The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• VestanPance
    VestanPance Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you'd starved yourself the previous day you wouldn't need to eat a thing to fuel a 9k run.
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Currently recovering from Week 3 Day 1! Those 3 minute runs were killers but I was determined to get through them and I did although on the second rotation I was pretty slow. Day 2 will hopefully be a bit easier.

Well done on the 9km lesley74 :T That's a great achievement and you definitely should be proud of yourself to have got through it even if weren't happy with the time (which sounds good to me!)

Hi 1940sGal, good to hear more success stories.
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you'd starved yourself the previous day you wouldn't need to eat a thing to fuel a 9k run.

I only do 5k and sure as hell need to eat beforehand no matter how much I've eaten the day before. If I don't eat I struggle to get round and get very lightheaded once I've finished. My husband on the other hand can run on an empty stomach.
  • Dustyblinds
    Dustyblinds Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    Currently recovering from Week 3 Day 1! Those 3 minute runs were killers but I was determined to get through them and I did although on the second rotation I was pretty slow. Day 2 will hopefully be a bit easier.

Well done on the 9km lesley74 :T That's a great achievement and you definitely should be proud of yourself to have got through it even if weren't happy with the time (which sounds good to me!)

Hi 1940sGal, good to hear more success stories.

Day 2 is a lot easier, believe me.
    Last night was day 1 of week 3 for me, surprisingly not as bad as I expected. Had to wait util after 7pm as it was really hot yesterday. Going to try to get out the same time tomorrow then do 3rd one on Sunday, these weeks are getting shorter :rotfl:
    Good luck with day 2!
  • VestanPance
    VestanPance Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    cottyh24 wrote: »
    I only do 5k and sure as hell need to eat beforehand no matter how much I've eaten the day before. If I don't eat I struggle to get round and get very lightheaded once I've finished. My husband on the other hand can run on an empty stomach.
    That's all in your head. You have more than enough fuel in your body to run for a couple of hours unless you've been starving yourself.
  • cottyh24
    edited 11 June 2015 at 11:36PM
    Options
    That's all in your head. You have more than enough fuel in your body to run for a couple of hours unless you've been starving yourself.

Not in my head at all. I'm just not one of those people who can go for ages without eating. I get a headache, feel sick and start to get very short tempered if I get too hungry and that's without adding exercise into the equation. If I run without eating first I find it harder and am lightheaded when I finish. I'm also starving the next day even if I eat well afterwards. If I eat before I'm much better - I may still struggle and find it hard - but I don't get lightheaded and not as hungry the next day. People are different, not everyone can go out and run without eating first even if they should be able to in theory. Things like medication can also affect appetite and hunger levels - I know mine does.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if there is any science to it, but I do know that I really did struggle for some reason and someone (a runner) told me it was lack of food. It was after noon when I finished the run, so not just like getting up at 9am and going. I won't be doing that again that's for sure. My legs felt like lead!!

Knees were sore the next day and a bit better the day after that. Fine now. Went for a short 3k jog this morning, was very slow, it was warm though.

Tomorrow I have parkrun, and on Sunday morning I have a local annual 5k. So that will total 22k this week which is quite respectable. :) Even if it is slow!!!
  • Dustyblinds
    Dustyblinds Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    I certainly couldn't do any form of excersise without haven't even just a light snack beforehand. If I'm going out first thing it would be a banana, cereal bar or yogurt.
    2nd day of week 4 completed last night, going to do the 3rd tomorrow morning if the weather is like today (cloudy -cool)
    Ds kindly informed me last night that the field I drag myself around is actually 1k!!!! I can not imagine myself running around it once never mind 5 times, but I'm determined to do my best ��

Dusty
  • cottyh24
    Options
    Very warm here toďay so only managed 3k (21min 55 seconds). I'm really not good at running in the heat - I start to get all hot and bothered. I usually dislike winter as it's so cold but I find that it's far easier to run in than the heat of summer.

I'm hoping for a brief cold spell on 5th July when I do Race for Life. Either that or I'll be running with ice packs strapped to me :)
  • 1940sGal
    1940sGal Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    Options
    cottyh24 wrote: »
    Very warm here toďay so only managed 3k (21min 55 seconds). I'm really not good at running in the heat - I start to get all hot and bothered. I usually dislike winter as it's so cold but I find that it's far easier to run in than the heat of summer.

I'm hoping for a brief cold spell on 5th July when I do Race for Life. Either that or I'll be running with ice packs strapped to me :)

I'm with you there. When it gets very hot in summer i have to run either early morning or late evening. I once ran around mid afternoon, 3ish, and it was so hot. Never again! I like to have a drive to a local NT property now. Loads of woodland and loads of shade to run through. Makes it perfect when the temp rises with the added bonus of it being just me and the birds :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure