PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    This is brilliant - so simple, yet I never thought of it. Might be a bit hard to do with Lynx body spray :rolleyes: but should be able to manage it with lots of other things.

Got to thinking about the Lynx/Asda bodyspray thing - and it took some thinking about (my OH is exactly the same).

How about a bit of [STRIKE]subterfuge[/STRIKE] (big word for this time in a morning!) a little white lie. You could try telling him that all your friends were saying how really sexy the new Asda/Tesco/Morrisons bodyspray is - even better than 'name of something expensive'. Then, next time in the supermarket, take a sly spray of one and go absolutely delirious over the fragrance of it while asking him to have a sniff as well. He may not like the smell but if he thinks it makes YOU go weak at the knees - it may just do the trick :j !
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I was wondering that too!

I use Daz laundry tablets for my "whites" and the cheapest washing powder I can get for my "coloureds".

.........be very careful with the cheapie washing powders where black clothes are concerned - it can often turn em dark grey.

Have to admit that I do prioritise certain bits of washing to the 'good soap powder' - but my 'good' stuff is Asda's own Lavender and Cottonflower Bio. My cheap one is the SmartPrice one. My fabric conditioner is the Jasmine and YlangYlang by Asda - but have been known to use the SmartPrice which isn't that bad at all.

I now ALWAYS measure out the soap powder (ever since getting one of those free measuring cups) but usually use around half the recommended amount and I've stopped using fabric conditioner on his jeans/denim jacket/overalls etc. But of course, all MY stuff gets the fabric conditioner treatment ;) .
  • Mellika
    Mellika Posts: 506 Forumite
    Options
    Olliebeak wrote: »
    You could try telling him that all your friends were saying how really sexy the new Asda/Tesco/Morrisons bodyspray is - even better than 'name of something expensive'. Then, next time in the supermarket, take a sly spray of one and go absolutely delirious over the fragrance of it while asking him to have a sniff as well. He may not like the smell but if he thinks it makes YOU go weak at the knees - it may just do the trick :j !
    I try this one every time we're at the supermarket. Never works :confused:
    GC March Wk1 £28.72/£30 Wk2 £28.4/£29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    :jSealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1):j
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    Cut dishwasher tablets in half and use your cheapest dishwasher cycle for your normal dishes.

add slightly less than perfect fruit (that wouldn't get eaten from the fruit bowl ) to crumbles

.e.g. nectarine is lovely in a forest fruit + apple crumble
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    re: lynx and expemsove men's toiletries

have a frank conversation about how it costs, look at price per 100ml and compare with own products?

is it worth paying for Lynx's advertising?
    make a scientific choice, e.g. is product a worth x3 more?

or look for bargains on fave brand name toileteries at ebay, it's possible to get Dr Hauschka, Olay, YSL, elec toothbrish heads etc much cheaper, epseically if you bulk buy.
  • mancbird
    mancbird Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love this thread! Lots of great ideas so far, I love the one about the brillo pads!

I've been trying to think of the things that I do but I think it's still a bit early in the morning for me! Some of the things we do include:

* Buying a lot of toiletries, groceries, household goods from cheapie shops like Wilkinson's, B & M and Home and Bargain. You can get loads of branded goods for half the price, e.g. shockwaves hair easy endz (which used to be £2 odd in Boots but I haven't seen it anywhere for ages) for 99p, heinz soups 4 for a £1, John West tuna 3 for £1.50 etc
    * I do surveys etc for companies such as pinecone and get paid in luncheon vouchers which go towards the weekly shop
    * I'm trying to remember to take bags with me when I go food shopping, but I use carriers bags to line my wastepaper bins rather than buying the plastic sacks
    * If something I normally buy is on offer, I always buy it in bulk and throw it in the freezer, under the stairs etc until I need it
    * We use supermarket own brand fabric softener, washing powder and dishwasher tablets. I only buy the "good" stuff if it's on offer. I tend to be allergic to overly perfumed things (e.g. Surf) and have found that the asda / tesco / morrisons powder doesn't bring me out in an unsightly, itchy rash :)
    * If I'm at the supermarket I always check out the reduced section. If it's freezable I'll get it and stick it in the freezer. Quite often washing powder and dishwasher tablets are reduced if the box is a bit battered too :)
    * I make all my own cards etc rather than buying them. Handmade cards cost about £2-3 in the shops and I make my own (much nicer) cards for a fraction of the cost
    * I am an avid reader of magazines and have subscriptions for the ones I buy regularly (I'm trying to wean myself off magazines though!)
    * If we're making a curry, spag bol, chilli etc, we use a small amount of meat and put loads of veg, pulses etc to bulk it out. This way it makes enough for two meals so my and my oh can take it to work for lunch the next day
    * I used to always use expensive body lotion and make up remover but one of my friends (who has gorgeous skin) told me she just uses baby lotion. I now use Asda's own (Johnson and Johnsons is too perfumed for me!) brand baby lotion and my skin looks better than it has for years and I smell yummy to boot!
    * I have quite wild hair that can be a bit frizzy if left to it's own devices but recently I have been using Boot's own brand shampoo and conditioner. It's got coconut in it and has left my hair soft and frizz free :)
    * I joined the library and rather than buying books (even though I got them from charity shops I was still spending a lot of money on books!) I have been getting them from there. The libraries near me are great and have lots of the new releases so you can always get the books you want to read :)

I think that's it for now ;) but I'll have a think and see if anything else comes to mind!
    Mammy to 2 boys aged 5 and 2
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    I've got MIL trained into buying Lynx for my hubby for Christmas, & it's often on offer in Tesco's

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Loving this thread lots of good ideas:j I rarely use washing powder with a dark wash always do darks after a light wash so it uses the powder stuck in the pipes and draw find this way cheap powder doesnt bleach out the colours. Also when veg is starting to look a bit tired (carrots, courgette,onion, toms anything realy) roast it in the bottom of the oven when cooking something else drizzled in a little oil then blitz it in the food processor add a drop of hot sauce and have a great dip for value tortillas, freezes well and great for hungry teenagers who avoid veg!
  • angelfairy
    angelfairy Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    Options
    I have been away from MSE for a month or so, but this was a great thread to come back and read.

I agree with everyone re the Lynx debate, but Mr Beccaoz has extremely sensitive skin and Lynx Dry is the only one that doesn't irritate. Like others though, we buy it when it is on deal.

Will keep an eye on this thread for my good ideas.
  • count_rostov
    Options
    This is such a brilliant thread. My OH was away for four months this winter and I used about a toilet roll a week. When he came back I swear we used a 24-pack in a week! I'll definitely be sqeezing the rolls.
    Debt at LBM (20th March 2008) £13,607
    Debt currently [strike]£11,667[/strike] [strike]£11088[/strike] [strike]£10,681[/strike] [STRIKE]£10354 Hurrah 24% paid off[/STRIKE]
    Oh dear ... back to £12944 9% paid off :rolleyes:
    Hurrah £10712 22% paid off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family