Credit Card Fraud involving Blizzard Entertainment

Options

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mine was all refunded yesterday. I think I've had a narrow escape compared with some of you as they only took £58.13 in total from my bank in lots of small transactions.

I spoke too soon. After I posted that they took another £1501 from my account. Luckily they have refinded it.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Dave_Rowtree
    Options
    Are these transactions being used to play World of Warcraft I wonder? (published by Blizzard) Addicts can get so hooked on the game I wouldn't put it past them.
  • meike_mo
    Options
    I am a customer of a small US bank in the Heartlands and have been charged $ 21.65, $ 19.99 and another $ 19.99 on
    June 1st, 2007 through my Debit MC from Blizzard-ENT*ELECUPGRD.
    When I called my bank today (after I could not get anybody from Blizzard on the phone yesterday), to let them also check on three more unauthorized payments to
    PA-SECOND LIFE ($ 1.00) and PA-LINDEN LAB ($ 9.95 and $ 10.00) posted today (June 5th, 2007),
    they told me about another payment to Blizzard, dated June 3rd, 2007, for $ 49.76.
    The bank seems to be pretty helpless up to now. Does anybody have any recommendation, where banks can get information and help how to handle these cases?
    If I want to return the payments, it's a $ 20.00 charge for each payment, they say. But who has to prove (and how), that the payment has or has not been authorized?
  • Kevoh
    Kevoh Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Wyndham wrote: »
    A complete aside, but this thread does seem to have attracted lots of newbie moneysavers!

As the starter of this thread, I'm happy to have attracted newbies. I hope they all stay and save some ££, although it may be a little bit difficult from our friends across the pond.

Update: A letter from the Fraud dept arrived this yesterday indicating that they refused to authorise three more charges from WOW.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT CDKE £9.87

They also asked if I knew of anyone benefiting from the fraudulent transactions under the proceeds of crime act 2002.

They have now blocked all transactions from WOW and Blizzard on my card.
  • Ant18
    Ant18 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    This has also happened to me.....6 transactions from Blizzard in the last few days - and also the cheek to charge overseas transaction cost..

Is anyone else noticing a trend?? did everyone else buy stuff from AMAZON a couple of days before this happened? Because it happened the day after i bought my hard drive......
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How the heck is it "a cheek" to charge overseas transaction costs? These ARE overseas transactions.

It's not the card operator's fault that they are fraudulent, and they don't necessarily know that they are.
  • davidmah
    Options
    tHANKS TO ALL WHO GAVE WARNING.oN 21 mAY MY cREDIT cARD PROVIDER 'PHONED TO ASK ABOUT AN ENTRY FOR $19.99.i REFUTED THE ENTRY.hAVING BEEN TOLD IT WOULD BE REFUNDED ,THIS MORNING i FIND IT IS STILL THERE.nOW 21 DAYS LATER THE PROVIDER WANTS FORMS FILLED IN.a BIT LATE i CRY.aNY WAY PUT bLIZZARD INTO MY SEARCH ENGINE AND UP COME ALL THESE WARNINGS ,BEEN GOING FOR SOME TIME.i RANG CC PROVIDER AND ASKED WHY THIS KNOWN SITUATION WAS NOT RELATED TO ME...NO ANSWER.sO AGAIN GRATEFUL TO ALL
    DAVID
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Are these transactions being used to play World of Warcraft I wonder? (published by Blizzard) Addicts can get so hooked on the game I wouldn't put it past them.

I would have thought it's much more likely to be goldsellers buying accounts to farm gold and advertise with. It's big business and a huge problem at the minute.
  • aingram2
    Options
    Additional charges on your bank cards to watch for:

Second Life - I was charged $10.00
    Linden Lab - I was charged $9.95
    NC Soft USD - I was charged $32.61

Blizzard Entertainment has charged me three times @ $19.99 a pop.

I just found this out this morning so the process now begins. Thankfully it was a VISA credit card and NOT my debit card!!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Question is do I ever trust buying anything online again? Would you?
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills