"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm another one who is nervous of mixing friends with business, but I can see the advantage of a project manager especially if you have more travel coming up.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    New broom for you! Sounds great :)

The critical illness cover *does* sound like a lot of money - could you cope if you didn't have it, and one of the eventualities it currently insures started to happen? Or could you get a lesser cover? Good to review it.
    I'm going to look into cancelling it. I've started looking for quotes for alternatives but frankly answering the questions is almost impossible! I can't remember all the dates etc that they want. And knowing insurance companies they'll come up with some reason not to pay...

I'm another one who is nervous of mixing friends with business, but I can see the advantage of a project manager especially if you have more travel coming up.

I thought I might get him to do the utility room (which my cousin did as a temporary fix 5 years ago and the builders stripped out when they did the floor) and see how it goes. Using my cousin to do stuff at the old house and here went pretty well, and this might work well as a test.

I've filled one an 3/4 garden waste bags clearing about 1/3 of the far bank of the stream. I really do need to have a go at the hedge (now it is tall enough I need to trim the top and get it to thicken up). The gap in it is starting to fill with the willow and wild roses I put into it, and the shrubs I planted in front of the gap seem to be doing well too (one was a self-seeded elder that I moved without much TLC). The hedge screens the garden (almost all of which is at the front) from the road and also filters exhausts fumes, so needs to be tall and thick. There are quite a few primroses, some snowdrops and quite a few daffs over there, and the odd wild orchid, but I think planting more shrubs in front of the mixed native section is probably wise. Not sure what to plant under/in front of the beech section. At the moment it's mostly ivy, with meadowsweet at the edge of the stream (which also helps with screening in the summer). Digging holes there is problematic as it's full of old tree and hedge roots, so I need bare root options, and do order in small batches so I get them in before they die...

Lunch next, then ironing so I can sort out at least one of the uninhabitable bedrooms and start doing more laundry in the nice clean washing machine!
  • greenbee
    Options
    Ironing done, and a lot of stuff moved out of one of the bedrooms. Mostly into the kitchen, but some into the bin and a bit for the CS.

I still can't quite work out how the furniture needs to go in this room. I could really do with fitting a wardrobe into it, but can't see where it would go as the room has odd proportions.

I've also got to work out where I can keep my suitcases. They used to go under beds which now have mattresses under them, and the don't fit under the other bed. Mine now has a divan so no room under there. I probably don't need them all, but need to make some decisions as my preferred 'big' suitcase (it isn't that big) is on it's last legs, so I need to work out which one to keep as a spare and then get rid of the rest. I've used them for storage for ages, but should be able to fit everything into chests of drawers.

Annoyingly the double room, which in theory should be habitable once the junk is redistributed, has developed a problem. There has always been cracking where the ceilings and walls join, and had previously been some cracks round the lintel but this had been dealt with. However, today I noticed that the curtain pole was wonky - there's a hairline crack from the ceiling to the top screw hole which obviously goes deep enough to enlarge the hole. I clearly need to check for any external cracks as it may just be internal movement, but if it is, it's in a very annoying location! The curtain pole has been up for over 4 years (it was up before the windows went in, and taken down and replaced when the room was redone). There are lots of cracks in this house, and I have no clue whether any of them are significant. As the builder has gone awol I'll have to find someone else to sort it out - but then again, as he was the one who dealt with it previously that's probably a good thing anyway! It's just annoying as I'd hoped to use the room (only spare double now) in the next week or so.

Two loads of laundry done, breakfast prepped. Office still a tip, but maybe I can count that as work! Must unload the machine, hang up the washing and stick another load in for the morning. I'm a bit apprehensive about going back to work, as I'm not sure all the changes are positive, but we'll see what happens when I log in tomorrow morning.
  • greenbee
    Options
    So what have I done in the week since I last updated...

Been for a nice long walk and pub lunch with friends. Arranged another one for this weekend (with the friends who I saw on NYE - the husband is going to have a look at the odds and ends that need doing and may quote for them so we'll see how that goes).

Lots of work in the garden. Lots of pottering indoors to get stuff put away (xmas decs are all down and packed up and back in boxes on the shelves in my office). Lots of plants ordered.... (it's a good time for bare root hedging and shrubs - at least that's my excuse!).

Greenhouse dismantled further and put into the trailer ready for collection (which is tonight). Just the glass to get out of the garage and possibly a few other bits to go depending on space.

Pilates started this week, so have done last night and this morning (teacher is off tomorrow).

Work has started to pick up, and I've got local travel for a couple of weeks (London next week, Dublin the following week) which will get me out of the house. I've arranged Pilates round the travel, so won't actually miss any classes. I've also started tentatively planning my conference speaking engagements for the year, although I could do with some input from my boss - however as she's had to hit the ground running on a lot of other stuff I'm not worrying too much. I'll just go ahead with what I want to do and if she doesn't like it deal with that afterwards. She needs to let me know what I am/am not empowered to do myself as I can't be doing with having to ask permission for everything.

Robot hoover is still making me happy. Cleaner less so - she's less and less reliable (texted yesterday evening about coming today) and as far as I can tell rather less effective than she was. But I guess it's better than having to do it myself, and it means that I can keep on top of the rest.

Not being very successful at fitting in walks during the week. I suspect running may have to go back to C25K when the dentist gives me the all clear to exercise again as it has been so long. But as I have all the kit I need to get out and do it. Eating is starting to get back to normal so I need to make sure I cut out the ice cream!

Lots of veg in the house so I've cancelled this week's veg box and am going to use up what's here. I'm still going to make lots of soup as it's really handy for work lunches.
  • greenbee
    Options
    Another long break without posting...

Dentist has given me the all clear. Not entirely happy with the results but hopes they are good enough. So back in 6 months, have to cancel my hygienist appointment as they new tissue is far too fragile to let anyone near it. I've been eating fairly normally when out to avoid issues for other people, and it is a little sore at times. I start travel again this week, so that brings it's own challenges.

I have cheques to pay in to the bank - I really do need to pay them in rather than walking round with them in my purse. Plus I need cash, so I need to sort that out tomorrow rather than remembering when I get on a plane on Tuesday!

Last weekend involved two long walks (5 miles and 8 miles) with two different lots of friends. Most importantly, one of them is someone who can come and do a whole lot of odd jobs for me and may then do the utility room and possibly even the kitchen. We're going to start with the odd jobs (next week, between trips) and see how we get on. It's a day rate plus materials which he'll source and provide receipts for.

It'll be such a relief to have some of this stuff done.

Last week was chaos... I'd booked a couple of days in London for a conference (free) as I didn't have much on, and had hoped to use the pool/gym at the hotel. Failed to do that as I was tired, and then started getting emails from lots of people about stuff they needed urgently. So did one day at the conference, was too tired to use the gym/pool in the evening and eventually decided the following morning that I'd have to go home as I'd been dealing with work from 6am and at 9.30am needed to get dressed and check out of the hotel!

So not enough exercise, not great on the food front, and very little progress in the house or garden.

My mum has been staying this weekend, so we've had a couple of decent walks, seen my brother, his wife and the kids twice and I managed an hour in the garden (garden waste has been collected, so I need to fill it back up again! I have a rough plan of what I need to to next, and quite a few plants have been delivered so I also have my priorities worked out.

I've got quite a bit of travel coming up, mostly short trips. I'd forgotten how disruptive they are, but it should help kickstart some productivity at work and stop me feeling that i'm not really doing much.

I need to cancel this week's veg box as there is plenty in the fridge, and also think about running down the contents of the freezers over the rest of the winter. I have plenty of soup, and won't be around a huge amount.

We're also planning a family holiday for my mum's 80th. She's offered to pay for it, but it'll be expensive, so I'm going to use my Avios to pay for flights, and have suggested that as a family we make an effort to collect more Avios between now and the holiday as they can be used to pay for car hire etc. I also need to try to hang on to my BA Gold status... we may all be travelling economy but at least we'll be able to use the first class check in and lounges :)

As far as my own finances go I want to try to fund as much as possible of the rest of the work on the house from cashflow, and once the kitchen is in I'll start saving, OPing and increasing my pension contributions. I queried my pension info the other day as it appears that they've been been underpaying the employer contribution element - they're going to sort that out this month apparently.

I really MUST start running again. I have all the kit, after all!
  • greenbee
    Options
    No running done, but did swim a couple of times while I was away last week.

Paid in cheques at last!

Managed some gardening in the rain yesterday and lots of laundry. Sun is shining today so windows are open to air the house while yet more laundry is done.

Work starts tomorrow on all the odds and ends - I've already had emails today asking questions so he can get all the bits he needs today (instead of disappearing in the middle of the day like the builders!), so I need to get on and clear up. I have said that tomorrow may involve some decision-making and measuring, and I'm fine with that.

New lampshades (Laura Ashely sale) arrived on Friday and they all fit/work, so that's another thing off the list.

Eating has been appalling and I need to focus on the veg in the fridge. I'm away again Wednesday to Thursday which in theory saves money, but not if I buy food and let it go off!

So I intend to do a bit more gardening today and then get everything ready for tomorrow (including my own work!).
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hi greenbee,

Have just read through the diary, wow, what a lot you have achieved! The job sounds very interesting, but does keep you busy! I am also very impressed by how much stuff you get done!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • greenbee
    Options
    Thanks Jodles... sometimes it can be frustrating as I don't feel like I'm achieving a huge amount. I moved in over 5 years ago and most of the time half the house is still uninhabitable!

However, today is going well.
      Utility room door is back on (not cleaned, not sanded or painted, and without handles or a latch, but back on and I can take the time between now and doing the utility room to see whether we've got it the right way round). Cracks have been filled in the spare room and the curtain pole is up again. I've been told it should be OK now, so once it has been painted and cleaned the room will be back in use Cause of watermarks on the sitting room ceiling has been identified - the bath overflow wasn't correctly fitted so water was going down the back of the bath instead of the overflow pipe

I've also got something nearly ready for publication, have booked the 5 days of leave I have to take off before March 31st and have found my snow boots.

It's a lovely sunny day, but bitterly cold. I've sat on my bum all day as a. I have back pain from gardening at the weekend, b. I need to stay indoors in case I'm needed for anything to do with the work being done and c. I really do need to get more of my own work done!
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Glad you sorted the overflow. We found out ours wasn't connected to anything when the dining room ceiling collapsed a few weeks after we moved in.
  • greenbee
    Options
    Fingers crossed it works... I was tempted to seal it up as I only really have showers in that bath! Hopefully there is no other leak there.

Kitchen and dining room are lovely and warm now the utility door is back on, even if it doesn't shut properly! Once the utility is done, and the radiator in (and possibly the back door replaced...) it'll be lovely.

Having said that the NW facing bedroom is icy having had the door shut today, and my office is cold under the desk! But then the front door has been open a lot with stuff going in and out.

I've been to pilates, so am feeling positive about having done something. Just need to come up with a title for my latest work of genius and get it published before I go to bed!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback