PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Woke up at stupid o clock and could not get back to sleep, so up and pot of tea with toast & bramble jam for breakfast, all before 7

I think the early rising put me "out of sorts" because I felt light headed later, so opted on cautious side & stayed in. Of course I'm back to normal now it is raining

Mid morning was sort of lunchtime by body clock, a cheese sandwich then

Real lunch time was last of the mini sausage rolls, with piccalilli

Dinner I think will be a frozen ready meal roast beef dinner, bought for just such an occasion, dull, dank & CBA

Out tomorrow with the grandchildren, weather permitting it is walking along the prom and something in a cafe, a CFO light day
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    money, are you around, are you ok? Last I read from you, you were not feeling too good. I worry when someone lives alone

I have no idea what to eat for my last meal, cba cooking. Oh maybe one of my `emergency` tinned soups with some edamame pasta in it. I have been busy but a good result
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I have no idea what to eat for my last meal, cba cooking. Oh maybe one of my `emergency` tinned soups with some edamame pasta in it. I have been busy but a good result

One of my thoughts for tonight's CBA meal was an emergency tin of soup, I think having emergency "just in case" stuff in is a must for CFO
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2018 at 3:48PM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    money, are you around, are you ok? Last I read from you, you were not feeling too good. I worry when someone lives alone

Yep..I'm here.Thanks for asking. Still feeling a bit on the "weak and feeble" side.

Of course - after making my Four Thieves Oil - what do I go and do? Yep....forget to use it most of the time:o

So I'm still wondering if my immune system is "seeing off a would-be intruder" so to say at the moment.

Did my usual Tesco shopping trip this morning and duly come back with loads of fruit and vegs. again.

Was feeling a bit cba - so a non-plan meal for lunch was a huge fresh fruit salad with yogurt, with a few cacao nibs scattered on top (cue for thinking "You know your tastebuds have changed a bit when you start by finding cacao nibs a bit 'strong' and then work your way over to finding them a bit sweet now"). Followed by using the last of the chickpea flour batter I had for a sorta omelette with sauted mushrooms (in veg. stock and liquid aminos - ie sorta soya sauce) and tomatoes and olives with it.

I could manage to eat a bit of cheese if it were in front of me:cool:. I've made sure I havent got access to any cheese now - without a shopping trip first...

EDIT; yep...living on one's own and "precautionary measures get taken in case" - so I'm well stocked-up again just in case. Do have to make some bread - but basically well stocked. Including lots of fiction to read in case.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all

I still don't have much of an appetite after struggling with the flu for nearly 2 weeks but I feel I need to start eating, I've only had one slice of toast today. The trouble is I just don't 'fancy' anything and can't really taste anything anyway!

I've just glanced in the freezer and before xmas I bought some spinach croquette thingies....no idea why as they require deep frying and I neither shallow or deep fry anything!

Is there any other way I can cook them just in case I get the urge to eat later?

TIA
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    karcher, thank goodness you have turned the corner. You will start to feel better slowly but surely. You were well and truly wiped
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Flubbery - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, I'm also adjusting to life alone after my hubby aged 63 died suddenly last June, I'm in my 50 s and also never been alone before, I get some helpful suggestions on here though.
    Karcher- glad you're feeling better. Perhaps you could brush with oil and pop in oven?? The croquettes! !!

Lunch was the sandwich, but not the yogurt, as work decided to treat us for long service, and I had a pack of pepper crisp and a gfree millionaire slice, I was also allowed to bring the other 3 in the pack home as I was the only gfree one.:T
    Tea was pasta with mushrooms onion and peppers, with chilli pesto and a salmon with lime and chilli fillet, flaked in it, I used a gfree thin to make garlic bread. I had a coffee and pecan gf slice (lo from sisters bday) with my cup of tea.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    karcher wrote: »

I've just glanced in the freezer and before xmas I bought some spinach croquette thingies....no idea why as they require deep frying and I neither shallow or deep fry anything!

Is there any other way I can cook them just in case I get the urge to eat later?

TIA

I don't see why they couldn't be baked in the oven - I'd hazard a guess at maybe for 20 minutes for instance?

I know I like falafels for instance (similar idea imo) and they are usually something recipes describe as to be fried - but they can be baked in the oven and that would be my take on how to do them.

If the worst came to t'worst and they felt a bit dry (which I shouldnt think they will - but just in case) then one could always find something or other that would moisten them up a bit. In my case - I might do a tahini sauce for instance. If I was feeling cba - then I could maybe stick a bit of plain yogurt on the side as a dipping sauce for them.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 January 2018 at 8:30PM
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    ....spinach croquette thingies....no idea why as they require deep frying and I neither shallow or deep fry anything!

Shallow frying's fine. Frying pan, bit of oil, in they go ... stand over it and turn them over with any appropriate utensil you've to hand until they're browned all over.

Heat: Medium. They need to be medium so they're cooked to the core. Too hot and they'll burn on the outside and be cold in the middle. Too low and you'll get bored waiting for them.

:)

You COULD nuke them then fry them a bit faster.
    You could use any type of "foreman grill".
    You could shove them under a grill (brush with a bit of oil) and keep turning them, again medium so they don't burn. You could nuke then grill them to speed that up.
    Oven baking would be OK, although slower than a grill (and probably overkill of warming up a whole oven unless you've a toaster oven). 15-20 mins at 180C I'd try.

If all else fails and you want to have "a bloke moment" - nuke then blow torch them :)

All you're trying to achieve is: middle's hot, outside's brown. How you do that is optional.

There's nothing in there that "needs cooking properly" or "will kill you".... so it's just about "is it hot enough to feel like a hot meal? is the middle done? does the outside look nice to me?".
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shallow frying's fine. Frying pan, bit of oil, in they go ... stand over it and turn them over with any appropriate utensil you've to hand until they're browned all over.

Heat: Medium. They need to be medium so they're cooked to the core. Too hot and they'll burn on the outside and be cold in the middle. Too low and you'll get bored waiting for them.

:)

You COULD nuke them then fry them a bit faster.
    You could use any type of "foreman grill".
    You could shove them under a grill (brush with a bit of oil) and keep turning them, again medium so they don't burn. You could nuke then grill them to speed that up.
    Oven baking would be OK, although slower than a grill (and probably overkill of warming up a whole oven unless you've a toaster oven). 15-20 mins at 180C I'd try.

If all else fails and you want to have "a bloke moment" - nuke then blow torch them :)

All you're trying to achieve is: middle's hot, outside's brown. How you do that is optional.

There's nothing in there that "needs cooking properly" or "will kill you".... so it's just about "is it hot enough to feel like a hot meal? is the middle done? does the outside look nice to me?".

Funnily enough I don't own a blow torch! :rotfl:

Thanks PN and MITSTM:)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills