Update from Lynzpower

Options
Edit- just found my original thread :)http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=154934

Sorry to steal your thunder Scottish Spendaholic, but Ive been thinking about how I dont have one of these mini-blogs and it might help my motivation, which is well on the wane at the mo. As I have some time, Im going to start from the beginning as best as I can, and just use this as a blog as from now.

I came here in March, when my lightbulb was on full beam.

Since my arrival - I have:
cancelled my lovefilm subs & done some quidco tarting( saving 15 a month)
cancelled some ridiculous BT call package we never used ( 17 a month)
bought a digi box (21)
cancelled my mobile phone insurance (5 a month)
got a 0% card from egg & cleared remaining balances on 2 other cards & closed
Started the grocery challenge ( from 75 a week to 25 a week)
Started my claims for bank charges (157 back from one, about to claim for 1175 from Lloyds)
Got Primus 2 as my call carrier for free.
OPened a joint saving account ( currently with 100 in it)
Bought some premium bonds with OH from some money we got for our engagement (100)
Done a car boot sale ( raising 160)
Sold 3 books on green metropolis so far (11.50)
Madly started with quidco ( about a £100 tracking)
Carried on with my yougov surveys ( about £25 in there, slow though)
Sold loads of stuff on ebay ( circa £300)
Got a lodger again, bringing in 500 pcm.
Overpaying my remaining barclaycard at balance is about 300 now, not long to go..
Got OH to set up DD for the money he owes me at a fiver a week direct to my CC.
Cancelled the text plans off my mobile ( saving 15 a month)
Changed my electricity supplier to Ecotricity, which seems to be half what I paid with Npower :beer: and nice & green too!
Changing my bank to A&L
( any more suggestions of money saving greatly recieved, of course ;) )

As some of you may have read yesterday, we have had some bad news about my health, thought a lot of stuff through, and we have decided to sell the flat and rent for a while. We will probably put the flat on the market in August. She says. If all the sums we've done stack up we should have 20k in the bank of equity, then save about 420 a month in mortgage payments/insurances/ assurance etc. We then will use our growing equity to put down a bigger deposit when we eventually choose to buy again. This seems like the best plan all round, and we are very keen on this. Now need to get the money together for the moving, my lodgers income should cover it...

Losing momentum recently like SS, and a few others, nipping to the shop and buying the loaf & spending £8. All going a bit wrong in that dept.

But the budget is holding up for now. I have been within my overdraft twice since March, which is unheard of for me, I am getting there!!!

I dont have a DFD, as I started to have one, based on the lodgers income, but as we dont know how long we will be living here nbow the date is moving right back. It could have been october, but Im thinking now its more likely to be march. But thats still OK. Ha! A few short weeks ago having a debt free date was something Id never even conceptualised- it all seemed so impossible. Everything apart from the last 300 on my b/card & my student loans is 0%... happy times.

Todays tasks:
Check bank accounts
Call bank & ask them to deliver my card to the flat as Im off work
See if I can list the 2 new things on ebay Ive photographed but cant get the camera to work
Do filing
Write cheque for the electricity bill.
Scrabble around to see if Ive got the cash for the moneyclaim on my 0% card. I hope I do :o
Call up everyone & tell them Ive changed my bank account as of the 20th of next month.
take to post office book sold on GM
Post on here idly all day ( most achievable :))

Cheers for getting to the end of this, its really for me more than anyone else to keep track of my achievements, however small

Also to add, thanking each and everyone of you for your harsh but fair words, and your encouragement in tough times. Thanks to all for giving me my financial life back, and enabling me to take control YOU ARE ALL STARS :T

Lynz
x
:beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:

Comments

• Annie_Fanny
    Annie_Fanny Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Lynzpower

Lynzpower you are making huge strides towards becoming debt free - you are amazing and such an inspiration. You always have buckets of good advice too - thanks for your pm's. AGAIN (I keep saying this at the moment) take stock, truly take in what you have achieved and give yourself a pat on the back!

A little heads up here. Have you opened a first direct account - they give you £50 if you sign up! http://www.firstdirect.com/bankaccount/bank_account.shtml

And don't forget your name 'Lynzpower' - that's P - O - W - E - R POWER!! (said teenage mutant ninja turtle stylee!)

You can do it!

Annie
    "Debt makes plans for you" - A quote from my friend Catherine. How true!
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Lynzpower.

You are doing really well, especially if you have just received some bad news!! It does just go to show that you never know what's around the corner & being MS helps because it means that when something unexpected is thrown in your path, you CAN deal with it. Your health is more important - you will reach your DFD soon enough, but if its put back by just a few months what does it matter!!

You do give fab advice to everyone on here & I love reading your posts too!!

Take care of yourself - things will work out, just dont be too hard on yourself!! :T :T :T
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    :j Another great post Lynzpower!
    I think that you are doing fantastically well
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep we opened the first direct account for our savings, although we are not putting our salaries in it ( far too messy) so they wont give us the £50, although we did get £45 tracked from quidco for doing it so aint all bad news :)

"In a flat far far away, Lynzpower plots her revenge against the companies she was too dumb to realise have been exploiting her for so many years, raises her pen to the sky and proclaims "I shall take on this debt & wipe the floor with it mwahahahahaha"

Dont worry bout me I can still smile, I might be ill, but Im not dead, and while theres fight in me, I will fight!!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • Annie_Fanny
    Annie_Fanny Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    Options
    lynzpower wrote:
    Yep we opened the first direct account for our savings, although we are not putting our salaries in it ( far too messy) so they wont give us the £50, although we did get £45 tracked from quidco for doing it so aint all bad news :)

"In a flat far far away, Lynzpower plots her revenge against the companies she was too dumb to realise have been exploiting her for so many years, raises her pen to the sky and proclaims "I shall take on this debt & wipe the floor with it mwahahahahaha"

Dont worry bout me I can still smile, I might be ill, but Im not dead, and while theres fight in me, I will fight!!

:rotfl: That's the spirit!
    "Debt makes plans for you" - A quote from my friend Catherine. How true!
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    What's a mini blog?
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • Imelda
    Imelda Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi lynzpower,

wow, you have done loads!! Well done! I am sorry to hear about the bad news regarding your health, I hope you're ok.

A couple of things:
    1. First Direct- do you have to pay your salary in? I have opened an account and I am going to pay my salary in there but I am sure that I saw on the T&Cs that to qualify you had to have £500 in your account on 31/05/06. FD messed my form up so I didn't have time to change my bank details with work so my salary isn't going in there this month. Maybe worth checking.
    2. ecotricity- I have never heard of them, do they cover all areas? I am in SE London. I am trying to do my bit too!
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep, ecotricity is nationwide.

I found out yesterday you can give £15 to the green party by going through this link http://www.greenparty.org.uk/services

Or directly if you didnt want to donate to the green party https://www.ecotricity.co.uk

AFAIK they cover all areas, Im in east london and it wasnt even questioned, so I guess it is.

TBH the 1st direct has been nothing but a naff around for us. And the amount of leaflets & pointless paperwork is a big :mad: for me. The interest rate is pants as well. We just wanted the free money, but we will be closing it fairly soon, there isnt much point to be honest.

At PP, blog , is like an online diary, I think i shgould take the word mini out, i expect this will be epic!
    This Ive come to know...
  • owessomuch
    owessomuch Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Just want to say well done Lynzpower. I always look out for your posts as they always make me smile. You are a very inspiring person and I wish you the best of luck x
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Where would I do a blog lynz?
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure