Very slow internet

Options
aardvaak
aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
A couple of weeks ago I was getting 6.5mbs up to 8 now I am only getting 1.8 -2mbs

When it started dropping BT were surprised that the hub was receiving 10 though I never saw it.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

I have recently renewed my contract - could it be they arte taking me for granted and reduced the speed?

They say they only guarantee 2mbs although it has never been that slow - I have always had about 6.5

What can I do now with speeds like this there in no point of trying to go online?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What speed is the actual hub showing ??
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    It may simply be contention - it's Easter, everyone's off work, lots more people are online at the same time.

How are you connecting - wired or wireless? If wireless are you using the optimal channel?

Does the line sound OK when making calls?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    Always remember back in the days of dial-up internet where we were with Freeserve and they hadn't long introduced the "unlimited dial-up internet" thing for something like £12.49 a month. The service was swamped and you heard more engaged tones after 7pm than you did through the rest of the day. The speed (for dial-up days) wasn't too bad - it was getting connected that was the issue.

Interesting to note on occasions the reverse has happened - can connect but can't go anywhere.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    Freeserve was the one you picked up a CD for from the likes of Dixons and AOL disks fell out of magazines and newspapers like nobody's business. They later became collectible (apparently) and those that weren't found a new use as bird scarers.

Because Freeserve had broken the mould and were only charging for the cost of the phone call (as opposed to the likes of Compuserve and AOL at the time which charged both for the internet and the cost of the calls), there was an explosion in the number of providers around who followed in the broken mould. Most of these companies would eventually die or merge with somebody else although some providers offered the same product in a few different packages - Telinco were quite good at this, though they ended up being owned by Tiscali and later TalkTalk.
    But anyway...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aardvark - have you tried the usual stuff, like carefully removing the faceplate from your master socket and plugging your router (via an adsl filter) into the test socket that lies behind it?

Also I presume there's some way to get a look at what the router's seeing in terms of noise margins; gather that data and post it up to the "BT community" (BT forums) - someone there may be able to give you more specific help: https://community.bt.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aardvaak wrote: »
    I have recently renewed my contract - could it be they arte taking me for granted and reduced the speed?

I'm sorry but in what universe does that even make sense, what exactly do you think BT would get out of that besides angry customers?

I don't think anyone has asked but are you measuring the download speed over a wired connection or WiFi? If wired then which site are you using to actually test?
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sorry but in what universe does that even make sense, what exactly do you think BT would get out of that besides angry customers?

I don't think anyone has asked but are you measuring the download speed over a wired connection or WiFi? If wired then which site are you using to actually test?

Wired - OOkla - https://www.speedtest.net
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    must admit mine has been all over the show this morning and i'm with Sky. There was only me up at 6.15 in the house so it wasn't as though everyone was on it. I did a speed check and it said it was slower than 94% of the houses in the area!
    Go get it!
  • Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    tibawo wrote: »
    must admit mine has been all over the show this morning and i'm with Sky. There was only me up at 6.15 in the house so it wasn't as though everyone was on it. I did a speed check and it said it was slower than 94% of the houses in the area!

If there is noise on your line the speed will reset to a low stable speed. After the noise clears its takes time (days) to slowly go back to the highest stable speed. This accounts for many sudden drops in speed.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    tibawo wrote: »
    You're not sharing your internet with everyone in the house. You're sharing your internet with everyone in the street.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure