Comments

• Speedbird676
    Options
    Download the Ookla Speedtest app.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    tberry6686 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to test the speed on a mobile (Iphone). I'm interested in getting mobile broadband in my house but don't want to spend money on a box and then find it is to slow

https://testmy.net
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mickiemice wrote: »
    I am on the same path! Was testing three in places I use mobile as thinking of switching to take advantage of go roam in the States. This is when I discovered three 4g gave me a reliable 80-120 Mbs anywhere in the house. I then discovered three 4G home broadband deals for existing customers £18pm for unlimited data and an upgrade router (not the Alexa speaker-£16 for the basic router. This is pretty favourable to my current NowTV deal at 30Mbs for £25pm. That is due to end next month

We do stream never in 4K and almost never more than one HD stream. We don’t game so from what I’m reading three would suit me well and be a nice saving, plus I could actually take it with me in the UK and even overseas (they allow up to 12 Gb on go roam on unlimited plans)

Is there a possible downside I’m missing?
    One downside is you'll be locked into a new multi month contract this time with Three. An alternative option is buy a separate 4G router and get a monthly rolling contract with Smarty. Deals pop up from £17.50/month. Also a router that is properly powerful for a house (not the smart speaker ones for sure) will be a bit clunky for travel.
  • Mickiemice
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    One downside is you'll be locked into a new multi month contract this time with Three. An alternative option is buy a separate 4G router and get a monthly rolling contract with Smarty. Deals pop up from £17.50/month. Also a router that is properly powerful for a house (not the smart speaker ones for sure) will be a bit clunky for travel.

Good point I think it’s a two year lock-in (although one month is an option at £79 upfront and £18 a month) Its quite a long lock in particularly for mobile broadband which might work fine now but maybe more flakey in 6 months time. Have to offset that against the cost of a router or a rolling one month deal from three.

Can anyone recommend a good 4g router I could buy instead and does anyone know if the three ones are unlocked-or dies no one lock a router to their network?

I probably would never use it for travelling but it’s an option if ever needed and I could always put the sim in a MiFi device if I wanted to
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure