Does anyone have any feedback on Hastings Direct?

Options
I've just come to look at a car insurance quote from last week (previously £800), and now hastings has popped up with a quote of (£350).
I've not changed any info and on all previous quotes I've not noticed hastings. It seems too good to be true really.

Comments

• Abi6
    Abi6 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Honestly..... don't go there.
    I was car jacked in December and had no help from them at all. It took 8 weeks for them to pay out, I had a courtesy car for a week before they took it back. I complained about all of their 'mishaps' and received very little remorse so contacted the financial obudsman who settled it with compensation. 7 months on and my renewal is due, they have refused to renew my policy and I am awaiting a response. Absolutely awful!
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    I was with them for my car a couple of years back.

I went into it with no misconceptions that they are a top tier brand, I then had a small bump when with them and the claim service was as expected. I had to constantly chase, I had to raise a complaint over settlement however I did get the desired outcome.
  • Mabr
    Mabr Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I was with Hastings with my previous car which went on fire in the garage at home. I read awful reviews especially in relation to car fires but. although a bit slow, I was sorted out and received the full insured value of my car without any negotiation. I did have a very intense phone interview shortly after I made my claim but as it was all legitimate I just told the truth and it was fine - I assume this call is to vet out bogus claims. I can't criticise Hastings for how they handled my own psrticular claim.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They are terrible. Especially if you have an incident where liability is in dispute.
  • Sickfedup
    Options
    Terrible company, I have an ongoing complaint after being given terrible advice by one of their Live Chat staff and guess what, they conveniently cannot find the live chat to prove it, I have now resorted to the Ombudsman. During the whole episode, Hastings Direct were going through a system change over and it looks to me that they have either have lost important records which they should have kept safe, have inept staff or have chosen not to find them. They do not listen, they do not communicate with other departments the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. This is the worst company I have ever had to deal with, they have treated a loyal long running custmer shamefully.
  • Sickfedup
    Options
    A short version of a long story. Hastings Direct
    I have insured my car with this company for some time, I decided to add my stepson onto the insurance as a named driver, so I logged onto the portal to find out what I needed to do to add him.

I noticed that the portal only showed a cancelled car insurance policy form 8 months earlier, alarmed at the prospect of having been driving my car for 8 months without insurance I contacted Hasting Direct through their live chat and asked them to clarify the situation.

After chatting with their staff member I was told I did not have any insurance at all, I raised the question why have you been taking regular payments from my bank for the past 8 months, I was told that I should have cancelled the direct debit, I asked how I could retrieve the money I have been paying to them and their staff member told me to claim it back through the bank.

I immediately cancelled the direct debit and contacted the bank who through the Direct Debit Indemnity Scheme returned several hundred pounds to me within three days, at the same time I searched for a new policy to make sure I was not driving without insurance with another company.

A week later I received a bill for the money that I had claimed back plus a cancellation fee and an admin fee, I contacted Hastings Direct again through the live chat as it is much faster and after a very long conversation was told that they were in the process of changing the system over to a new system and there had in fact been a live policy that only showed on the new system which is why it didn't show on the portal as the new system was not live yet and that the advice I had been given was probably from a staff member not currently trained or able to access the new system resulting in incorrect advice and information being given to me.

I pointed out that I am now being billed for Admin and early cancellation and was told to send a copy of the new insurance which would put a stop to the letters and demands. I did as I was directed.

Emails, letters and phone calls and still no further on we are, it has now turned into a complete farce, I am now after refusing to pay ANY money to them dealing with a so-called senior customer relations representative.

She has told me that my claims are not true as there are no live chats relating to the account, I have demanded she investigate further and no matter what I have asked for she is looking for phone calls despite telling her no phone calls had been made because it was all done through live chat, she is searching for emails despite being repeatedly told it was all done through live chat, she has been searching on dates after the recharge was made for conversations that had taken place before the chargeback despite being given specific dates to search under and she is still telling me there are no records of any live chats.

I searched my browser history and gave all the dates of all the interactions and she still can't find any records of any live chats, I have requested a transcript of all the live chats and still to no avail.

To be honest I believe that they thought they would tell me they think I am not being truthful and I would just toddle off. But because I didn't, it looks as if they have done the least they possibly could in their investigation, they have obviously not investigated fully, I'm not sure if they are trying to be deliberately dense or if it is a case that the person I am dealing with is particularly inept but on this occasion I will not be going away quietly with my tail between my legs.

I have now contacted the Ombudsman they will investigate properly & if necessary I will take my complaint and demands the for the Live Chat Transcripts through the court system, I wonder how many other people have been having problems with Hastings Direct during their change over from the old system to the new system.

Hastings Direct has told me that they need evidence of the conversations, why would I keep a copy of the live chats, this is something Hastings Direct should have done, I needed evidence of a live policy which they didn't supply, the onus is on them to prove the alleged debt which they haven't done, it is also their responsibility to keep diligent records and to provide them within a dedicated time period as directed by the data protection act which they have not done. Hastings has made a mistake and for some reason, they are determined not to investigate my complaint correctly or to take responsibility for their actions.

I am currently looking forward to the Ombudsmans results, hopefully, they will have more luck and save me a visit to my local court to demand the transcripts.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ask Hastings for all of the data they have on you and in particular the live chats.

They are legally obliged to provide the data to you
  • MrsShazbat
    MrsShazbat Posts: 768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 March 2019 at 10:34PM
    Options
    I've been with Hastings Premier I think for the last 2 years now, having committed the cardinal sin of auto-renewing - last year through sheer laziness although my premium didn't go up very much, then 2 weeks ago on Wednesday I haggled down and renewed my Hastings Premier policy for a 3rd year. Never had any issues dealing with them over renewals, or any amendments to my policy (Santa brought me my own plates, etc).

Unfortunately, as bad luck would have it, that same day I renewed my policy I was involved in a non-fault accident on my way home from work. Due to technical issues with their phone lines - they couldn't hear the customer but the customer could hear them, and yet they were still taking calls - I couldn't register the claim straight away but sorted the renewal. The phone operator thing also directs you to use the 'My Account' facility on the website to register/track your claim but actually all this does (for me, at least) is go to a screen telling me to call the 24-hour claims line number - even on the Live Chat option. Bit annoying as I would much rather have done it this way than sit on the phone for 47 minutes sorting out my renewal, followed by another 53 minutes of sorting out the details of the claim and arranging my courtesy vehicle which is part of my policy. I received my very nice 68-plate courtesy car on the Friday, my own car was collected by the repairers a week ago today and all appeared to be going swimmingly. Until Wednesday last week, when the repairers called to say the car was uneconomical to repair and therefore being written off.

To their credit, initially the repairers are the only people who have contacted me directly on anything. I've had to do all the chasing with Hastings. Last Friday I was on the phone for half an hour en route to work, where I was told I would be allocated a claims handler by Monday. Friday afternoon I was contacted by the salvage company wanting to collect my car, even though at this point I hadn't been contacted by Hastings so had no idea - never having had an accident or had to claim before - what my options actually were. On Saturday I went to retrieve my belongings and plates, because I didn't trust them not to just turn up and take it! At lunchtime I rang to see whether I'd been allocated a claims handler and basically why they hadn't phoned. I spent a good chunk of my lunch on the phone trying to find out what was happening and what my options are. As it happens, the proposed pay-out is over and above what I was expecting, so that was good although it doesn't cover the outstanding balance of the bank loan I took out to buy the car, but whether I accept it as a write-off or salvage it, I'm getting more than expected. But still, it's me doing all the phoning and chasing. I'd like the engineer's report and/or to see what category they're classing it as in order to confirm whether or not I'm taking the full pay-out or getting the car back to be repaired by my usual garage. Again, an email from me to chase and more than likely another phone call tomorrow morning on my way to work.

In a nutshell, basic customer service is OK, but as soon as you need them for something they're pretty rubbish to get hold of and deal with. I suspect although they will pay off my insurance this year as part of my settlement (not optional apparently), I won't be with them this time next year!!
    SPCNo.17 #20 (16 £678; 15 £1120.92; 14 £416.53; 13 £191.52; 12 £260.48; 11 £480.95; 10 £682.31; 9 £442.64)
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thing is though is that you often only hear of the bad points. OH was with them for five years and in that time I contacted them about three or four times- twice when he changed his car, once when he paid off his direct debit and I think once about his renewal. Never had a single issue in the whole time he’s been with them.
    He’s gone over to Churchill now though.
    Can’t comment on claims but what I can comment on is that the frontline customer service team work very hard under huge pressure from above to give the best service they can!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    ........ I can comment on is that the frontline customer service team work very hard under huge pressure from above to give the best service they can!

How are you able to pass this comment (which is surprisingly contradictory to all others)?

You don't work for them do you??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure