IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Request for popla refused despite quoting legislation, what to do now?

Options

Comments

• Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    A Gladstones attack it is then!
    Thanks
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    your court claim should be brought against MB , as THEY have failed to pay you
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    your court claim should be brought against MB , as THEY have failed to pay you

That's why I was a bit confused. The judge instructed that we receive the cheque by 4pm on 14th Feb. The cheque is dated 17th Feb. I'm wondering if the cheque was stopped because MB hadn't forwarded payment to GS? Either way this should have been a very straightforward process!
    Thanks
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A Gladstones attack it is then!
    Thanks

As pappa said it was MB who were the claimant

Priority is to find out why Gladstones paid you and stopped it
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's why I was a bit confused. The judge instructed that we receive the cheque by 4pm on 14th Feb. The cheque is dated 17th Feb. I'm wondering if the cheque was stopped because MB hadn't forwarded payment to GS? Either way this should have been a very straightforward process!
    Thanks

It had crossed my mind that maybe MB refused to pay Gladstones for their mish mash
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    1. Write to Gladstones copied to MB as initially suggested - set out what happened (court order, date passed, you received cheque x days late, you banked cheque, cheque bounced and bank advised you it had been stopped, nobody had forewarned you of this). Tell them they have 5 working days to pay or a warrant of execution will be applied for without further notice.
    2. Complain to the SRA if you haven't lost the will to live. Tell Gladstones you are going to do this. They should have notified you of whatever problem there was with the cheque. I'll post more about what to complain about later, I have a precedent letter which I'll need to fish out setting out all of Gladstones breaches in my case and they're bound to be similar/the same.

There's no other way to get your money I'm afraid. You'll get the costs back though - it'll cost them a huge amount of money because the bailiffs add their costs and interest and their costs are huge. There is no leeway with them, they simply turn up and seize goods if no money is forthcoming.

I don't see why you'd get in trouble going to the press. A defence to libel/defamation is that something is TRUE. If the newspaper thinks it is defamatory they won't run it. I think you should invite the paper to expose these people because there must be dozens like you who are caving in and paying.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Suggested letter to SRA spelling out their breaches (you could send a draft of this to Gladstones with the letter chasing the £10 - so they can see you are serious). I've simply copied and pasted from a letter I sent to Gladstones, you may need to amend this so it fits in with your complaint.

Just by way of background: the solicitors professional code of conduct is based on "Principles" and "indicative behaviours" and "outcomes" which show you have/haven't complied with the principles. It is an absolutely appallingly drafted code, drafted (IMHO) by a numpty with not very many brain cells. But there it is, nothing any of us can do about that.

You will need to add in some paragraph numbers to set this out properly.

You are a firm of solicitors and your fee earners are bound to comply with your own Professional Code of Conduct issued (and enforced) by the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority (SRA). The Code obliges you to abide by certain Principles, which include:
    1. uphold the rule of law and the proper administration of justice;
    The notes to Principle 1 state “You have obligations not only to clients but also to the court and to third parties with whom you have dealings on your clients' behalf - see, e.g., Chapter 5 (Your client and the court) and Chapter 11 (Relations with third parties) of the Code.”
    2. act with integrity;
    The notes to Principle 2 state “Personal integrity is central to your role as the client's trusted adviser and should characterise all your professional dealings with clients, the court, other lawyers and the public.”
    3. n/a
    4. n/a
    5. provide a proper standard of service to your clients;
    The notes to Principle 5 state that “You should, e.g., provide a proper standard of client care and of work. This would include exercising competence, skill and diligence, and taking into account the individual needs and circumstances of each client.” And “For a solicitor, meeting the competencies set out in the Competence Statement forms an integral part of the requirement to provide a proper standard of service.”

Underlying the Principles are various “Outcomes” and “Indicative Behaviours”.

Outcome 5.6 states that you must “comply with your duties to the court”. I am sure that this includes complying with the CPR, which you have failed to do [include examples of most serious breaches]. Your breaches are so fundamental that you must have knowingly committed them – you are therefore in breach of Principle 1, 2 and 5.

Indicative Behaviour 5.7 states that acting in the following way would be breach of the Professional Rules: “constructing facts supporting your client's case or drafting any documents relating to any proceedings containing (a)any contention which you do not consider to be properly arguable;”. You must have known that the case set out in the particulars of claim was not properly arguable [in my letter I gave examples of where other courts had thrown out Gladstones incoherent particulars of claim to illustrate this - if you want my list let me know and I'll post it. In your case you might also want to add other things such as the false photographs, but you'd need to show that Gladstones should have known or knew they were fabricated]. This also puts you in breach of Principles 1,2 and 5 of your Professional Rules of Conduct.

Outcome 11.1 provides that you must not “take unfair advantage of third parties in either your professional or personal capacity” and Indicative Behaviour 11.7 says that it would be a breach of this if you were to take “unfair advantage of an opposing party's lack of legal knowledge where they have not instructed a lawyer”. You are again in breach of your Professional Code of Conduct (this time Principle 2).

It is a serious matter to have issued a Claim Form containing such woefully deficient particulars, and to seek to take advantage of a litigant in person – a fact made infinitely more serious by the fact that you must know that they are deficient because of the cases I am aware of in which other courts have struck out identical claims which you have issued [ if you want a list of these I can give it to you].

Another breach of the same principle is your letters seeking to misrepresent the court rules and the strength of your client’s case.

And now to your latest breach: the fact that you sent me a cheque in respect of the costs order made on [date], which you then cancelled without any notice to me. I received no communication from you at all about this - the bank informed me that you had stopped it. This is a serious breach of principles 1 and 2.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Add principle 6 to the list 1-5:
    6. behave in a way that maintains the trust the public places in you and in the provision of legal services (I think cancelling the cheque without notice is a breach of this)

Also:
    Outcomes 5.1 and 5.2 provide that you must not attempt to deceive or knowingly or recklessly mislead the court, nor be complicit in another person doing so. [this relates to the fabricated evidence]; Indicative behaviour 5.1 provides that you must advise your clients to comply with court orders made against them, and advising them of the consequences of failing to comply. Indicative behaviour 5.5 provides that you must refuse to continue acting for a client if you become aware they have committed perjury or misled the court, or attempted to mislead the court, in any material matter unless the client agrees to disclose the truth to the court. Indicative behaviour 5.7 illustrates a breach of the Principles - constructing facts supporting your client's case or drafting any documents relating to any proceedings containing:(a)any contention which you do not consider to be properly arguable

Hope this gives you enough to go on in putting together a complaint
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    Wow Loadsofchildren123, that's great thank you!
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Loadsofchildren123 Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2017 at 6:49PM
    Options
    I went out last night so it's a bit waffly but I hope you can extract the relevant info.
    The SRA code of conduct is the biggest load of tosh it beggars belief.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure