Martins View On Using Mortgage Brokers...

Options

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cecmfs wrote: »
    There are numerous post on the site, but I will back up with exact usernames if that is what is required, stating go see a broker then go direct to the lender. There was also one 2/3 weeks back with a FTB with a 20% deposit who a retired adviser or broker told to get a BTL on, again when i have time i will search through the forum for this (is it just me or it always slow?).

TLDR.

But, then again, that appears to be your approach to this site given the quote above.

Did your company get slated on here for something and you felt obliged to join because of it?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • cecmfs
    cecmfs Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    TLDR.

But, then again, that appears to be your approach to this site given the quote above.

Did your company get slated on here for something and you felt obliged to join because of it?

On the contrary, as previously mentioned I initially registered to do try to help a few people in my spare time when I had the chance. My company has never been mentioned on the website, even though I would assume the vast majority of our clients are aware of it. As a matter of fact my firm has never had a complaint upheld against it in the 8 years we have been in operation, which we are naturally proud of.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • rana99
    Options
    Some mortgage advisors (doesnt matter if they are tied, multi-tied, whole of market or independent) will charge a fee on top of the arrangement of the mortgage. That is the bit that Martin is telling you to avoid (at least how I read it anyway)

Some transactions will be cheaper on fee basis than commission. Although this is probably more common on investment class business than mortgages. Larger mortgages or difficult lending cases are probably cheaper on fee basis than commission.
  • Ian_Griffiths_Halifax
    Options
    rana99 wrote: »
    Some mortgage advisors (doesnt matter if they are tied, multi-tied, whole of market or independent) will charge a fee on top of the arrangement of the mortgage. That is the bit that Martin is telling you to avoid (at least how I read it anyway)

Some transactions will be cheaper on fee basis than commission. Although this is probably more common on investment class business than mortgages. Larger mortgages or difficult lending cases are probably cheaper on fee basis than commission.

And Martin Lewis didn't warn his 'followers' about the problems at Icesave. What does that tell you about the quality of his [STRIKE]advice[/STRIKE] opinion?
    I am a Mortgage Consultant and don't like to be told what I can and can't put in a signature so long as it's legal and truthful.
  • PrincessMoney
    Options
    Martin,
    If an advisor is TRUELY independent they will charge a standard fee (I'm not talking the earth)as NOT ALL lenders pay commission therefore charging a standard fee upfront avoids any advisors selling the products they get the biggest commission from.

Please stop telling your viewers on TV that ALL mortgage lenders pay commission to brokers as this is false.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Commission based - no fee,
    Commission based - fee
    Fee based with rebate of commission

there is no right or wrong way- its whats suits you and the broker , I would look more at whether the charges ( commission is a charge really) are fair value for the service you get ( assuming this is not spam !)- examples may include where you get face to face advice, choice of lenders ( do they include non-commission deals as well), quality of service - explaining all options, the type of advice offered on any connected insurance
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • brianabbott
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Hi,

As its often debated here 'to broker or not to broker' I thought I would briefly lay out my thoughts.

"The right broker is a big benefit. Far better to go to a broker than direct to one lender who will simply try and flog you their own mortgage. They will look after the market and possibly bring you better negotiating power Overall I'm a broker fan!"

Of course there are ifs and buts. The two key questions to ask a broker are

"are you whole of market?"

and

"do you charge a fee?".

If the answers are yes and no then... whey hey hey... we're off to a good start. If the answer is anything else I would seek another broker.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please read the relevant articles
    Remember this is the Chat Forum, its for discussion by lots of parties. However the main information on this site is in the articles section. Please do read those before getting involved in discussions which will often get very technical.
    The two most relevant for this are "Get top mortgage advice for free article" or even better, its included in the free 28 page MoneySavingExpert guide to remortgaging available as printed guide or download a PDF (or read more)
    What about the brokers answering questions on here?
    First of all say thank you. Many of them do a great job without renumeration for it. It's a great place to ask. Of course its always worth remembering just because someone says they are a broker doesn't mean they are, however, the vast majority on here are genuine and want to help.
    Can they generate business from here?
    Touting for business is strictly forbidden. However if someone helps you out, and you feel they can help you, if you approach one of the mortgage brokers on the site I've no problem with them helping you.
    Do check out the "whole of market" and "fees free" notes above to make sure they are right for you though. And double check they are genuine, ask to see their creditials and that they're authorised by the regulator, the FSA.
    Hope this helps
    Martin

Martin,

Hello, I am new to this site. I wanted to contact you regarding Asda's little tricks, but I couldn't find where to post it and got somewhat distracted.

I am a mortgage broker and offer a whole of market service. As you are probably aware, the market has been decimated and consequently, so has my profession.

Are you aware of how little the mortgage lenders pay us? I am doing a mortgage tomorow, it happens to be for £40000. I will get paid £175 for that (because a minimum payment from the lender kicks in - not all lenders do that). I will no doubt spend 2.5 hours with the client doing what is called a Factfind, explaining how things work and discussing aims and views etc.

I will then need to provide illustrations after having done research and then I will need to submit a mortgage application after discussing it with the client again. I will then need to do more paperwork to explain to the client in writing why he chose the mortgage he is applying for.

I will then need to keep track of the case, liaising with the client, the lender and his conveyancer.

I can't always sell ancillary products like life cover and general insurance.

I haven't even mentioned the expenses in running a business as a self-employed broker. My professional fee cost is £300 per month before I start counting the other expenses.

I have come across clients where they tried to do things themselves and they can get it spectacularly wrong and overlook key necessities or they buy the wrong product. I know many pitfalls that clients should be made aware of and can save them heartache. Their fee would be well spent.

You have done a lot of good in many areas, but you infuriate me when you encourage people to seek out non-fee charging mortgage brokers. They are not necessarily going to get the best advice. I also think that those brokers are degrading their status. I have lost count of how many times I have had to take exams. We are qualified professionals. We are policed to the hilt. We have to jump through hoops for the FSA due to cowboys in the industry.

We are not raking it in, we are surviving.

I do a good job for my clients, so I have no compunction in charging a fee. £175 in the example above is not even subsistence, therefore I will continue to charge fees.

It's the big boys you need to target, i.e. the lenders. I am doing a mortgage next week where the lender is charging a 3.5% fee to the client, in other words nearly £4000! They are getting away with murder on fees. Please target them. They, the lenders, have been taking risks, relaxing criteria over the years, taking on high risk clients, lending more than they should have, solely due to their desire to make more and more profits. However, it all came back in their face and the taxpayers had to bail them out. Now they are not lending to us like they used to. The ones that they do lend to are charged a fortune. The ones lucky enough to get a low interest rate, will, a lot of the time, get charged high fees.

So please Martin, turn the heat up on them a bit and don't stick the boot into us.

Regards,

Brian
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting.

We might be surviving, but not all of us have 0844 numbers to fleece our clients with and make a bit of cash of them ringing us. ;)
  • Ian_Griffiths_Halifax
    Options
    I've stopped posting on here as you get a mixture of either idiot brokers who slag others off for charging fees, idiot posters who slag you off when giving advice even though you come on here giving up your time for free, or people who obviously know very little about mortgages, but their opinion is the right and only one.

It's not worth the hassle of coming on here and trying to help people, especially when you're doing it for free.
    I am a Mortgage Consultant and don't like to be told what I can and can't put in a signature so long as it's legal and truthful.
  • almond123
    Options
    I fell into the hands of an unscrupulous company and now they are taking me to court. There are a lot of other victims of this company - Homebank - we need to be heard quickly! Is there anyone out there who is battling with Homebank?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback