PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

rent out property for 6 months whilst selling or sell empty?

Options

Comments

• logan5
    logan5 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you guys would sell your houses for less than they were valued at in 2007? When I discussed the price reduction it wasn’t the ea that suggested it, I did and the one before to try and get things moving. If an ea values it at £127500 I’d expect maybe 123-125. Not getting chancers at 115. I agreed to drop it to 119950 offers in excess of, as some agents put it. The agent didn’t think this tactic worked, so I said well we need that amount then, he agreed and said they would work on viewers who were interested to get to the asking. Now they bother me with 115.

Another seller I know on the same estate has just taken his off the market for the winter, he had his up for 120 o.i.e and had an offer of 121 which he rejected, due to 2 other houses nearby getting 124 and 127.
  • logan5
    edited 22 October 2018 at 10:01PM
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Sounds like you should of sold in May but at least you have a close offer now......I would call them back up and accept it or keep it vacant and visit the property regularly and chase the other £4950.

Yes if I’d know the tenant was serious about moving I probably would have taken that offer, but she didn’t let on until I got the notice letter giving me 3 weeks notice.
  • logan5
    Options
    P.s. I’ve been in regular contact with the ea and at no time have they suggested there was anything wrong with the property or price. They just blamed the hot weather for a slow month or two. Now it seems brexit is the cause. Maybe it will be the snow over winter.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A house, any house, is worth exactly what someone will pay for it.

Hold out of you want to, but you'll lose money in the meantime. And please, please, please do not become a landlord just because you can't think of a better idea.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Options
    logan5 wrote: »
    Yes if I’d know the tenant was serious about moving I probably would have taken that offer, but she didn’t let on until I got the notice letter giving me 3 weeks notice.
    Wyndham wrote: »
    A house, any house, is worth exactly what someone will pay for it.

Hold out of you want to, but you'll lose money in the meantime. And please, please, please do not become a landlord just because you can't think of a better idea.

Sounds to me as if the OP is already a LL at the property that is for sale.

If so, they could have made it clearer in their first post.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2018 at 8:47AM
    Options
    What a house was valued at in 2007 is irrelevant. It's what someone is willing to pay for it now that's important.

Let me get this straight, when you originally marketed the property there was a tenant in-situ. You received a reasonable offer but you turned it down because you didn't know when the tenant was going to be leaving. I assume that you hadn't served notice when you started marketing the property? Now you are proposing to get another tenant in and continue marketing in property. What is they say about doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.....?

Do you know for certain that the two other houses nearby actually sold for £124k and £127k. Are they comparable to your property? If so I wonder why buyer snapped up those houses and not yours.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So you guys would sell your houses for less than they were valued at in 2007? When I discussed the price reduction it wasn’t the ea that suggested it, I did and the one before to try and get things moving. If an ea values it at £127500 I’d expect maybe 123-125. Not getting chancers at 115. I agreed to drop it to 119950 offers in excess of, as some agents put it. The agent didn’t think this tactic worked, so I said well we need that amount then, he agreed and said they would work on viewers who were interested to get to the asking. Now they bother me with 115.

Another seller I know on the same estate has just taken his off the market for the winter, he had his up for 120 o.i.e and had an offer of 121 which he rejected, due to 2 other houses nearby getting 124 and 127.

There's no law that house prices always increase.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you guys would sell your houses for less than they were valued at in 2007? - Well no, but then you want to sell. so.... When I discussed the price reduction it wasn’t the ea that suggested it, I did and the one before to try and get things moving. If an ea values it at £127500 I’d expect maybe 123-125. Not getting chancers at 115. - if an ea values it, I'd do my own research I agreed to drop it to 119950 offers in excess of, as some agents put it. The agent didn’t think this tactic worked, so I said well we need that amount then, he agreed and said they would work on viewers who were interested to get to the asking. Now they bother me with 115.

There could be a number of reasons why they're getting 3 or 6k more.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Sounds to me as if the OP is already a LL at the property that is for sale.

If so, they could have made it clearer in their first post.

He is a landlord...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5905888

The property will sell at the right time and price - as its interest only you will want to sell sooner rather than holding out for the highest price due to the running costs.....or put another tenant in it and sell it in a couple of years after the BS has stopped smelling the market up.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So you guys would sell your houses for less than they were valued at in 2007?

Yes I would have too, I have no choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport