removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• wallofbeans
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Yes. Use the top ab on there own with the wire Thru the wall.

And 235 for the wire out the side

Photo of the master socket sections to help clarify...
    https://imgur.com/a/a2QyK
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Use Ab1 for the wires Thru the wall
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2017 at 9:53PM
    Options
    I think a way to 'clarify' the wiring of the master socket is to consider what it is the 2 part master socket is designed to do....the removable 'consumer' panel is the demarcation point between what OR are responsible for , and what you, the consumer, is responsible for.
    Older NTE5 master sockets had screw terminals for A and B, this is the 'line' from the exchange and effectively makes the 'test port' active, it would appear that new NTE5's have IDC, insulation displacement connections, not screw terminals .

If the wiring to your extensions is connected to the consumer panel, when the socket is disassembled , the extension wiring and sockets are disconnected from the line , you can only access the test port by disassembling the socket, so plugging into the test port effectively removes extensions/wiring from the 'line', when the socket is assembled, the consumer panel is 'live' and any extension wiring and sockets connected to the consumer panel also become 'live'
    If a fault developed on an extension , or the extension wiring by removing the consumer panel, that 'fault' is removed from the line, this enables you to localise problems yourself to the 'line' or the 'extensions' so if your line stopped working, your provider asks you to check in the test port, if the line is OK there, then the fault is on your own wiring, if the line still doesn't work at the test port, the chances are the fault is on what OR or your CP is responsible for.

You connect the line from outside to the AB connections that are on the socket back panel, not the removable consumer panel, this will make the test port 'live'...connect your extension wiring to the IDC's on the consumer panel '2' and '5' , your extensions will only work when the consumer panel is 'plugged in'
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Use Ab1 for the wires Thru the wall

Agreed. I didn't know it had 2 lots of A & B connections.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    I still don't know why there is a need for a second set of A & B ports...

BUT it's done and it works!
    I rewired the master and it is secure, wiring very tidy and working perfectly. I then removed the excess extensions going upstairs and apart from some filler and painting I now need to do... All is good!

Thank you so much for all your help with this! I now have a reasonable level understanding of this and I'm sure it will be helpful again in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure