The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cottyh24 wrote: »
    Well done one the mile race - if I remember that's quicker than your trial run. 7 minute miles though, :eek: that's pretty quick.

I can understand why you're worried about your husband. That must have been awful for both of you. Sounds like he's on the mend now but I'm sure that doesn't stop you worrying.

I started c25k early February and did the last session on 7th May so yes, I've not been running for very long. I went out tonight and did 5k in 38m32s - I changed my route a bit and did 3 smaller laps, cutting across the bottom third of the park on one of the paths. This reduces the distance I have to run uphill each time which I think helps.

Yes, trial was 9.34, so 8.58 was much better than expected. Although a guy did it in 4.07, but he's obviously a very good runner as that's almost Seb Coe standards!

Yes, was going at 7 min mile at the start, and a girl from parkrun overtook me. She's faster than me so I warned her I'd noticed my speed. She was laughing as she had probably saw slow Lesley and thought best overtake her haha. I didn't keep up the 7 min mile pace for long obviously. Maybe about a fifth of a mile if that, but that's the period where you haven't yet got out of breath, so that's the only reason it was do-able!! And silly :)

You haven't been going very long at all, and probably doing better than I was at your stage, so if you think you can't do it you are wrong! Ok, you may never get super fast, and like me you might just plod along and try to improve a little as time goes on.

I'm glad you got back out and did the 5k this week though, makes such a difference having success. The 2k and stopping must have been very disheartening, but I think sometimes it's not just your legs or your lungs but your head at the time too. Some days I'm much more determined than others! :j:j
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Week 2 day 1 completed! Say it quietly, it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. I like the fact that it is less runs, I know they're longer but to me it felt like it was over a bit quicker :rotfl:

Another thanks to all here, I've not told anyone I'm doing this so it's nice to be able to come on here to shout about my achievements. I will boast to friends and family once I've reached the end :D
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    Week 2 day 1 completed! Say it quietly, it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. I like the fact that it is less runs, I know they're longer but to me it felt like it was over a bit quicker :rotfl:

Another thanks to all here, I've not told anyone I'm doing this so it's nice to be able to come on here to shout about my achievements. I will boast to friends and family once I've reached the end :D

That's fantastic that you did it on the first go - I had to walk some of the running bits on w2d1. Looking back, I was hideously unfit before I started running.

I'm even more impressed that you're doing this without telling anyone. I'd probably have given up without the support and encouragement I got from my husband.
  • cottyh24
    Options
    Another 5k done today, knocking 20 seconds off the last one (38m11s so still not record breaking pace :rotfl:). This one just felt easier too. I got to 1k and realised that I wasn't even breathing heavily - in fact I was pretty much fine apart from the third uphill bit but that eased off once it levelled out. I usually struggle from pretty early on so that's a definite improvement.

Lesley74, thank you for all your encouragement. I was so close to giving up last week but feel much more positive now.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    cottyh24 wrote: »
    Another 5k done today, knocking 20 seconds off the last one (38m11s so still not record breaking pace :rotfl:). This one just felt easier too. I got to 1k and realised that I wasn't even breathing heavily - in fact I was pretty much fine apart from the third uphill bit but that eased off once it levelled out. I usually struggle from pretty early on so that's a definite improvement.

Lesley74, thank you for all your encouragement. I was so close to giving up last week but feel much more positive now.

20 seconds is a good improvement after only a few days!! And you're admitting you were fine as well. You possibly could have gone faster, but the risk is that you struggle and put yourself off so you made the right call on your pace!!

You're going sub 38 in the next week I'd say. Only a matter of time and you'll be getting much lower. Now is the point where you will make the time improvements so enjoy it! If you did parkruns right now you'd get a string of pb's I think, would be very encouraging for you. Failing that, log your runs and keep an eye on the times. Are you doing anything else like calorie or weight targets? This all helps.

I think you're doing this just right...if you were to overdo it you'd risk injury as well.

We had 30mph winds today with gusts up to 42mph and lots of rain, so I made a wise call and backed out of the 10k I had planned. It was pay on the day so nothing lost other than that I wanted to improve my 10k with an official time. We went to watch the finish, it was awful weather. The runners were really struggling. Last to finish was close to an hour and she's a 25min parkrunner, I'd have been 15 mins behind her and mortified at keeping folk standing in the rain!! Better weather they'd have chatted then cheered I suppose.

I have agreed to run the course though with the girl that said she'd do it and also backed out (before me), so will let you all know how I get on.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options

You're making this sound easy...very well done.

Fantastic to see a bunch of people take on this challenge and succeed! :beer:
  • cottyh24
    Options
    lesley74 wrote: »
    20 seconds is a good improvement after only a few days!! And you're admitting you were fine as well. You possibly could have gone faster, but the risk is that you struggle and put yourself off so you made the right call on your pace!!

You're going sub 38 in the next week I'd say. Only a matter of time and you'll be getting much lower. Now is the point where you will make the time improvements so enjoy it! If you did parkruns right now you'd get a string of pb's I think, would be very encouraging for you. Failing that, log your runs and keep an eye on the times. Are you doing anything else like calorie or weight targets? This all helps.

I think you're doing this just right...if you were to overdo it you'd risk injury as well.

We had 30mph winds today with gusts up to 42mph and lots of rain, so I made a wise call and backed out of the 10k I had planned. It was pay on the day so nothing lost other than that I wanted to improve my 10k with an official time. We went to watch the finish, it was awful weather. The runners were really struggling. Last to finish was close to an hour and she's a 25min parkrunner, I'd have been 15 mins behind her and mortified at keeping folk standing in the rain!! Better weather they'd have chatted then cheered I suppose.

I have agreed to run the course though with the girl that said she'd do it and also backed out (before me), so will let you all know how I get on.

It definitely sounds like you did the right thing by backing out of the 10k - that weather sounds miserable and not at all conducive to running. As you say, you can run the route in better weather without having to worry that people are waiting for you in awful conditions. That's my worry about signing up for events - coming absolutely last. We have a 5k organised by a local running club that I considered entering but I'm worried it'll be all club runners that'll be lapping me before I get to 2k. At least at Race for Life I know I'll not be bringing up the rear.

My app tracks my steps, weight, food/calories consumed and exercise (running, walking, hiking etc) so I can look back and see how I've improved. I do think I need to add in some additional exercise so plan to start using the stepper I have a few times a week on top of the running.
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Week 2 day 2 done. Harder than the other day but managed to keep going. I went out at a funny time food wise as I was watching the tennis and it was hot. I wish I'd started this a while ago as I'm not great with the heat at the best of times let alone exercising!

Really great reading about other people's experiences, keep them coming.

Onwards and upwards everyone :j
  • silvertabby_2
    silvertabby_2 Posts: 337 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Week 2 day 2 done. Harder than the other day but managed to keep going. I went out at a funny time food wise as I was watching the tennis and it was hot. I wish I'd started this a while ago as I'm not great with the heat at the best of times let alone exercising!

Well done.

I ran my second park run and knocked 1 minute 40 off my previous time. The course was more difficult and I find it difficult running with other people as I normally run alone. I felt better after this run and knew I had completed it in a faster time. Hopefully will continue to get better with practice.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options

Don't think it has been over 14 degrees this year where I live...I'm getting a bit jealous of this talk of heat!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure