PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Still pretty warm down here and not much rain, which is a blessing as we have started work on our extension. Hoping weather holds off till all the ground work is done. Last couple of years winter has been mainly dry and mild, sods law that this year will be cold and wet.

Don't envy you with your weather Mardatha, don't mind snow if me and the fambo are safely tucked up in the house and staying put.x
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haha!

Looking at both your "locations" -you're not up the same hill!!

Take care Mardatha-sounds bad-although lovely to look at from a warm house.

Toozie x
    :j
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Its mild but we have had allot of rain and the ground is saturated. I walked over the footbridge into town this morning and the river is raging. It's a horrible dirty muddy brown colour and very fast flowing as well.

Unbelievably for December I have got four loads of washing out on the line at present and it is practically all dry :eek: due to a good gusty wind.

I don't think I can recall ever putting the washing out in December and getting it dry. I normally use the airers and tumble dryer!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the North West coast we are still in the middle of Desmond-gusts of up to 80mph.
    My friend 10 miles away has been evacuated to the sport centre because the moat round the castle has burst, and streets are flooding. Luckily we live on a hill.
    Never seen so much rain in my life in one go, we have a leak from the lounge window surround-first we saw of it this morning-because of the ferociousness of the wind and driving rain water has got in somewhere. So that's something to look at when it calms down.

At some points last night I thought the roof would come off, and that's unusual because we have a lot of wind anyway.

Nipped to buy a paper in the car-a journey of 2 mins this morning-always walk. I was soaked when I got back & had to change my jeans-and that was just running to two shops!

Seems my prepping has worked-no pots have flown out of the garden, bins are secure in a little "pen" with bricks on lids.
    After this mornings little dabble with rain- no need to go out until Monday.

Checked on my elderly neighbours next door by ringing them, they are fine, and well stocked up and battened down.

I am totally amazed we still have electric, as I had got the candles & touches ready earlier -going to do my Xmas cards now in case it goes off later.

Take care, old slates are falling off the Victorian terrace in the high street-that could be very, very nasty for someone walking by, and a bungalow round the corner has part of it's garden brick wall splattered on the pavement in a long heap.

xxx
    :j
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Been watching videos and seeing photos on fb of the Lake District, so sorry for many people living there. What has been touching is the amount of people living around there opening up their doors and offering people affected by the floods somewhere to sleep and stay for abit. Places are even offering shelter for pets as well. x
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I heard that 352mm of rain fell in Honister in 24 hours. If thats verified then it'll be a UK record!

My daughter is stuck in Barrow with her dad & his wife. They started heading home at 7pm last night, at 7.51 I got a text from my daughter saying they were stuck due to flooding. Fortunately they were able to turn around and go back to his parents, but I know a lot of other people weren't so lucky. Furness is basically cut off now, and the A590 isn't due to open until 6pm :eek: I've told my ex to not risk travelling back until given the all clear as there's so much rain

I've got various news feeds open waiting for updates. I know they'll be safe travelling as ex is a good driver, but its the other people on the roads (like the idiots moving the road closed & flood signs!) who don't take precautions or don't know how to drive in bad weather, and the unpredictability of mother nature I'm concerned about until they're all safe in their actual homes. :(
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Think there is very little moving around the border, so many roads closed with flooding, trees down and landslips. Last I heard even the trains were off, no cross-border trains at all.
  • Sylvan
    Sylvan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks as though we got off lightly.
    We lost the electricity on Friday and we've only just got it back. Turned on the heating straight away!!
    Several of the surrounding houses have big holes in their roofs but the worst we've suffered is some spilled wax, a cold house and a warm fridge.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
  • penni
    Options
    It snowed here in June 1976
  • Sylvan
    Sylvan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't know about 1976 but we had 3 inches of snow one day in June 1993. Typically it was the day the roofers had taken the old roof off...:eek:
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback