removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?

Options

Comments

• wallofbeans
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    as said, the one hanging off the wall is the master socket.

Yes BT / OR may come and replace this, although it would be a bigger box and stick out further, so you need to decide what exactly tidy is in your definition.

i.e just screw it to the wall and it would be tidy.

and would a bigger box that sticks out further be ugly?

The red wire appears to go upstairs, maybe to the bedroom socket.

I don't care if it sticks out more as long as it's not hanging off the wall. And then I can use it as the master socket and plug in phone and broadband to that and remove the one further down the same wall that I'm currently using for phone and broadband.

I'm not sure where that red wire goes. It doesn't go to the back bedroom as I can track that wire from the right hand side of the master socket, all the way up the stairs and around the wall of the back bedroom to the socket.

The front bedroom has a socket as well (but it doesn't work) and I'm not sure that is connected to the red wire either..

The socket in the kitchen also has two wires, I can see where one is coming from, but not the other. This could also lead upstairs. It's very confusing and such a mess!
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Any wiring before the master socket is solely the responsibility of Openreach (OR).

Looking at your photos, it is apparent that the wiring has 'evolved' over many years.

If you can get OR in to just replace your master socket, then you can remove any other wiring yourself, as it should then be dead.

It would be useful if you are present when they do the work, as you can quite often 'shame' the engineer into tidying up their mess.

I think you're right. It has clearly evolved over many years! This is an old house so I'm guessing it's always just been added to and never sorted out or replaced.

Can I get BT/OR to replace the master socket for free?

And how much tidying do you think I could get them to do?
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    Your master socket is the one with the ring capacitor and spark gap on the PCB, which looks like the one hanging off the wall.

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

So everything up to and including that point is BT/OR responsibility?

So they should sort out the dodgy box above the front door with some dead wires in it that head off into the wall and to who knows where...
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Should I open the "master socket" (hanging off the wall) and see what situation inside it is?
  • wallofbeans
    Options

That's a chunky ugly thing. I assume BT won't dig a hole and fit a nice pretty master socket set back into the wall? Like a proper grown up house has?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 12:00PM
    Options
    I did point out that they were ugly and stuck out.

Which is why, just screwing the old one back on is better.

The only advantage is you don't have a filter for broadband hanging out.

No point opening the master socket. It's clear from the rear what is inside

You could fit a metal back box yourself, (16mm one) but they still stick out loads, and doing that around your main cable isn't a great idea.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 12:07PM
    Options
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    I did point out that they were ugly and stuck out.

Which is why, just screwing the old one back on is better.

The only advantage is you don't have a filter for broadband hanging out.

No point opening the master socket. It's clear from the rear what is inside

You could fit a metal back box yourself, (16mm one) but they still stick out loads, and doing that around your main cable isn't a great idea.

I don't think I can use the one that is there. I need to replace it with something more sturdy and screwed to the wall at least, not glued like this small crappy bit of flimsy plastic one was.

I'll steer clear of a metal one though... I guess the best plastic one is the way to go...

Does this mean that BT/OR won't sort this for free? If they wont then I'm sure I can do it for a lot cheaper than they'll charge...
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    I assume this also means that if the hanging off the way one is the master socket then I can disconnect the other one further down the wall entirely, and every other socket in the house.. without worry?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure