* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Pennydropped
    Options
    Brilliant!! I've been looking to replace the Christmas sectioned plates my children have had for a few years, and I found some at Matalan. Ordered.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Productive day getting little bits towards Christmas gifts today.

Sainsburys have 25% off clothing until Monday so picked up some trousers and a tshirt for Mum's partner so that's him sorted. Also found some nice decorative hanging plaques which will be nice for my brother and his girlfriend who have just bought their first home.

Picked up a couple of items towards the toiletry sets I put together - i picked up some cheap bottle crates a few weeks ago at work so the toiletries are going into those.

Wilko still had lots of seeds in stock with good sow by dates so got a selection to go with Mum's greenhouse. Also it's non christmassy but found some lovely gift boxes discounted to 62p so picked up four of those :rotfl: - can't resist a reduction sticker

Also called into Matalan. Few bits I want to order from the christmas bits online but whilst looking I saw a mug i wanted for other half's daughter ...didn't trust that to arrive safe in the post! Thankfully it was in stock in the store.

Need to sort out my christmas cupboard as it's ended up full of bedding and duvets haha. And now I have picked up a fair bit towards Christmas I need to store it rather than just dumping it in the spare room
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    apricity wrote: »
    is it too early to start buying gift cards for christmas?

The only risks I can suggest with this are;

1. Are you buying for places that might be at risk of going under between now and Christmas? iTunes and Amazon will be fine, for example, but it's been a bad year for high street shops. I don't think you have many rights if a shop goes under while you have a valid gift card for them.

2. Check the Ts&Cs for your chosen retailers as some gift cards expire after a certain amount of time if they've not been used. Some places expire them after a few years, but in the past I've heard some retailers have only given 6 months.

Otherwise no, I don't think it's too early to buy gift cards! :)
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    apricity rather than buying the gift cards now, how about putting the £ aside and getting them nearer the time, just in case the very worst may happen to any of the retaillers you buy the cards for?

All this talk of Xmas, I ordered a mermaid blanket for one of my DN. I'd seen it on the Aldi site before then it disappeared and now it's back on. It was a bit galling to have to pay delivery but we don't have one that near to us and I figured if I went to store it a) may not be in stock b) I'd prob end up spending more than the £2.95 delivery in stuff I hadn't gone in for,

Need to check my list and see who else I need to buy for, often now is the time I want to keep adding bits to gifts I've prev bought, which kind of defeats the purpose.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Thanks GYD, I do love a bit of The Range.:D

VINTAGEHISTORIAN that’s good advice, when shops fail it’s usually gift card holders that are last in line. I’m always amazed that Argos are still holding on and with things as they are you just don’t know who’s going next.

Welcome PENNYDROPPED, looks like you’re going to have to be very sneaky.

DGD (9) was horrified the other day because her friend’s mum told him there’s no such thing as Father Christmas. DGD totally believes in both F.C. and Rosie her elf and is now quite worried about him because he no longer believes. I still believe even though i know it was me supplying the girls’ pressies every year.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    I think Argos have managed to hold on because their delivery service is very good. We've never had them go over our chosen time slot, and they text when you'll get the delivery in the next 30 minutes. They only fail when they use Yodel for some deliveries, it was like chalk and cheese!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spent almost all day yesterday at Sheffield comicon with Dd , she loved it me not so much but its over so today im just going to chill .

I got a copy of Dd's PIP report its very accurate so i'm hoping the decision maker sees things the same way .This waiting game is a pain !

Lovely to see the chat picking up it must mean its getting closer to christmas .:xmastree:
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    VINTAGE - I have to agree regarding Argos. We've purchased things from them solely because we could get them same day delivery.
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    We have a massive older TV that we no longer use that I need to get out of the house and over to the tip. It's just taking up room in the corner of the living room where the Christmas tree will be going. I guess that means I have a couple months to sort it. Right now it's a "Christmas tree placemarker."
  • Linz4383
    Linz4383 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 24 August 2018 at 12:31PM
    Options
    Oòooo I'm excited to have found this thread again! Going to spend some time having a read through. I used to follow before but had a newborn and 2 year so life got busy!
    Anyway they're now 3 1/2 and nearly 2 so it's a bit easier
    Christmas prep is well under way here 3 nieces and nephews all finished just awaiting vouchers for my 3 kids although they do have some bits and bobs already I'm always on the lookout for some bargains
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure