PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Made a small bag to go on the boat to hold bits and pieces and used a small piece of leftover canvas. When DH & I were working on the boat during the week I was making pots of tea - but no cosy for our second cup. I checked in the kitchen drawer at home and had one that belonged to my mum - too small for our teapot but kept (?)
    Now recovered with a piece of leftover striped boat curtain fabric - mum's cosy lives on!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Small amt of Stuff going to CS so far, may be more later.

I may have made progress re the dratted model boat that sits on a shelf in our small LR. I have enquired about a smaller display case in order that it could be re-sited on a cabinet that is tucked under our open-plan stairs. I would prefer it in the alcove on DH's side of the bedroom but that would render the top of his COD out of action. The model boat is pretty big and dominates the room.
    I mentioned the possible relocation and egged DH on by pointing out that our latest artwork could hang above the newly empty shelf :) DH seems concerned about what will go on the shelf if the boat isn't there - not sure if he is worried it will be empty or worried it will be full ! :rotfl:

I also explained where i wanted my lovely floating shelves to go (they have hidden drawers that will contain the essentials that are currently clutter, eg, TV-watching specs, chargers, timer switch for lamp and my small binoculars). I will not use them as shelves, I want them to be clutter-free.

The last plan for relocation is some winter clothes and 2 fleecy blankets. If I can get rid of one of the bulky sunloungers (DH wants to keep one of the 2) I can vac-pack the blankets etc and they can nest in that space.

Wish me luck!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mmf, that boat!!! Could a shelf be put above his cod? Therefore leaving the top of cod free .
    I hope you get it moved , I know how long you've been eyeing it up!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • MMF007
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wort, that was the original idea but the COD is tall and the ceiling slopes lower over it!
    I am fairly sure it will be acceptable to both parties to locate it on the cabinet, tucked away a bit but still visible to anyone who is interested.
    The irony is that I bought the model boat as a present for DH! It was a while ago though :rotfl:
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will be popping in over the next few days as there needs to be some serious Kondoing in the kitchen.
    Apart from evicting whatever smells really manky in the fridge :o, I need to check all the kitchen contents for foods with gluten and dispose of them either by donation or by eating the stuff that can't be guaranteed gluten free.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • MMF007
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, after a couple of bits were relocated (winter woolies and blankets), the sun came out and I relocated myself to a garden chair with my Kindle. Er, not much got done this afto! :D

I have decided that I don't need a new watch, just a new strap. :money:

I'll pop into the local jeweller's tomorrow as i pass by on my way between clients.

I have made sizeable list of things to be passed on to my brother and his kids, who we shall see in 3 week's time. All things they want or will enjoy, mostly consumables. I prefer to have the space!

Hope you all had an enjoyable day. Wouldn't it be nice if it was a Bank Holiday weekend again?!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Evening all.

Had a busy day but very enjoyable.

Spent two hours on Plot1, clearing the small area which is presently a preserve for the spearmint plantation and my extensive collection of indigenous native plants. OK, weeds. :o

Got muddy to the knee in process as there was a lot of rain overnight and everything was wringing wet. It gave me great joy to work under the wire fence which separates Plots 1 and 2 and tacked the nettle clump. By golly, I think I've got the lot. I never could deal with it properly before I had Plot2 as the lion's share of the roots were on that side. And I used to get stung several times a year by the nettles growing thru into Plot1.

I have been at a pal's for luncheon and a mid-afto chazzer run and then came home and finished a library book due back tomorrow (4 going back) and settled down to deal with a project for the juntique shop. Said project involved several types of interelated items cluttering up my LR for several weeks, as I needed a specific kind of material which I sourced this afternoon for a mere £2.

:j Highly delighted and the whole kit & caboodle will go over to the shop, prolly on Tuesday. Think my pal will be well-pleased with the results.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Redlady.....
    Redlady..... Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Grey Queen, I find your little jaunts to the junktique shop as interesting and funny as your homestead ones (well nearly), wish you had more time to spend there.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Grey Queen, I find your little jaunts to the junktique shop as interesting and funny as your homestead ones (well nearly), wish you had more time to spend there.
    :o Aww thanks. And I can only tell you a mere fraction of what goes on in there, due to isshews about other people's privacy (customers and owner). Your mind would boggle as I can't tell one-tenth of it atm!:rotfl:

Pal is trying to hire me away from my current employer but, as he's in his seventies and I'm in my fifties, I cannot give up secure employment to take on what will inevitably be a short-term role, much as I'd love to. If I was within 1-2 years of retirement age, I'd leap at the opportunity.

Picture this; pal and me in the juntique shop, me fossicking in the scrap boxes and hauling out random little bits.

GQ; I think you could sell this.
    Pal: What? It's absolute trash.
    GQ; No, seriously, I think if I cleaned it up a bit and put it in a nice little box in the window it'd fly out of here.
    Pal: Fly like a tide of molasses, you mean.
    **** said item is titivated and presented nicely****
    Pal; (gloomily) It'll never sell, you know.

:D Sometimes it sells within the hour, sometimes within a few days or weeks. Some things take months. I was in there on Saturday and it was busy so I sold a customer something out of the window. When it was quiet again, I told him I'd got £50 for a bit of costume jewellery and he nearly fell off his chair........:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GQ - I really think you should talk sensibly to your pal... you clearly love what you do in his shop! Talk about how much work he could give you now (bear in mind he'll have to provide you with a pension, so you'd still be building that up) and how does that compare to what you're currently doing in terms of hours and income. Could you cut your hours with your current employer and increase them with your pal? That way you haven't burned your boats if you want to go back... it sounds as if the shop hours you currently do as 'leisure' are less exhausting for you than the day job! And would your pal want you to continue running the shop past his retirement to provide him with an income when he can no longer work? It may be that him gradually reducing his hours and you increasing yours might work.

I'm sure you've probably thought of all this, but you seem to love it so much it seems a pity to pass up the opportunity if there's a possibility that this could work out.

I think you'd need to have a conversation about wanting to see the books (I suspect you're already more familiar with them than he is ;)) and look at the viability of the business over the rest of your working life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure