PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

rent out property for 6 months whilst selling or sell empty?

wondering if i should get a tenant in for the winter months or not? while still marketing the property. do houses sell all year round in your experience or does it drop in the winter to nothing?

what i dont want to do is sit with the mortgage payments and council tax until maybe March next year if it isnt going to sell.

i would take it off the market to be honest but the agent had put a clause in the sales contract that says if i take it off the market at any point they can charge me £95+vat. so ive said well leave it on.

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    And what makes you think that your tenant will leave after 6 months?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    logan5 wrote: »
    wondering if i should get a tenant in for the winter months or not? while still marketing the property. do houses sell all year round in your experience or does it drop in the winter to nothing?

what i dont want to do is sit with the mortgage payments and council tax until maybe March next year if it isnt going to sell.

i would take it off the market to be honest but the agent had put a clause in the sales contract that says if i take it off the market at any point they can charge me £95+vat. so ive said well leave it on.

Would you want to rent a place where the landlord expected you to accommodate viewings from day 1? You're trying to have your cake and eat it, treating the tenant are no more than a glorified house sitter whilst they pay for the privilege.

A tenant in-situ will also put a lot of buyer off and it will take longer to sell as you will need to offer vacant possession unless you are able to sell to someone looking for a BTL investment.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    wondering if i should get a tenant in for the winter months or not? while still marketing the property. do houses sell all year round in your experience or does it drop in the winter to nothing? - Are you offering a reduced rent? Are you sure they'd leave after 6 months? Have you ever been a landlord??

what i dont want to do is sit with the mortgage payments and council tax until maybe March next year if it isnt going to sell. - Then reduce the price

For the sake of less than £120?! This must be a windup
  • It's a huge risk for very little gain.

If you cannot get your tennant out then you risk the chain.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • logan5
    logan5 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have dropped the price several times. 2 agents valued it at £127500 in March. Then in September dropped to £124950. Now at £119950.

Had an offer in May I think at £120k. Rejected.
    Had another offer today at £115. Rejected.

2 similar properties sold this year for £124-127

Being told by the agent it's Brexit. Sounds like BS to me.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have dropped the price several times. 2 agents valued it at £127500 in March. Then in September dropped to £124950. Now at £119950.

im confused do you not want to sell?
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you get a tenant who doesn't want to move it could take you months to get them out, are you prepared for that?
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds like you should of sold in May but at least you have a close offer now......I would call them back up and accept it or keep it vacant and visit the property regularly and chase the other £4950.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

100k sounds like reality to me after Brexit, maybe less, hard to really say though without a link, best to take the best offer you can get now IMO.
  • If you have it marketed at £119,950 then an offer at £115 is fair and I would have bitten their hand off, especially when you say you don't want to sit on mortgage and council tax payments. I think you are being abit silly holding out for sch a small difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure