PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh, excellent points from greenbee!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) These are all good points but there are mitigating factors which cannot be discussed online and the juntique shop might even change hands within months, we shall see. I shall stay with my (relatively) secure job and play around over there as and when the mood strikes. If one isn't on the payroll, one can be free to come and go, hmm?

Wiped myself out with too much activity yesterday and am exhausted. No gardening for moi tonight but might work on the nets again as I want them to be ready for the weekend so they can go over to The Homestead.

Yess, but I will only be there 24 hrs and probably no kondo-ing to be done. Unless I'm really really tempted.;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry you're shattered, GQ, hope you feel better tomorrow.

Also apologising for bugging you about the job change - as greenbee says, it *is* just because you obviously love it, and it just seems so right for you. Ah well, there are realities at play that are equally weighty.

I haven't done all of the rubbish-to-the-bin :( my shoulder wouldn't take it. But its a very lovely day out there :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    edited 15 May 2018 at 6:34PM
    Options
    :) Thanks, hun.

Most of the business of the juntique shop is the knowledge inside my pal's head and his connections, so it isn't like selling oranges and he and I are not interchangeable - I'm just the lively one with the eye for presentation and design. And a magpie's lurve of junk jewellery.:p

Feeling so whacked out that I've lost the thermostat and had to bung the heating on, despite the wool top and fleece waistcoat. ME is a right pain in the arris. Nice sunny day out there, would you credit.

Have decided that I really need to ration allotmenteering to alternate evenings or I get too shattered to function after 3 nights or so. So I shall rest tonight and do a bit tomorrow, those weeds ain't going anywhere in a hurry.

In discussion with Mum, she suggested that I just bring the nets ready for sewing and we do it at hers as she has a lot more space to put up her sewing machine than I have to put up mine. So that's one thing off the to-do list.

I am about to make a vat of chili con carne, getting myself on the outside of some of that will build up my strength and operating temperature. Onwards, outward and beyooooond!!

Oooh, near,y forgot, Mum's been hunting for the rubber letters for the 'Printy' - a stamp for addresses and cannot find them. There is a suspicion that they might be in one of the two drawers of the oak Utility cabinet. I've not seen this piece of furniture for about 20 years and tend to forget that she owns it. Along with a full-size filing cabinet, a single wardrobe and a big bookcase, it is hidden behind a wall of floor-to-ceiling boxes of books. But, she has decided, that it's Time that Kid Bruv moved those boxes so we can declutter that piece of furniture and maybe, just maybe, find the Printy's accessories.

There's sure to be something (or several somethings) of the utterly ridiculous nature in the cabinet, my fingers are already itching with kondo-fever to get hold of them. I shall be sure to update you laters. GQ xx
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Popped in to the Sally Army with a bag of ragging and a bag with a black pigskin jacket that I no longer wear, the case to my defunct tablet, a couple of books and the foulies. I've a pot of lemon balm to exchange with a friend for some dill. My OOD climbing beans have nearly all germinated! Too many for us so I'll share them out.
    GQ - have you any experience of spinach beet? I've got some seeds sprouting as I thought they may be good as fresh greens for the winter but don't have any idea about them!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) There was a row of spinach beet growing on the plot I shared with someone for 18 months before I got Plot1. TBH, I was underwhelmed with them and found the leaves a bit stringy, fibrous and the taste was a bit strong for my palette, too.

I much prefer chard, it overwinters just fine (at least in my part of the world) and can be eaten raw, which is fast and easy, as well as cooked, if you insist. It's reckoned to be very nutritious and, if you let it set seed, as I did accidentally, you'll have feral chards like mine for about 8 years.;)

Which reminds me, must sling the silver chard seed I bought the other week into the ground. I also have a pkt of ruby chard which I inherited from somewhere, think it's 13 years OOD. What I thought I'd do is mix the two kinds and, if any rubies germinate, I shall know how well these seeds store.

:o Just kondo'd two OOD cans of red kidney beans and two OOD cartons of passata into the chili. Oh, and the chili powder was bought from Julian Gr aves in their closing down sale, so that's a bit ancient, too. All will be well. Kondo-ing in the kitchen cupboards a-go-go.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Despite all the kondoing over the past 18 months of so I've been called into action. DD1 is buying a flat (fingers crossed), it's shared ownership and she's passed the initial finically assessments and sent all her proof off, found a solicitor and an IFA and is all ready to step forward into home ownership at the tender age of 22. Both her and her younger sister decided to do a boot sale at the weekend to raise some "new sofa" funds so I have been really ruthless and found nearly a car load of stuff to take too -amazing what you realise Justin doesn't need when your first born is being so grown up and getting stuck in at life.

I've also been kondoing at the allotment - 42 pallets now adorn the plot as fences, all lovely and secure and I even turned one into a gate that DH managed to hang for me today. Tomorrow is a big day as the first plants will actually go in!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    Managed to Kondo another item out to a freegler :)

I'll add another listing now and message the other chappie...
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on the spinach Bert GQ - I'll only plant a few seedlings and get some chard too. Just wanted the option of some fresh green veg in the winter and as I'm M CH further south than you should be OK.
    Have fun at the homestead and don't get too carried away!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) No probs, hun.

Been to work and am feeling shattered and not at all well. Short version is; starting a cold. Will be vegging out this evening and going to bed for a sleep right now.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills