funeral cost

Options

Comments

• Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Executors should be VERY cautious about funeral costs. Wake should be modest and only for the immediate family.

As long as the Executors sit down with family members and all are in agreement to what type of funeral they would like, I do not see any problem.
    The problem arises when the Executor decides upon himself/herself to do what they think its best - even though they may have the power.
    My sister as the Executor of my mother's funeral and we were all in agreement.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 April 2019 at 6:05PM
    Options
    This might be a guide https://www.salford.gov.uk/births-marriages-and-deaths/dealing-with-a-death/fees-and-charges/

You pay the LA for the burial rights to a plot, then pay again for the actual burial. Then for the right to put the headstone on, & additional charge if you also want kerb edging. Then there are all their admin costs.

On TOP of that are the Funeral Directors charges, coffin, car/s, pall bearers etc. Then your priest & the church service costs. Order of service, flowers & wake.

Then the purchase of the headstone/kerb edging. The LA costs for the right to install it all do not include the purchase of it!

My condolences on the loss of your dad. As you can see, there are many components to a funeral, you must compile a complete list of what you'd like, then adjust it to fit your budget. As YM99 said, shop around. Make sure you know EXACTLY what is included in any quote.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • katiepoppycat
    katiepoppycat Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've arranged 2 funerals in Rochdale in the last few years and the affordable funeral company are excellent. Respectful, helpful and unsurprisingly, affordable.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Socajam wrote: »
    As long as the Executors sit down with family members and all are in agreement to what type of funeral they would like, I do not see any problem.
    The problem arises when the Executor decides upon himself/herself to do what they think its best - even though they may have the power.
    My sister as the Executor of my mother's funeral and we were all in agreement.
    Indeed. The problems start when nobody consults each. Technically the executor is supposed to take charge as they are the only people with legal authority to do so. Often nobody knows immediately who the executor is.
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    I've arranged 2 funerals in Rochdale in the last few years and the affordable funeral company are excellent. Respectful, helpful and unsurprisingly, affordable.

OP has specified BURIAL, that company only seem to offer cremations.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd say it's worth talking the priest at the church you want to use: they may have a useful recommendation.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • baron777red
    Options
    some good advice here, thanks
    we dont have an actual appointed executor, dad hasnt got any assets apart from cash in the bank, and what was in his flat. (theres enough to cover the funeral) so me and my brother are sorting out all his affairs, we would prefer cremation but dads brother, is catholic and wants him buried, (dad wasnt religious) neither myself or my brother are religious so i dont mind either way as long as its not too expensive,
    its so difficult i dont want to upset anyone but i know dad wouldn't want to spend too much money on his funeral, he was very careful with his money.
    its only a bargain, if you need it or will use it.

:beer:
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    Personally I'd perhaps let your uncle have his way with a catholic service of some kind, but NOT a burial, not if you believe your dad genuinely had no preference.

I hate to say it, but I'm going to....you don't seem to have a bottomless budget, a cremation plot is cheaper than a full sized grave. A cremation stone is cheaper than a full upright headstone. Interment is cheaper than burying. Can't really say if the cost of the crematorium would negate all the possible 'savings' though.

I don't think your uncle's religion alone should decide everything, unless he's offered to pay for any of it.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I'd perhaps let your uncle have his way with a catholic service of some kind, but NOT a burial, not if you believe your dad genuinely had no preference.

I hate to say it, but I'm going to....you don't seem to have a bottomless budget, a cremation plot is cheaper than a full sized grave. A cremation stone is cheaper than a full upright headstone. Interment is cheaper than burying. Can't really say if the cost of the crematorium would negate all the possible 'savings' though.

I don't think your uncle's religion alone should decide everything, unless he's offered to pay for any of it.
    As money is tight why not have direct cremation followed by scattering the ashes. Folllowed by a catholic memorial service.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we would prefer cremation but dads brother, is catholic and wants him buried, (dad wasnt religious)

its so difficult i dont want to upset anyone but i know dad wouldn't want to spend too much money on his funeral, he was very careful with his money.

The RC church hasn't forbidden cremation since the early 1960s.

I've been to a couple of RC funerals recently - a Requiem Mass at their church followed by a short service at the crematorium.

Deciding on a burial will increase the costs by several thousands - unless uncle is prepared to pay the difference, go for what your father would have chosen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure