Panasonic TX40EX700B

Options

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 March 2018 at 7:48PM
    Options
    I have the Samsung 6400 in my home office £429 from John Lewis.
    Can't fault it and it is generally considered the best 40" 4K on the market.
    Anyone who tells you that you can't notice the difference on a 40" showing 4K or upscaling, doesn't own one, has sight problems or is viewing it through the neighbours window.;)
    As with all TV's I don't recommend relying on the inbuilt speakers for a main unit. Even a cheap soundbar will improve any of them.

Differences between 6100 series and 6400
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    I have the Samsung 6400 in my home office £429 from John Lewis.
    Can't fault it and it is generally considered the best 40" 4K on the market.
    Anyone who tells you that you can't notice the difference on a 40" showing 4K or upscaling, doesn't own one, has sight problems or is viewing it through the neighbours window.;)
    As with all TV's I don't recommend relying on the inbuilt speakers for a main unit. Even a cheap soundbar will improve any of them.

Differences between 6100 series and 6400
    Nobody has said that but what has been stated, and scientifically backed up, is that there is a clear correlation between the size of screen and the distance you sit which will determine whether you can actually resolve the extra detail a 4K TV can put out.
  • RumRat
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Nobody has said that but what has been stated, and scientifically backed up, is that there is a clear correlation between the size of screen and the distance you sit which will determine whether you can actually resolve the extra detail a 4K TV can put out.

I didn't say that anyone on the thread had, but, I knew someone would be along with the size distance argument.
    I'll stand by my post, anyone who actually owns one will tell you that you can tell the difference when viewing 4K content.
    I view mine from about 7 feet away and that's 2 feet over the recommended distance. So much for science...:p.:)
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As an aside (or not maybe) is there any point in having 4K at just 40" screen size?

Edit: Genuine question as I don't have a clue.

For the resolution, unless you're sat no more than 4/5ft away then no. However if you get HDR as well then its worth it just for that.

For reference....this is based on the occular arc of the human eye.

resolution_chart.png
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 March 2018 at 6:14PM
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    I'll stand by my post, anyone who actually owns one will tell you that you can tell the difference when viewing 4K content.
    I view mine from about 7 feet away and that's 2 feet over the recommended distance. So much for science..
    ]
    Stand by your post enough to put £100 on it?

You probably can tell the difference between 1080p content and 4K content on the same TV but I doubt you could on a 1080p TV and a 4K one both calibrated to the same standard so they were displaying the same identical picture in reference to brightness, contrast and colour reproduction.

Somehow I doubt you have eyeballs different ot the rest of the human race which is what you'd need to actually see a difference based on resolution alone. Most of the time the difference is actually because of better contrast and colour reproduction over their old TV, not the 4K. And as I said much of the time it is actually because the 4K content is in HDR.

I don't scrimp on my TVs, I buy them based on picture quality and in particular contrast ratio and whether it is HDR or not. Consequently my recent TV history is a 42" 1080p Panasonic TXP42G20B Plasma, 55" 1080p LG 55EC930V OLED which I had professionally calibrated personally by Vincent Teoh which gives you an idea of how serious I take it and my current one is a 55" 4K LG 55B7V OLED which I was forced to end up with having accidentally cracked the screen on my 55EC930V and it no longer being available to buy.

Everyone who used to come to my house used to think my 55EC930V was a 4K TV because of the image quality and were surprised to find it wasn't. Watching 4K content on my current 4K OLED TV looks no different than 1080p content did on my 55EC930V. 1080p UPSCALED content on my 4K TV doesn't look as good as native 4K does because of the upscaling which tends to result in soft edges which didn't appear on my 1080p screen.

If you think it is all rubbish, "so much for science" and you can tell the difference between 10880p and 4K on a 40" TV at 7ft and the chart I posted above is utter rubbish then I challenge you to do this, film it whilst you're doing it and upload it to Youtube.

1) Get a blank sheet of A4, stick it on a wall. I would say to be really accurate and represent the real world to use a picture as you don't spend all day watching a completely blank white screen but I'll even skew this test massively in your favour by giving you a completely blank sheet of A4, that is how confident I am.
    2) Give someone a pencil or pen, give them instructions that when you leave the room to put the smallest dot they can on the sheet no bigger than half a millimetre then walk out the room so you can't see them whilst they make that dot.
    3) WHILST BEING FILMED start from the opposite side of the room and walk towards the paper try to find the dot. When you think you can see the dot guide the other person to point out where it is. When you've got it right then stand still and get the other person to measure the distance to your eye from the wall.
    Congratulations, you've just measured the distance you can get full benefit of 1080p on a 40" screen but not enough to get any benefit from 4K. The dot pitch on a 40" 1080p TV is 0.4612mm.sq, about the same as a pencil dot on paper. I've just done this with the missus and it was 76 inches which works out in line with that chart I posted.

The dot of a 40 inch 4K TV is 0.2306mm so if you want to do it for 4K on a 40 inch screen you need to replace the pencil mark with a pinprick from the smallest pin you can find or a dot from a very sharp pencil.
  • RumRat
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Stand by your post enough to put £100 on it?
    etc. etc etc.

You seem to be obsessed with this.
    Congratulations on spending so much of your life trying to get your picture perfect.
    You can call me a liar all you want, it won't make any difference. I found from experience, it's pointless entering into any debate with an obsessive. The posts just get longer and longer (as above).
    I'm glad you are happy with your TV and you win the bragging rights.
    :)
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just bought the SamsungUE40MU6120K from Richer Sounds £349 with 6 yr guarantee. Great picture and excellent sound. Remote control could be better (lacks logic). I studied Which? magazine before buying. (Anyone can try Which?magazine for £1 for a month- well worth it for large purchases)
    Nice to save.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,152 Forumite
    Options
    The_Biff wrote: »
    (Anyone can try Which?magazine for £1 for a month- well worth it for large purchases)
    It must've changed a lot then.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 March 2018 at 11:25AM
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    It must've changed a lot then.
    Not sure what you mean :huh:

I often start the Which trial for £1 when I'm looking to make a household purchase, it's been quite useful.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,152 Forumite
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean :huh:

I often start the Which trial for £1 when I'm looking to make a household purchase, it's been quite useful.
    I mean that after sporadic use of Which?, often using the free or cheap trials you mention, I have found it to be much less than "useful".
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure