PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2019

Options

Comments

• chrissie57
    chrissie57 Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    51RwD31obPL.jpg

Three stories by Georges Simenon. Only the first concerns Maigret and is excellent, as is the second which is set in a police control room as a killer is pursued round Paris by a child. The third is a self-indulgent, tedious tale of an ageing prostitute.

All three are set on Christmas Eve/Day and are also quite interesting in their portrayal of Parisian life almost 70 years ago
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
  • WoolySarah
    Options
    Ooh count me in too please. I have a huge stack of books that I'm determined to get through and then re-home.

That being said though, I am loving audiobooks at the moment. I've listened to three in the past 7 days just as I have been going through the housework.
    CC: £3663.75 - Jan 19 :eek:

Save £12K in 2019 #135 £245.86/£8,000.00
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Book 2:

educated-by-tara-westover-nt.jpg

6.5/10. Having heard great things about this book, I was actually disappointed with it. It took me a while to read and I didn't like the first part (where she describes her f@ckless father) at all, shame on him for his parenting. However I've read memoirs detailing much worse traumas, which have been much better written so I don't get the rave accolades. I do think it's remarkable how the author got from no education at all to the best, though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • KathCW
    KathCW Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have an overflowing 'to read' bookcase in the bedroom, and another in the box-room. (I sell books so have many more book cases and boxes full of those books.)

Currently I don't seem to find much time to read - an hour in the morning when I wake up, and as long as I can stay awake for when I go to bed (usually only about ½ hour!).

I love crime fiction, modern and historical. I tend to gather up a series and then read them one after the other, as I have such a poor memory, and forget things if they are spaced out.

I have just read the David Raker series by Tim Weaver - excellent, and highly recommended to anyone who doesn't mind a bit/lot of gore.

I don't have a Kindle - I became a book-seller due to a love of books, so Kindles don't really do it for me!
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm 3/4 through the Clever Guts diet book.

I also finished off a book I started last year - The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray.
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    Aiming for 52 books this year, which I doubt I'll achieve, but I'm hoping it will encourage me to actually try and read a bit most days if not every day.

Started and finished Adam Kay's "This is Going to Hurt" over Christmas, which was both hilarious and touching. I know some people recommended it on this thread last year - good call, folks. Between the foreground of the horrific bits of his job and the subtle background of his relationship just falling apart from years of neglect I have even less idea why anyone would want that job, but I'm grateful that they do.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Eventually finished City of Light, by Lauren Belfer.

It was a great idea, but needed some editing, as it was too long with rambling.

Thankfully I have the latest Camilla Lackberg - The Girl in the Woods - as a kindle daily deal. Her usual gripping tale.

Btw: I really to not understand the superiority about real books v kindle. Enjoying using one does not preclude the other. This was one of our discussions at book group 2 last night.

My 93 year old friend woukd have lost her main pleasure in life if it wasn't for her kindle and the ability to choose large print for any book she wants.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I finished the Clever Guts book and didn't get much out of it to be honest. I will donate that to a charity shop next week.

I just deleted a few books from my kindle but I still have 51 books on there!:o
  • ninnoodle
    Options
    I am also trying to get through the books I already have on my bookshelf and Kindle. Currently reading The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. Really enjoying it! I also want to stay off my phone more and read instead this year. I've logged out of Facebook and only check once a day now for notifications. So far it is working!
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Finished "Eleanor Oliphant..." It was a slow burner to start, but there came a point where I was hooked and couldn't put it down.

I'm basing my book choices as far as possible on the PopSugar 2019 reading challenge, so next up is "a book that makes you nostalgic". For me, this is the children's book "The Angel of Nitshill Road" by Anne Fine (from the library). Until I was 5, I lived in the Nitshill area of Glasgow, and have a lot of memories, so it seemed appropriate. When I was teaching, I read several Anne Fine books to my classes - and enjoyed them all.

Happy reading!
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport