be able to find a website that shows all this information.
    I have one about silver but it doesn't show a maker PEB or PFB but I'm not surprised at that because in the past they were probably discrete skills and professions - and maybe still are.

It might be worth taking it to an Indian/Asian jewellers if you have one nearby and asking what they make of it.

Do let us know what you find out about it.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    miro -

I smashed all 3 of my 30 year old pyrex dishes yesterday (by accident), wow that stuff shatters. I now just have 3 lids so I will be on the hunt for some 'new' dishes.

Oh what a shame Dolly. I love my ancient Pyrex (mine’s Chelsea) and my daughters have started collecting it too now as apparently it’s all the rage amongst youngsters.

I don’t know what part of the country you are in, but they always have it in the Nettlebed sales (every three weeks, between Henley and Wallingford) at prices between 50p and £2. I saw a woman buy a huge cardboard box full recently, a whole dinner set and more, for a fiver!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 April 2019 at 12:28PM
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your interest in my recent find :)

DigForVictory: Loved your story!
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Wow, that's gorgeous Miro. Did you get a valuation?

The jeweller said he could only give a valuation in terms of the scrap value of the gold and diamonds and mentioned a figure of around £130....not that I would dream of scrapping it!!

Pollycat wrote: »
    Miro - that's fab. :T
    What a wonderful pair of earrings it might have been.

A few thoughts:
    the hallmark is on the bale so it means that bit is 9 carat gold but if the antique expert is right about it possibly being added later, the rest may not be gold or - excitingly - it might be more than 9 carat gold.
    DFV may be right and it did come Birmingham's jewellery quarter. And if it did, I wouldn't be surprised it it was at least 18 carat or even 22 carat. :eek:
    Is it a very yellow gold?

I know a bit about silver stamps, I guess gold is similar.
    On silver there's a lion passant to signify it's silver, a town mark (you have the anchor for Birmingham) and a date letter which indicates the year of manufacture.
    And the maker's mark which is - probably PFB or PEB.

You should be able to find a website that shows all this information.
    I have one about silver but it doesn't show a maker PEB or PFB but I'm not surprised at that because in the past they were probably discrete skills and professions - and maybe still are.

It might be worth taking it to an Indian/Asian jewellers if you have one nearby and asking what they make of it.

Do let us know what you find out about it.

I think you may well be right about only the new bit being 9ct gold and the rest possibly being purer, (and softer!). It does have that orangey/yellowy cast that Asian jewellery seems to have and that would also explain the damage to the 'leaves' which are very delicate and fragile. (Bent out of shape and small bits broken off) I can't imagine anyone would set real diamonds in anything like a base metal? There are two more stamps visible, one either side of the 375 and anchor stamps but they are very worn and unreadable sadly. I did pop into a local Asian jewellers with the item, (just getting into the shop through the security procedures was :eek:), but there was a major language/communication problem so I didn't get very far with that. I shall continue with enquiries and research as I am very intrigued and love a mystery!! Wish the Antwacky Roadshow was about to pay a visit nearby!!

P.S. Just realised that there is a tiny ring attached underneath the 'leaves', (clearly visible in the 'leaf' photo - why have I not noticed it before?) So something must have been attached to dangle from there. Obviously this thingy has been remodelled a fair few times :p
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No pressure Miro, but, Antiques Roadshow open free & filming:
    Morden Hall Park Sunday 2nd June
    Lytham Hall Tuesday 11th June
    V&A Dundee Sunday 23 June
    Compton Verney Tuesday 2nd July
    Battle Abbey Tuesday 9th July
    The National Botanic Garden of Wales Friday 19th July
    Castle Ward Thursday 25 July

Looks like your amazing story spindle had a fascinating life!

I do love the idea that Pyrex is coming back in & the young are hunting it. It's almost as sweetly bemusing as hearing someone bought a mess-tin & KFS set (of the sort you take camping) for over £40 as it was dated as if it could have been used in Vietnam, & right now that's 'trendy'...
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Have been decluttering and avoiding charity shops a bit recently.

Popped into a local one last friday and picked up 2 avon products for a £1...shower gel and shampoo with conditioner. Have used the shampoo today and it smells lovely.

I pick up lots of products like this and it saves so much money.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The downside of being a Denbyholic is when himself finally slips the leash & hunts & comes back, to find the Regency Green 2 pint jug has cracked in transit. A tiny internal barely an inch crack, but the poor soul is muttering dark words & I'm grieving for them both.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CJ - I'm in Yorkshire so Nettlebed is not nearby. I will track replacements down on my travels I'm sure.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back to the normal charity shopping today! First in the hospice chazza I found just the sort of necklace I have been looking for....a long silvery/gunmetal fancy chain pendant thingy with a large burgundy glass bead. Pricy at £1.99 but perfect to go with the sheath* dress I got from the 90% off M & S sale last year.. Then in the 99p shop in Otley a silky blouse by Avivi in bottle green with oriental stylee pink and red chrysanthemums and swan-like birds. Shawl collar and a crossover front with ties at the waist. Might have to get out the old sewing machine again tho as the long sleeves are just a touch on the snug side. Thinking of shortening them to just above the elbow and putting in a small V of the fabric on the inside seam. Dunno if it will work but worth a try....:o

*Do people still use this word to describe a straight up and down dress?
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Back to the normal charity shopping today! First in the hospice chazza I found just the sort of necklace I have been looking for....a long silvery/gunmetal fancy chain pendant thingy with a large burgundy glass bead. Pricy at £1.99 but perfect to go with the sheath* dress I got from the 90% off M & S sale last year.. Then in the 99p shop in Otley a silky blouse by Avivi in bottle green with oriental stylee pink and red chrysanthemums and swan-like birds. Shawl collar and a crossover front with ties at the waist. Might have to get out the old sewing machine again tho as the long sleeves are just a touch on the snug side. Thinking of shortening them to just above the elbow and putting in a small V of the fabric on the inside seam. Dunno if it will work but worth a try....:o

*Do people still use this word to describe a straight up and down dress?

I think it might be tube dress or something but I knew what you meant.

DH has picked up a couple of nice things today. A short sleeved Levi's checked shirt in shades of blue for £2.50 and an unworn Rohan jumper, it is fleece but styled like a smarter jumper, it's still on the website https://www.rohan.co.uk/Mens-Mid-Season-Sale-Shoreline-Jumper?ocode=05168J96&cr=MensMidSeasonSale .

We paid £5.50 for it.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I think it might be tube dress or something but I knew what you meant.
    Me too. :)
    Shift dress? From the description below a sheath dress is more fitted than a shift dress.
    In fashion, a sheath dress is a fitted, straight cut dress, often nipped at the waistline with no waist seam. When constructing the dress, the bodice and skirt are joined together by combining the skirt darts into one dart; this aligns the skirt darts with the bodice waist dart/QUOTE]

^^^^ From Wikipedia
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport