PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Finished painting the decks on the boat - the sanding, masking and panting has taken DH 4 days! ( No it's not a big boat!) I've been sorting lockers - got rid of quite a few items from the previous owner that had died in storage. Found a set of elderly mucky foulies in a locker - I'll give them a wash & if they come up OK ill pass them to a CS.
    No more jobs to do on board now - she's all ready for some decent sailing g weather!
    I won't mention the state of the house.........I have a list ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds great silvasava. I went out on my friends!!!8217; boat on Saturday, was delighted to see that the sheet bags that I sweated over last year are still in place, and the outboard motor cover. We had a brilliant day - just a gentle sail up the river and back but it was perfect weather and stress free.

Kitties I!!!8217;m slightly envious - silk sheets sound so luxurious - but I think I!!!8217;d be worried about damaging them, the cat likes to jump on the bed to wake me up and I have a feeling they wouldn!!!8217;t wear well!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 May 2018 at 6:22PM
    Options
    silk is definitely not good value for money. I always washed mine gently in a very good machine with silk wash and they look debraded after just one season. The sun changes the colour and they need ironing. I went through all my sheets and was pleasantly surprised because I have not got an infinite amount of silk bedding. Crazy thing is that it all started with two silk pillowcases as they are lovely for hair and face. I have 2 duvet covers, 2 large flat sheets in case the weather becomes very warm and I only want a light blanket, 2 fitted sheets and a few pillow cases. They are slippy and sumptuous for a while but soon lose that luxury look. I cannot see them lasting more than 2 years

All cosy bedding is away in storage and I do have the right amount. I found one set of white percale cotton bedding, non-iron and easy to wash and I found a set of expensive white egyptian cotton, high thread count but not easy to manage laundrywise. All in all they will do if I have 2 visitors, any more and I will have to get some more percale. I have one heavy set of white cotton bedding that needs tlc, or an unfussy owner, nothing wrong with it, just washed too hot, got a bit stiffer and is no longer lily white and I would rather pass it on than cope with it

One reason for me not fretting about the silk now is that I had been keeping it to try and make the 2 singles look nice for selling the house but the colours are different now because of the sun. I bought 2 sets of 10 pieces of polyester bedding from qvc, sale price and very glitzy, swirls, braids, tassels, throws and cushions. I have left them in their packaging and they will be purely to dress the room, I know the 2 grandaughters will bite my hand off for them afterwards. Hence me using the silk
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 May 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    :o Does anyone else here suffer with an imp on their shoulder who, when you have replaced an everyday item with something you like better, whispers that you better keep the old one because?

Last week I found a very nice stainless steel mirror finish teapot for £2.99 in a chazzer. It is nicer than the one I have been using; a fraction bigger (this was an issue), spout shape is a better pourer, plus it is more attractive and would have been a more expensive one new (better quality, nicer design).

Soooo, I bring it into service, clean the other one up and what happens? I put it in a high kitchen cupboard and keep it because?

Because I might need to make tea for 6+ people at once (three's a crowd in the microflat) and will need two teapots? Because I might simultaneously want one pot of black tea and one of green tea? Because I might break a strong stainless steel teapot and then I'll be REALLY sorry I gave the old one away? Because stainless steel teapots are rare and costly items and I'll never see another, will I?!

Craziness. I shall check if it is required at the parental homestead and, if not, off to the chazzer it goes.

OK, teapot going to the 'rents later this month, along with the net curtains which I'm altering to fit her windows. These were bought a number of years ago when I moved into this flat and was imagining 4 netted windows and one glazed door net. Didn't need a fraction of that as went to different coverings but for one window, so most of the netting was totally unused but stashed in the airing cupboard. Mum wanted to know if I remembered what I'd paid for them as she wanted to give me some money (her wants, not mine, she's insisting). Being a financial nerd, it took me about 20 seconds to find the account page for the month and year and I bought this fabric half price for £24.22 and she's insisting on my having half that. It's fine by me as I'll be having a trip in the next few weeks and I shall turn that money into something experiential (museum entry, most likely).
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know that imp very well GQ - I nearly saved the foulies for Justin! But will I be sailing in storm force winds? Not B likely!!!!
    So glad you got to see the fruits of your labours Polly and had a lovely day sailing - you certainly deserved it - there was a good sheet bag on my boat when I bought it but the velcro had rotted. I nearly three it away but remembered I had some velcro I'd saved from something else. It's a nice blue bag sporting red velcro now :)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hello all coming out of lurkdom to say “hi”. :j I was lent the book ‘The Joy of Less’ at Easter by a friend. Interesting read. I have been on a use up mission with toiletries and cleaners and alongside KM, animal friendly and zero waste only coming into the house.
    A visit to CS left me waving goodbye to a scrapbook, card stock, a blouse my sister gave me, a French-style loo roll holder thing (what possessed me to think I lived in a chateau) and two ceramic bonsai dishes minus the trees (killed them years ago).
    GQ it’s reassuring to hear your teapot dilemmas :rotfl:None of us are immune to Justin’s charms it seems.
    So I confess - 4 paperbacks to MIL in hospital, two books in (only one a keeper). Love to all.
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was trying to find the lid for a travel mug yesterday, searched high and low and it's vanished!

I caught myself putting the mug back in the "thermos and travel mugs box" (get me! How posh does that sound??) when I suddenly heard GQ's voice in my ear (or what I imagine her voice to be) saying....Justin doesn't need a lidless travel mug now does he...

So it's in a bag ready to take to the allotment once the sheds arrived and it will be my coffee cup there instead...no lid required!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 May 2018 at 6:55AM
    Options
    :) Lovely to 'see' you again, Charly27. I sometimes feel that I ought to have the shoulders of an American football linebacker, there are so many imps jostling for position up there to whisper in my shell-likes.

Yesterday, I gave away some flowerbulbs which someone had decluttered to me (they just appeared on my allotment, I found out after the event what they were and who'd given them). They weren't something I particularly wanted, although I could have found a niche for them in the 450 m sq of allotments but, as serendipity sometimes provides, an acquaintance starting a community garden project on a shoestring chatted to me about gardening and was delighted to have them.

This feels good, the acquaintance is a good person trying to do good work with negligble resources and the bulbs will be growing somewhere there is not a lot of beauty at present and I can always walk over a couple of streets next year and see them flowering. Plus many other people will get the pleasure, too.

A bit of online research yestereve revealed that the £12 Mum is insisting on giving me for the nets will pay for a joint ticket for two great museums on my trip, so that will be an absence of some clutter, a win for Mum and some happy memories for moi.

Today's cunning plan will involve a couple of hours at the juntique shop helping my pal out with some stuff. He's incredibly knowledgeable about his stock but very disorganised about other matters. I get to boss paperwork about and drag strange things out of cobwebby corners and ask what they are.

I could tidy up at home, but home isn't such a target-rich environment and doesn't offer things like Napoleonic War bayonets among the clutter...........:rotfl:

ETA; Well done, Pooky! I'm told I sound like Charlotte Green, the radio 4 newsreader, if that helps your imagination, lol.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    This week's outs (some underwear eaten by the WM, some other underwear and socks worn through, some Tupperware to CS alongside 2 read paperbacks, a very smelly candle (won at Tombola) taken out of CS bag and given to my mum, a toy sold on t'bay, more hotel toiletries used (almost all gone - about a week's worth left)) have been balanced by some 'ins' - 2 giraffe garden ornaments (somewhat whimsical, but hey!), a set of dinosaur drinking glasses (we like patterned glasses here), a string of 200 solar lights for a tree in the back garden and 5 small (and cheap) solar spike lights for a particular flower bed. However, what has come in is joyful - and most of it is living outside anyway! :D Oh - I forgot - have also taken delivery of 2 new loo seats - 1 was a free replacement of 1 purchased last Summer and which cracked a couple of months ago and the other is to replace another seat which has also broken. So 2 seats in, but 2 seats will be going out (landfill, unfortunately, but I'm not sure there's a market for broken second hand loo seats!! :rotfl: Packaging will be recycled/ reused (the bubble wrap has gone into my flebay stash)

Today I plan on exchanging 2 large bags of fabric recycling (worn out clothes and a ripped sheet) at H&M for 2 x £5 off £25 spend vouchers. Not planning on using vouchers yet - but will do over the Summer at some point (DD at 20 buys most of her stuff from H&M and DS1(18) happily wears their jeans. DS2 and DS3 have occasional items from there - but I do get away with lots of handmedowns for them :D :T

I also need to pick up a bday card (nothing suitable in stash, as I've run it down to almost bare bones) and 2 presents - all of which will be leaving here (along with a card from stash) over the weekend, so very much temporary residents :) Hopefully, the only other purchases should be food....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GQ

How I wish you had a Napoleonic bayonet when the "lovely person" rattled your door last night.

Wondering innocently why I have the voice of Jonesy in Dad's Army in my head saying "They don't like it up em sir!"

Finally feeling a bit better so managed to get several loads of washing done and dried yesterday and will spend this morning tidying all of it away and assembling the ottoman that just arrived to be stored in the conservatory.

Someone has offered to take the coat hangers to the recycling centre on Thursday so I want to sort them out and keep maybe twenty for using to air clothes outside etc. then put the ones to get rid off into a big bin bag out of the way.

Meeting a dd in York later so will make sure I have a bite to eat before I go and pace myself as I get wobbly in the heat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure